Bad lands/breaks country mule deer

Honestly, it's too hard to even guess with those pictures. I can't even tell if it's a 3x3, 4x4, 3x4, etc. Back forks look decent, but can't see the fronts at all.

Agreed. If the fronts match the backs he would be a pretty decent buck.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
How did the ND Badlands treat everyone this year? Dirtytough and his wife did well (see his write up in the hunting stories form) and I got a doe that their kid and my two helped gut and drag.

Good luck. July in the Badlands should be interesting.

We hunt around the Badlands here in SD. Love it.

Are you from SD or just hunt there? Trying to figure all this out as a non resident. With archery deer tag can I hunt whitetail and mike deer? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
I live here. Archery tag is for any deer.

South Dakota Game Fish and Parks has an excellent website.

We shot our antelope in the shadow of the Badlands this year. Don't see many deer, but aren't really looking either.

OP
BrentLaBere

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
How did the ND Badlands treat everyone this year? Dirtytough and his wife did well (see his write up in the hunting stories form) and I got a doe that their kid and my two helped gut and drag.

Mine didnt quite go as planned. But I did notch my tag. Ill have to post up a small write up about it.
Just got done checking out dirtytough's story. That was good stuff.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pics from trophy doe. Good opportunity for lessons in biology--"guts are cool"--and the joys of dragging a whole critter.

WTBW7PK.jpg

DPvv9OD.jpg

GmJ2JKw.jpg

OP
BrentLaBere

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a shortened version of the story I had typed up. I could add the full story to the other part of the forum.

Trying to coordinate with family and work it seems like my time afield is getting limited. My daughters birthday and Thanksgiving and trying to coordinate with work..... Friday is a day I can hunt! The weather looks rough, but its all I got. Hitting the road early I arrived to my spot with plenty of time to prepare. The forecast is calling for wind and snow. Plenty of rain coming down at first shooting light slowly starting to turn to big snow flakes. Glassing was very difficult. Spotting a few does early on but nothing with them. Moving to the next ridge line I take my time peeking over. 5 does and a good buck! They have no idea im there and with a good wind this should be a chip shot! 300 yards down the hill they slip just out of sight. I slowly move down and around the butte in front of me. As I peer over the edge looking for the buck I get busted by a fawn. She is pretty clueless as to what I am and we have a stand off. While im waiting for her to calm down I hear the loud crack of a rifle in the same drainage I am hunting. 5 shots in total and the deer start to act a little frantic. Double back on me and move up the direction I came from. Being too aggressive, and with the deer on edge, I bump them up and over the ridge. Dang... time to move on.
The snow is starting to come down heavier now and glassing is getting very difficult. I find a good perch and try to look the spotter with very little luck. Binos arent much help either.View attachment 82477View attachment 82478

Attachments

• IMG_20181116_092151930_HDR - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20181116_092151930_HDR - Copy.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20181116_092142410_HDR - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20181116_092142410_HDR - Copy.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 92
OP
BrentLaBere

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
In the tree line below me I watch a rutted up whitetail chasing a doe all over the place. Really good entertainment. This doe wanted nothing to do with this buck but he wasnt taking no for an answer. They had to be putting the miles with both of them panting for air with open mouths. No other deer spotted and just as im getting ready to move on a buck is spotted running right at me! quick look in the binos before he goes out of sight, he looks like a nice buck. Heck it looked like he had kickers on him. I get excited. quick decision that this buck could be the one! With the buck coming up the ridge right at me, he should come into the clearing on the bench 100 yards away. Im frantic at this point trying to clean out my scope. Tough to see through it with the water and snow build up. The buck appears and I had very little time to look him over. Hes on the move and my window is small. No time to size this deer up and im excited. Ive always said if a deer gets me excited hes the one I should take. Lined the cross hairs up and squeezed the trigger. I catch a glimpse of him hunching up and moving to the edge of the bench. slowly trying to walk off he tips over. Wow that was fast.
Walking up on him with a lot of anticipation, im not even sure what I have here. He was my first mule deer buck and I had set the bar high. Higher than this. I had a good laugh about it but there was small part of me that was disappointed. That quick look at the kickers turned out to be his small back forks. I know there are bigger ones out there and the long wait for the tag my hunt is now over. Bitter sweet ending really. The hunt was fun and the meat will be good. I take some pictures and start the dressing process. It was a long drive home that day with the rough weather conditions.View attachment 82481View attachment 82482View attachment 82483

Attachments

• IMG_20181116_092954213 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20181116_092954213 - Copy.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_20181116_093649666 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20181116_093649666 - Copy.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20181116_104422361 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20181116_104422361 - Copy.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 105
OP
BrentLaBere

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
Quite the relief getting home. Should have taken some pictures of my ice covered truck. Cracked open the garage to cool the meat down and made do with a broom and small ladder to hang the meat! haha. Starting the butchering process and decided it could double down and start cleaning the head for a euro mount.
View attachment 82489View attachment 82490

I have it cleaned out and sitting in 3% peroxide. Should be done by the weekend. Ill have to post up the final product. Hoping I didnt rush the process like I rushed the shot! I always wonder how good the mounts will be long term with the de greasing process I do.
View attachment 82491

Attachments

• IMG_20181116_155710511 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20181116_155710511 - Copy.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20181116_155629509 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20181116_155629509 - Copy.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20181117_131723438 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20181117_131723438 - Copy.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 98

JA03

FNG
Brent, great write up. I wouldnt be ashamed to hang that buck on my wall. Job well done Sir.

EastMT

WKR
That’s a beautiful buck, I’d take him in a heartbeat. It’s about the fun not the inches!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
Loved the story, the experience is what makes the hunt, not the antlers, and I'd say you did well with both

sgdevries

FNG
Did the game cams end up providing you with much intel? I tend to see deer in the same general areas down there but not close enough for cameras to help much. During the rut no amount of scouting can turn up most of the bucks that I see down there, so I think patterning deer is more of an early archery tactic. Being in a high traffic spot with lots of visibility is the most effective tactic I have found for November and December. Still saw breeding happening last weekend.

OP
BrentLaBere

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
Some of the bucks I spotted before the rut were in the same drainage when the rut was going on. First weekend of the season I spotted a deer that I am going to go back after, if he made it. But I think they can and will stay close to the area you find them in during the summer. Always exceptions and outside factors that can push them around. I would certainly say they range much further than a whitetail will. I will be placing cameras out there again to see what I can find. Not sure its the best tactic to pattern a deer. I agree with you and I would go for glassing and keeping distance to not disturb the deer and put scent in the area. If its a water hole or a likely funnel point, I'm certainly going to place a camera out. I just enjoy looking at the pictures.