Bad lands/breaks country mule deer

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a rifle buck tag for mule deer this year. Time frame will be in November. Ive been to the unit I drew in the last two years helping others. A long with some scouting. I plan on putting out some trail cameras and glassing. Getting to know the country is top priority. Opening weekend I should have 3 and a half days of hunting. Second weekend I wont be able to go, daughters birthday, but can leave that Sunday for the entire last week of the season. Approximately 10 to 12 days of hunting. Last time I was out helping out for a buck tag, we had the most success being patient and finding the does. This is a rut hunt. What I am curious about is if anyone has had success finding bucks during the summer months and hunting those areas later in the year. I dont believe these bucks have any type of migration. They will bachelor up and seek seclusion after they shed velvet. Is it worth seeking out individual deer? How large of a range do you think they may have? My mule deer hunting has been limited. Most of the time I have went for whitetails and understand how small those older bucks will stick to home and what has worked for their lives. I just dont have a clue what the range would be for a mule deer buck in the badlands and breaks type country. If I find a decent buck, can I expect him to stick to that drainage throughout the rut or do they go completely rouge? Looking for some pointers on scouting. Heading out for the maiden voyage this weekend.

I hunt the ND grasslands and I have seen bucks 4 miles away from summer to rut. The thing I have noticed is that a lot of the areas I see bucks in the summer there aren't a lot of doe's around and vice versa. So the bucks are traveling to find the doe's, not migrating. I also saw a buck about 3 miles away opening day of archery from where I saw it end of July. Not sure why that buck moved that far since the other bucks in that area where still within a half mile.

Regards, Branden

OP
BrentLaBere

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt the ND grasslands and I have seen bucks 4 miles away from summer to rut. The thing I have noticed is that a lot of the areas I see bucks in the summer there aren't a lot of doe's around and vice versa. So the bucks are traveling to find the doe's, not migrating. I also saw a buck about 3 miles away opening day of archery from where I saw it end of July. Not sure why that buck moved that far since the other bucks in that area where still within a half mile.

Regards, Branden

Thats what I was expecting. For the most part learning some areas is my plan. Ive had some sketchy creek crossing in the dark before. Nice to avoid those unless you find a nice beaver dam! I can always target a good buck early on with my bow and I guess I shouldnt expect a buck to stay too close. On the other hunts ive went on, during November, targeting does and sitting tight was the best option. Seemed like it was a matter of time before the bucks would show up to check them. Its always a tough decision to move on or be patient. Whats you opinion on that? Move or wait for what they are looking for?

Muleys32

Lil-Rokslider
I have seen a mix. Last year I shot a halfway decent buck on October 1st that I had first seen July 8th. It was about half of a mile from where I first had seen him.IMG_8217.jpgIMG_8192.jpg

OP
BrentLaBere

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
Nice work. Looks like you punched a hole in him
Plan is to hit the road nice and early tomorrow. The temps are looking brutal.

Fatcamp

WKR
Good luck. July in the Badlands should be interesting.

We hunt around the Badlands here in SD. Love it.

I have seen a mix. Last year I shot a halfway decent buck on October 1st that I had first seen July 8th. It was about half of a mile from where I first had seen him.

Nice buck congrats! I would expect them to be fairly close like you noted that time of year unless pressure bumps them out. Once the rut kicks in all bets are off on how far they will travel.

Brent I'm a glass and move type of guy. If I glass for awhile and don't see what I'm looking for I move. Even if there is a group of does without a big buck with them. Thing is a lot of top end bucks get killed every year in ND during rifle season because its so open and a couple weeks during the rut. So not every group of does will be bred by a big buck. Just to many does and not enough big bucks to go around. A couple years ago I watched a group of 19 does and fawns off and on for a week and never saw a big buck with them. Maybe I was there at the wrong time but there were a couple mediocre bucks but nothing big when I checked them. So I will keep moving until I find what I want.

OP
BrentLaBere

BrentLaBere

Lil-Rokslider
I may need to adjust my boots. Tried some new ones and had been breaking them in around my place. Turns our putting 9 miles on them shows their true colors (fit). View attachment 75401

Attachments

• IMG_20180714_100309469.jpg
    IMG_20180714_100309469.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 171

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Let me know when you’re headed out to hunt. I might be available to help pack out

I drew a mulie doe tag so shouldn’t have much trouble filling that, but I’m always up for a hike in the Badlands. I just spent the weekend out there and saw a few small bucks.

NDMULEY

FNG
I also hunt the ND badlands and have noticed that the big bucks you see early move when the rut hits. I like to hike in and glass and move. Stay mobile and glass a lot of areas. The badlands in the fall are a spectacular place to be.

ND_muley

Lil-Rokslider
I spend quite a bit of time out there and things really change once Nov rolls around. However one of my hunting buddies check out our area briefly and quickly spotted one of the bucks we had seen several times last fall. He stands out in a crowd. I drew my muley tag this year too after 7 years in the draw. Good luck out there!

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My offer to help pack stands for all. I can’t predict my schedule very far in advance, but contact me ahead of your hunt and I may be able to lend a hand.

NDGuy

WKR
Love all the ND people in the thread!

How rough is rifle deer nowadays? Anyone else draw? I have 1 tag in 8 years for drawing WHITETAIL! Bought my Tikka 8 years ago when I worked at Gander MTN. Used it once in my own state.

I got rejected on a unit this year with a 90% draw chance last year.

I might be making a trip to SD or MT for archery deer or antelope to drown out my sorrows..