Australia hunter mule deer questions

Hi All

I am looking to come over to the USA next year with my dad who has never left the country before for a hunt after Mule deer and maybe an elk. I am trying to leave plenty of time to do research, talk to people etc about how to best go about it.

I am looking to hunt free range deer only, we want to actively hunt for the deer via stalking / glassing etc. I am not interested in sitting in blinds all day or high fence options
Happy to hunt pretty much anywhere in the states.

Due to coming from Australia i think my best option would be to hire a guide for my time over there, what are peoples thoughts on this and do you all have any recommendations on good guides or outfitters etc.
My dad and I are both very fit active hunters who chase Sambar deer over hounds and we regularly cover anywhere upto 15k a day on foot chasing them on weekends through the mountains of Australia

Anyway i look forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions on how i should best go about arranging this hunt

Cheers Josh

Kiwi

FNG
I've hunted North America a few times and found DIY / hunt swaps the way to go. If you do decide to go DIY then for mule deer you could look at Colorado, but with out a preference point you'll be looking to draw one of the less in demand units which may still be fine if you put in the effort. Idaho might be a good option as no points and you'll have the same odds as any one else. Anyway hope you make the trip and happy to answer any questions you may have. I'm heading over this Sept to hunt high country mule deer, and black bear, in Colorado.

oldgoat

WKR
Are you wanting to hunt high country or does it matter? There are lots of units here in Colorado that you can draw with zero points. If I was traveling as far as you and wanted to make sure I got some stalks in on quality animals and was willing to pay the money I would try to go to that place in Alberta that Aron Snyder goes to, I'll try and get you a link. It's not a place to elk hunt though!

"ALBERTA" MULE DEER HUNT with GRITTY BOWMEN - YouTube

Montana has elk and mule deer combo tags, Idaho has both over the counter, and Colorado offers otc elk and easy to draw deer tags.

If you want to hunt early season, Colorado muzzleloader could be a good option. You can likely draw elk and mule deer.

If you want to hunt later, I would look at Montana.