Elk hunter needs help with dow deer hunt?

Hello Rokslide,

2018 started of pretty rough for us with zero draws for Elk in all states applied. Still researching OTC’s. So in somewhat of a panic we started to shotgun apps for anything available and wouldn’t you know it I drew two deer tags. One of which is a doe tag in Antimony, UT. This hunt starts on August 1st and temps have been in the 80’ in the day and mid 50’s at night. It’s a small unit. I’ve e-scoutted it to death and have narrowed it down to three areas. All three are next to farms with somewhat green fields in this timeframe (google earth) that border BLM and or NF land. My idea is to catch a deer coming off the fields and or farm waters at day break.

I haven’t hunted deer in over 20 years. I guess I’m just looking to the experts to see how solid my plan is or to see how crazy I am. Thanks in advance for any info or tips.

Samson
[email protected]

bsnedeker

WKR
Hello Rokslide,

2018 started of pretty rough for us with zero draws for Elk in all states applied. Still researching OTC’s. So in somewhat of a panic we started to shotgun apps for anything available and wouldn’t you know it I drew two deer tags. One of which is a doe tag in Antimony, UT. This hunt starts on August 1st and temps have been in the 80’ in the day and mid 50’s at night. It’s a small unit. I’ve e-scoutted it to death and have narrowed it down to three areas. All three are next to farms with somewhat green fields in this timeframe (google earth) that border BLM and or NF land. My idea is to catch a deer coming off the fields and or farm waters at day break.

I haven’t hunted deer in over 20 years. I guess I’m just looking to the experts to see how solid my plan is or to see how crazy I am. Thanks in advance for any info or tips.

Samson
[email protected]

You're on the right track...does are almost entirely motivated by feed during hunting season. Find the food, you'll find the does.

Maverick940

Banned
That strategy has worked for me on trophy-class mule deer in Arizona, California and Oregon. I don't see why it wouldn't work when hunting doe mule deer in Utah.

OP
J
Thank you both for the reassurance :).

Samson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J
d60f65bbe4739e2e6c7a7afa86390921.jpg

e68c493992ffe455c990b345e27c639e.jpg

5f200f6913a0ba7bf543ec8f3d642ab3.heic

0d6fa07a41c1a79ccf787fea7c00f315.heic

Thanks guys, plan worked to the T. Watched the only six farms in the unit (that but up against public) for two days of scouting and found one that held 5-15 deer ever morning and evening. Then found one that had heavy sign on the BLM side on the fence. Day one of the hunt (Aug 1) I found a bedding area between the private field and the BLM. The next morning (Aug 2) at 5am I set up on a hill 300 yards from beds and overlooking the BLM spot where I found the tracks. Wind would be blowing from east to west in the am which was great for me being that I was due south of the target area. At gray light I spotted four does and two bucks out in the field. As the sun started to rise the deer slowly grouped up as they did each morning and then moved together towards the edge of the alfalfa. Once at the fence line I noticed that one of the does we’re missing. Wile I was glassing the other areas of this field and totally getting sidetracked by a nice 4x5 velvet buck in the next unit over the missing doe came over the fence. As I glassed back I see her standing there on BLM with not a care in the world. Rifle went up on the side of my Bino tripod, ranged her at 276, crosshairs on high shoulder/low neck. Light squeeze and pow! She ran zero yard and dropped in her tracks. Reloaded and watched her through the scope for a bit. She didn’t get up. Grabbed my gear and walked down the hill where I found her where I put her down. Shot at 7:01 am, Caped, quartered, on ice, packed the vehicle and was on the road by 8:30a. First doe, first doe hunt for that matter lol. Been more of an elk guy for years but had a blast on this “warm up hunt” as keep telling myself leading up to it. But after seeing some nice bucks and after taking this doe I will be adding to my already crazy schedule with a couple deer hunts each year.

Thanks again to all the Roksliders. So much great info that it’s almost impossible to keep up. 🤪

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk