My brain hurts....help needed

ncstewart

WKR
If I only want to hunt a general deer tag in Montana next year do I just need preference point? Do I need bonus points only for limited units? I am struggling to get the system there no matter how many times that I go over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Preference points are for the elk, deer and elk/deer combination licenses that include a general season tag for those species. Preference points don't give you chances, they put you in a group ahead of other hunters. More points, closer to the front of the line. Bonus points don't apply here.

Bonus points are for special tags like moose, sheep, goat, and the limited entry deer and elk tags. Bonus points give you more chances in the special draw. Preference points have nothing to do with this part of the draw.

If all you want is a general tag, you only apply for that and burn your preference points.

If you want to apply for a limited entry tag as well, you apply for the deer, elk, or deer/elk combination license as above, and on the same form you also mark down which limited entry permit you want to try for and your bonus points come into play in this second part of the draw.

If you are unsuccessful for the general tag, you obviously don't get the LE tag and get to hunt some other state. If you are successful for the general tag, you may or may not get the LE tag, but you still get to hunt any open general unit.

Jeremy

OP
ncstewart

ncstewart

WKR
Thank you. Now if only Montana will copy and paste that to their web page it would simplify a lot.

If I only want to hunt a general deer tag in Montana next year do I just need preference point? Do I need bonus points only for limited units? I am struggling to get the system there no matter how many times that I go over it.

That’s why i quit going to montana, they increased prices then added all these other fees and and draws which made it more complicated.

In Montana, if you buy bonus points, can you stockpile them even after you draw a general tag to save for a better tag? Or once you draw a general tag, do you need to use your bonus points at that time and apply for a controlled hunt tag? Are there reasonably good units that nonresidents can draw with less than 10 points?

In Montana, if you buy bonus points, can you stockpile them even after you draw a general tag to save for a better tag? Or once you draw a general tag, do you need to use your bonus points at that time and apply for a controlled hunt tag? Are there reasonably good units that nonresidents can draw with less than 10 points?

Yes, you can stockpile bonus points. You do not need to apply for any limited entry units with your bonus points if you draw a general tag, you can keep building.

And it would depend on what you consider reasonably good. The thing to keep in mind with Montana is that they have a bonus points system which means no matter if you have max points or not, you’re never guaranteed a tag. So if you want to try to apply for a harder to draw tag (10 bonus point type units would be in that category) you never really know when you’re gonna draw, and on top of that it’s relatively expensive unless you plan on hunting the general tag. That’s because you have to draw the general tag first, pay for it, then hope you draw your limited entry tag. If you don’t want to hunt the general tag you’re stuck with only an 80% refund which amounts to $200+ down the drain.

Montana isn’t a great state to apply for difficult to draw limited entry tags unless you either have money to burn or you’re gonna hunt the general tag regardless of whether you draw a limited entry tag.