2018 Best Buck Mule Deer Photo Contest, sponsored by Kryptek

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

We're back! This is the third year of this contest and is bound to be the best. Our friends at Kryptek have put up a $750 Gift Certificate for 1st place this year!!!! Just think of hitting the Kryptek Store with a free pass to spend $750 bucks on your gear of choice. That will be you if you win 1st place (2nd and 3rd place are listed at the bottom)

Jordan Kauer (spdrman) took the gold last year with this winning photo:

attachment.php

This is NOT a biggest buck contest, but a "best photo" contest. The winning 2018 photo will be judged on the following criteria and rules:

1) WOW Factor. Is it a great photo that grabs the viewer? This takes in lighting, color, uniqueness, etc.

2) Composition- by that I mean the way in which the different parts that make up your photo are arranged- is there too much background, not enough animal? or visa versa? Are the antler tips out of the frame or the hunters head cut off? Or is it a good balance between the buck, the hunter, the terrain? (the hunter is not required to appear in the photo.)

3) Size of animal. This doesn't mean biggest animal wins, but if #1 and #2 are equal, we'll chose the bigger animal.

4) Must be a photo of a buck harvested in 2018

5) Between archery season and December 10th, post up your best 2018 harvest photo.

6) One photo per buck only. If you harvest multiple bucks, you can enter one photo for each

7) Also, by posting on this thread, you agree to let Rokslide and Kryptek use any of the photos in promotional material without compensation

8) Any international winner is responsible for border tax, custom fees, excessive postage fees, etc.

As I said last year, I'm including Rokslide members for the judging portion of this contest. Once we close the contest to entries, I'll have members vote on all the photos to narrow down it down to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.

We'll also be offering for 2nd place, the ever popular Rokslide Kill Kit

and for 3rd place, a signed copy of my book
attachment.php

Hunting Big Mule Deer: How to Take the Best Buck of Your Life

Be sure and subscribe at "Thread Tools", top of this post so you don't miss some great photography and winner announcements in December

Last edited:

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
Well I'll start it off. Got my 1st archery buck this year opening morning. Thanks to the two brothers from Iowa for taking the picture and helping me get it out!

For those who are wondering, it was shot with my iphone 5 and edited in paint

806d002b6779f028b7966ab5f9617a62.jpg

Last edited:
7774381bdb7785f60cd5030ac72cb399.jpg

2018 Washington state mule deer. I shot him in the north cascades outside of one of the most remote towns in the lower 48, it is only accessible by ferry or hiking and is located on the west side of Lake Chelan. The name of the town is Steheiken and man was it beautiful. This buck isn’t huge but is my first muley with a bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hersh2209

Lil-Rokslider
Everything came together opening morning of Muzzleloader season in Colorado on Saturday. At 9:40 this buck came by with another buck that was smaller. 33 steps ....broadside shot. the smokepole put him down quick. It was an exciting morning. About an hour earlier two big Bull Moose were sparring 55 yards from me making all kinds of noise and commotion. I'm sending the tooth off to Robby to get the ring counted for age. I have this Buck on trail camera last year. I'm excited to see exactly how old he was.. LView attachment 79039ast year he had a bigger set of Antlers!

RyanG505

FNG
Opening morning Colorado muzzleloader buck! We backpacked in a decent way to some pretty epic country and I was able to take my first animal with a muzzleloader shortly after my buddy took his best buck to date...

9b99f44d3525f2a3b8c77a5575b736b6.jpg

CareyJAF50

Lil-Rokslider
Opening morning CO muzzy buck. Doubled up with Ryan from a few posts up! Helluva morning.
980ad4cd0dc38e85141535547d430c31.jpg

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
8dd880b132707fb78e30962ed3df9146.jpg

My 12 yr old with his first big game animal this yr in BC.. Priceless how he can't take his eyes off the horns. Then I made him pack 50lbs of it out, my pack was light hahaha.

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Bignasty. I love that pic! Lots captured in that moment

Last edited:

vanish

WKR
I was really hoping to participate in this thread but my wife had to go and kill her buck at last light. Makes for tough photos! :rolleyes:

Maybe I'll get lucky and find one in Nebraska.

I like yours so far, Carey.

Jordan F

FNG
Eastern Oregon 4x6, my best muley so far. Lots of awesome memories!
9b1df4765525fdea5dbd817b5c41922a.jpg

Flatlander from KS. This was my first high country early season rifle tag for Colorado. After 3 days of not seeing a buck, I finally spotted 2 bucks at the tree line at 900 yards. I worked my way around the rim and managed to drop in from above within 50 yards. I was pumped to harvest my first buck in velvet. There wasn’t anyone with me to take a picture and I was lucky just to keep the buck from rolling down the steep mountain. I’m got bit by the bug and ready to hunt some more western states.

d5e1c3ae357df8943d43b0ee5c7f1af3.jpg

Jordan F

FNG
Flatlander from KS. This was my first high country early season rifle tag for Colorado. After 3 days of not seeing a buck, I finally spotted 2 bucks at the tree line at 900 yards. I worked my way around the rim and managed to drop in from above within 50 yards. I was pumped to harvest my first buck in velvet. There wasn’t anyone with me to take a picture and I was lucky just to keep the buck from rolling down the steep mountain. I’m got bit by the bug and ready to hunt some more western states.

d5e1c3ae357df8943d43b0ee5c7f1af3.jpg

My first mule deer, first backpack hunt, first time into the backcountry of Wyoming. Truly an epic adventure!
360badbd1ead4dff3d8a9028528b21ee.jpg

Last edited:

D16

FNG
Here is my first archery mule deer.
Taken in Utah after watching him for 2 days and a 5.5 hour stalk Everything came together.
It’s my trophy.

b1ad7f6cbd0459a6f16081a4d2e9a1cb.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord