Early mulies

Ok. I have a confession to make. I love archery season.....but not for the reason that most archers do. Most guys are tossing and turning every night of August in its entirety dreaming of bugles getting closer and closer. I'm not. I'm dreaming of that moment when I finally spot a big mulie in a little patch of shade at 10,000 ft high in a backcountry basin. Sure, I pack elk calls and larger game bags with an elk tag just in case I run into a bull that thinks I should decorate his chest with a Gold Tip, but I'm really after a gnarly, wise old buck that I have almost no chance of shooting. Elk are certainly fun, but is there any 'Sliders that get worn out on the constant elk drivel and just long to be leaving your pack and boots stashed while starting your final stalk on a buck that's eluded you and all others for several years. ANYONE??

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Starting with an elk hunt this year and hoping like hell to get a Mulie tag next so I can experience just that insanity myself - i know I am going to love it.

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
From the first time I saw an elk in the backcountry, I was obsessed with elk hunting. Still am.

I never cared much about mule deer because I thought, "it's just a deer"... big whoop. All that changed when I put a tag in my pocket. When I sailed an arrow over the back of a nice velvet 4 point 3 years ago in Colorado, I caught the bug. I killed a better 4x5 during rifle on public land in Texas that year (there is such a place, trust me) and the obsession spiraled out of control. I missed a great 4 pt velvet buck in the high, high country of Colorado last year during archery and put a 4 hour stalk on a NM dunes buck to get to within 35 and never got a shot. I now understand the muley obsession, esp early season high country archery hunts. All I could muster this year was a leftover tag for archery in Colorado 34. I'm thinking right now that I might not even hunt that tag since my the OTC Elk unit that I know pretty well is 5 hours away. It will be a struggle to figure out what to do. I'm hunting the whole month of archery elk/deer, but I know nothing about 34. I'm dealing with a lotta shit here. :)

gumbl3

WKR
From the first time I saw an elk in the backcountry, I was obsessed with elk hunting. Still am.

I never cared much about mule deer because I thought, "it's just a deer"... big whoop. All that changed when I put a tag in my pocket. When I sailed an arrow over the back of a nice velvet 4 point 3 years ago in Colorado, I caught the bug. I killed a better 4x5 during rifle on public land in Texas that year (there is such a place, trust me) and the obsession spiraled out of control. I missed a great 4 pt velvet buck in the high, high country of Colorado last year during archery and put a 4 hour stalk on a NM dunes buck to get to within 35 and never got a shot. I now understand the muley obsession, esp early season high country archery hunts. All I could muster this year was a leftover tag for archery in Colorado 34. I'm thinking right now that I might not even hunt that tag since my the OTC Elk unit that I know pretty well is 5 hours away. It will be a struggle to figure out what to do. I'm hunting the whole month of archery elk/deer, but I know nothing about 34. I'm dealing with a lotta shit here. :)

If this wasn't a draw tag I've been to such a place, several times.

I got the mulie bug too, find some way to chase them every year, only a couple more weeks and I'll be in NM

FlyGuy

WKR
Usually an elk hunter, but This will be my 1st season to carry a deer tag in my pocket.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
It’s so bad I have dreams about dreaming about mule deer! I must confess the only reason I carry a cow call is to settle deer down that I bump that haven’t winded me yet.

jimmy33

WKR
I am a mile deer hunter through and through. I’ve killed ten elk and still put in for ultra high quality tags in one state for them, but all the rest of my hunt are centered around mule deer. I quit elk hunting, except for if I get drawn once every ten years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catahoula

WKR
As mentioned, I too am true to heart after elk with my bow but I would certainly like to spot up a nice mule deer to stalk. I could change gears easily and put an elk on hold to give it a go on a buck.

dchat13

FNG
Id have to agree but I'm more into the monster desert muley's that can truly play games with your mind hunting them in the early season.

OP
B
Desert mulies definitely offer their own unique set of challenges. Open country, typically more hunters, warmer temperatures. Easily as challenging as high country. The reason I prefer high country is simply access. Idaho's lower desert type country is mostly managed by the BLM, and is laced with roads. Too many messed up stalks from other hunters simply driving by and bumping a buck. Other states farther south don't seem to have as big of a problem with this. I'd love to chase an educated old buck in the volcanic sage country with a stick n string.

I was dead set to hunt only elk until my first trip to Colorado in June of this year. I moved to Texas from New Hampshire for work and knew it would get me close to western hunting. After seeing the high country and watching mule deer all I could think about was hunting them and spending time in thier habitat. I won't turn down otc elk tags but I'm far more excited about mule deer and black bear hunting now than I thought I would be.

Still waiting for archery mule deer draw results here in Texas. I am hatching plans to apply for muley tags in other states for 2019. I am looking everywhere and anywhere I can hunt mule deer with my bow. They are amazing animals.

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
A fire cancelled California blacktail trip has now turned into a last minute 6 day backcountry solo muley adventure in Idaho. Should be fun, first time I’ll be after only a muley buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B
My season got rearranged Friday when I found out I'd drawn a really good mulie tag in the second chance drawing. It's an October hunt, leaving me with only elk to hunt during archery season. A quick trip to purchase another tag and now I can hunt archery bucks again and rifle as well. My whole season just got tons better.