NE Wyoming Tips and Tricks

KGRoth

FNG
Howdy Folks - Not looking for anyone's secret spots here but I am looking for some advice/tips/tricks for lower country mule deer in early October in Northeast Wyoming. Most all information available out there and clearly the most exciting Mule Deer hunting is obviously high county but for a first time Muley hunter just trying to get my feet wet in the game I am starting with an easy to draw tag where I can add some antelope does to the cooler as well. Thanks in advance!!

Get OnX and glass glass glass. The density of animals is not that high, even on the private ground. And, to complicate matters, they're usually in small groups that time of year.

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
Will be hunting NE Wyoming for my third year this season with friends. As others have said, glass and glass some more. Early season if the temp is warm, look for shade. Bucks want to get out of the heat and will lay up in the smallest area that offers shade . we have killed several deer that were escaping the heat the last few years.

In early October in NE Wyoming the mule deer could be looking for shade (temps could be in the 80's) or they could be trying to find a place to get out of a blizzard. A few years ago it snowed a foot the first couple days of October. So, be prepared for any kind of weather.,

As mentioned, spend time glassing, especially in the morning and evening. If you are hunting public land, try to find a place that is close to an alfalfa field. The deer usually feed in the hay fields at night and head for the hills after it gets light. Make sure you stay on the public land or land that you have permission to hunt. Landowners don't take kindly to hunters trespassing.

In NE WY there are much better quality mule deer out on the prairie than in the high country of the Bighorn Mountains.

ClearCreek