Idaho OTC tag hunt?

So I just got stationed here in Idaho. Never hunted in the mountains before but have hunted my whole life. while stationed in Germany I got to be good buddies with the guy who let me hunt on his property. well I'm returning the favor and trying to guide him on Muley hunt. Hunting in general is not new to either of us, just mountain hunting mule deer is. I'm looking for any tips or pointers to help us out. he only has 5 day to hunt. I have been looking at unit 43 as its closeish to home and I'm some what familiar with the pine, featherville area. been up there fishing the river. I understand soldier mountain get slammed pretty hard with road hunters. I'm possibly looking at hunting north of the river. I don't have and ATV so we will be on foot the whole time. not looking for honey holes just pointed in the right direction. I also saw the area I'm looking at was burned 10 years ago. would unit 39 be better? after reading reports last year had something like 14,000 hunters in it were unit 43 only had like 3,000.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for your service. It's hard to get away from the crowds in 39 and 43. It's important though and with work it's possible. The hunting is better at the start and end of the season. Feel free to PM me with your hunt plan or any questions.

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
43 had 4000 hunters last year. It's also about 1/3 the size of unit 39, so it's just as crowded. You'll have to work pretty hard to get away from the masses. The opener is worth your time if you have some remote, high country bucks patterned, otherwise I would hold off till the very end. Even with all the people, though, those units still produce a lot of deer most years, even a few giants. Good Luck!

OP
HuntInWild88
Where do they go? 44? Why do they migrate out? Is it duento hunting pressure or snow?

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah. 44 and 45. It's crazy that a few of the giants taken in the controlled hunts of 44 and 45 are actually deer that came from super crowded 43.