Doe with antlers?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Got this on the trail cam. There are two twin fawns there and ones trying to nurse. There were other does in previous and post pics but the fawns stayed near this one. I’ve never seen a buck let a fawn in his space. Who knows.

Anyone seen a doe with antlers AND offspring. The Idaho regulations say antlered “antlered” and “antlerless” for this very reason.
6617d74c2084739c9e838c9acdaf3601.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
I seen something like that in walmart once before I stop going there.

HankBC

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a spike with tits in northern BC around 5 years ago. It’s a very rare thing but it does happen!

Guess you'll have to shoot it to find out

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
My question would be what constitutes evidence of sex in Idaho? Antlers are not evidence of sex in Wyoming. I would call that a doe and put an antlerless tag on it in Wyoming if it had that "plumbing".
Interesting question for your warden.

bsnedeker

WKR
My question would be what constitutes evidence of sex in Idaho? Antlers are not evidence of sex in Wyoming. I would call that a doe and put an antlerless tag on it in Wyoming if it had that "plumbing".

Evidence of sex would be the same as any other deer. If this is a female you wouldn't tag it as a male, you would have to tag it as a female and keep the female evidence of sex. However, the REGS say "antlered deer", not "buck" or "doe" in most places for a reason. In most places from what I understand as long as this deer meets the point restrictions you are good either way. They certainly can't expect you to check to see if their are fawns around every buck and make sure they aren't nursing before you take a shot!

My buddies' wife in Tendoy, ID, killed a mulie doe with antlers in 2015. It was running with a small group on deer so unknown who the fawns earlier in the summer belonged to.

Yep, it's a well documented thing, but rare. It's not something you have to worry about being cited for as game laws are written around antler points, not actual sex of the animal.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Hi, antlers or antlerless is what defines buck or doe in Idaho, regardless of plumbing.

wytx

WKR
Sounds like you're good to go.
I would think hard about that harvest. Might be cool to see if she spreads her genes and produces some antlered doe fawns also. Hard choice, it would be a very unusual "trophy."

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I doe know. I’m curious if it has a hormone imbalance regardless of the sex. If it’s a buck just not pushing the fawns off or the fawns aren’t sensing it’s a buck? I thought does with antlers (not just nubs) were sterile?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I doe know. I’m curious if it has a hormone imbalance regardless of the sex. If it’s a buck just not pushing the fawns off or the fawns aren’t sensing it’s a buck? I thought does with antlers (not just nubs) were sterile?

I don’t know

In Idaho, antlers can be used as evidence of sex if left naturally attached to the carcass. If you remove the antlers from the carcass then you must have evidence of sex in the form of genitals or udder attached to some portion of the meat. This deer would have to be tagged as an antlered deer in Idaho. This is on page 100 of the current Idaho big game regulations.

I don’t know how you would tag it or what it would be considered. My grandfather killed a decent 140” mulie buck in Colorado about 20 years ago and had quite the surprise when he rolled it over to gut it, having no male anatomy. Still have the horns on the wall.