Early Archery in Storms?

maxacole

FNG
Headed to S CO this weekend to hunt mulies in the alpine for the first time. The forecast is looking like high mid-50's rain and thunderstorms.

Any tips for hunting in these conditions? Do the deer head lower into the trees when the weather takes a turn?

Thanks all

ckleeves

WKR
I’m not exactly sure what makes them hit the trees sometimes. I have seen them stick it out bedded above t-line like it’s NBD during horrible lightning, rain and even hail storms. Then a few days later move into the trees before or during a storm. So I really have no idea.

The biggest thing I don’t like is the loss of good stalking hours when the storms come. Those early afternoon/noon storms really cut in to having steady wind and or thermals. One of my favorite basins usually has steady wind from 9:00 to about 2:00 giving ample time for a good stalk. Storms throw that out the window and the wind can start getting shifty early making things real tough.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Don’t ignore the lightening. Not worth getting killed over. Get low, they’ll come back out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I got caught above timberline once when scouting for sheep when a fast moving electrical storm blew over a ridge and it is the only time I have ever been truly scared in the mountains.

gumbl3

WKR
Was in S CO hunting above the timber in August last year. That lightning shares the $jfT out of me. And it's there every day.

When the storms come, drop down, you'll end up hunkered up under a tree anyway believe me

As soon as it lets up, run back up and get your glass out, I saw probably the most activity right after the rain

Not a mule deer but was able to stalk and arrow my first Bighorn Ram due to a hard thunderstorm. The herd was visible the whole time I slowly crawled into bow range but distracted and vulnerable due to the winds and thunder. They were bedded and would shake their heads periodically to shake off the rain. Finally shot my ram after the wind subsided and the ram stood up to feed.