"Hunting Big Mule Deer" book is available for purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
No problem Robby! Solid review should be coming in waves from this book. The perfect amount of informative text and photos!
Thanks she is a beautiful little girl who I look forward to introducing to this wonderful outdoor world as soon as she is ready. It makes reading the portion of your book detailing the family bond and prioritizing things that much for important.

Madnik

Lil-Rokslider
Be advised, there is no detailed map of where the big mule deer are. I know.... Very disappointing. ;-)

In all seriousness, Robby's book is a great read and I highly recommend it.

Drift

FNG
It is a well written book. Covers some techniques which are effective but seem to get overlooked these days. It is possible to kill big deer by methods other than spot and stalk!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Drift! And I can say that when you kill a buck by tracking, ambush or still-hunting, the satisfaction in incredible...

rmekus

Lil-Rokslider
Got thru this book in no time, great reading. I got some affirmation of the things I am doing right, and some guidance as to things I could do better. I really enjoyed how you illustrated how taking a Big Mule deer can be a culmination of several techniques! I think this is someplace I can improve as I invest heavily in glassing for spot and stalk and think maybe I spend too much time in locations that are not showing enough promise. Thank Robby

bowhunter15

Lil-Rokslider
Read through the first page of this thread and went over and bought the Kindle version on Amazon. Looking forward to finishing it! So far the only muley book I've read is the High Country one by Guy Eastman. It was good but of course limited to one specific style of hunting.

bowhunter15

Lil-Rokslider
Very good read. I decided that I will probably never consistently take big mulies because of lack of time. I'd never be willing to put more than a week into it every year without giving up whitetail, bear, and turkey hunting at home.

One thing that struck me though was the part about hunting and learning the same area over and over rather than hunting only rare draw areas. Id like to think that by learning the easier draw areas I hunt well and applying the techniques in the book, I might be able to start nocking down above average bucks consistently, which I'd be fine with even if they aren't "big".

dotman

WKR
Great book, read it before season and getting ready to read it again.

Can you see the big guy in this pic, he wouldn't ever come out of cover. Very wide! Never could get closer then 200 based on how he bedded. This is a heavily hunted area that has a 50% draw rate with zero points. I have hunted here for years and each year I learn something new or find a new hidden pocket.

Ended up getting his little cousin.

Robbie's book was a great resource for a guy just getting excited again about mule deer, great info in it! I plan to read it at least 10 times before next season.

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Tim, alright!!!!! Good "cousin" buck, like the height. I can see the wide buck in the top pic. Looks nice and you're pic illustrates where so many big deer live- in the cover!. I assume this was archery?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Very good read. I decided that I will probably never consistently take big mulies because of lack of time. I'd never be willing to put more than a week into it every year without giving up whitetail, bear, and turkey hunting at home.

One thing that struck me though was the part about hunting and learning the same area over and over rather than hunting only rare draw areas. Id like to think that by learning the easier draw areas I hunt well and applying the techniques in the book, I might be able to start nocking down above average bucks consistently, which I'd be fine with even if they aren't "big".

Hey, glad you gave the Kindle version a try and hope you enjoy all those color photos. I love the Kindle.

On your comment about "I will probably never consistently take big muleys" due to lack of time. I disagree and you clarify why in your last sentence.

If you learn a decent area that you can return to year after year, I'd wager that within a few years you'll start taking big mule deer rather consistently as long as the area holds up. A week is plenty, although it could take a few years to start producing.

I mention an anonymous guy in the book who kills big mule deer every year around here. He doesn't hunt mule deer only like me and puts in far less days, too, yet he's killed some great bucks! He's very patient and focuses on a few core areas and doesn't jump all over the place... If you consider "days hunted per big buck killed" he's way ahead of me.

I'm just picky and honestly not that efficient at killing them, so don't let my personal "40 hunting days required per year" limit your thinking. Remember much of my time is spent in average Idaho units cause they're close. If you have better units to hunt, and have a good western draw strategy, you could do well in less time . Just my input.

dotman

WKR
Tim, alright!!!!! Good "cousin" buck, like the height. I can see the wide buck in the top pic. Looks nice and you're pic illustrates where so many big deer live- in the cover!. I assume this was archery?

Nope, Muzzleloader, broke in the knight. The Thor didn't get pass thru but dropped him where he stood. Being new to ML and not getting as much practice in as I wanted, I limited myself to 100 yards max. Shot my deer at 86 yards.

Interesting thing I notice in the 20+ bucks I found, 50% were still in full velvet and the rest hard horned, no in between with velvet half rubbed off.

Last edited:

bowhunter15

Lil-Rokslider
Hey, glad you gave the Kindle version a try and hope you enjoy all those color photos. I love the Kindle.

On your comment about "I will probably never consistently take big muleys" due to lack of time. I disagree and you clarify why in your last sentence.

If you learn a decent area that you can return to year after year, I'd wager that within a few years you'll start taking big mule deer rather consistently as long as the area holds up. A week is plenty, although it could take a few years to start producing.

I mention an anonymous guy in the book who kills big mule deer every year around here. He doesn't hunt mule deer only like me and puts in far less days, too, yet he's killed some great bucks! He's very patient and focuses on a few core areas and doesn't jump all over the place... If you consider "days hunted per big buck killed" he's way ahead of me.

I'm just picky and honestly not that efficient at killing them, so don't let my personal "40 hunting days required per year" limit your thinking. Remember much of my time is spent in average Idaho units cause they're close. If you have better units to hunt, and have a good western draw strategy, you could do well in less time . Just my input.

Cool, appreciate the input. I've started to develop a Western draw strategy including SD, WY, and CO. The first because it's close to MN and I could pretty reasonably scout and hunt there solo even if they don't have the reputation like other states. CO because I saw quite a few mulies elk hunting, know of some 170+ that have been taken there with archery, and would like the opportunity for a September rifle hunt. WY because it's WY. However the smarter choice for me might be to limit myself to two states so I learn that much faster.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
bowhunter15
2-3 states should be plenty. Focus on the harder draws in the states you won't hunt as much and otc or easy draw in the others.

Dotman, I think a buck can rub his antlers in just a few minutes so to catch them "in-between" is kinda rare. Good to hear the Knight did the job. This was the Ultra-Light, right?

dotman

WKR
Yup it was, thanks to you and sabotloader :). Changed out the peep just weeks before as well.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Nice set up Tim keep us posted on the muzzleloader thread about that gun I think it's one of the best back country guns out there. with practice I'm sure you'll become confident to 150 yards in good conditions

Greg Beck

WKR
I bought the kindle version earlier this week. Totally awesome read Robby!!! Haven't finished it yet. Iam a big reader so I can usually tell a great book from a so so book. Lots of great info and very honest and down to earth!! Headed out Monday with my nephew on a 3 day back pack hunt in units 39/43 here in Idaho. Hope to use the info!! Thanks for a great book!!!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Bowbeck good luck in 39 and 43. That's some of my favorite high country. thanks for checking out the Kindle version. glad you like it. I love all the color photos. would appreciate any Amazon reviews. thanks again

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
Great book! I'm almost half way through it, and I have trouble putting it down. Keep up the good work.

Pete

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
Robby,
Treated myself to your book for Christmas, and after reading it for the third time, decided to join the Rokslide bunch. Have been hunting mule deer in Idaho for almost 40 yrs, and have about that many muley books on my shelf...Kirt Darner, Walt Prothero, even Cal Coziah, who probably hunted in your neighborhood for years. Enjoyed the read and found it informative as well as entertaining. It definitely set my mind to dreaming.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Sagebuster- awesome! Glad you're here and good to hear from another chemically imbalanced mule deer hunter. I can't focus either. Grea that you enjoyed the book and look forward to seeing you on Rokslide. We love to hear from guys who've killed 40 muleys!!! And yes, I remember Cal Coziah well.

Status
Not open for further replies.