"Hunting Big Mule Deer" book is available for purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Loved your book Robby. I could not put it down (and I don't read haha).

Whole reason I joined Rokslide was because of this book!

Hey Zach! Welcome to Rokslide. I think you'll find this bunch of guys (and a few gals) some of the most helpful out there. I know I have.

We'd love to hear about your gear, adventures, and any questions you might have.

Thanks for giving the book a read and for joining Rokslide. See you around.

wildcat33

WKR
Just read the book Robbie, well done. I got through it in three nights, which is pretty good considering it usually takes me three months.

I (and maybe others) would love to see a recommended reading list (in addition to what you mention in the book)! Mule deer, elk, tracking, etc.

You emphasized being quiet and still hunting, which Ive had pretty good luck with during archery hunts but sometimes the forest is just so dang dry and crunchy, especially here in Colorado with so much beetle kill and deadfall. I've found that footwear choice is critical. The lighter and more flexible my footwear, the easier it is to be quiet in the woods (for example the Soloman X-Ultra, which is basically a high top trail runner). However, pretty much everywhere I see guys tending towards a heavy and stiff mountaineering boot (Lowa Tibet, Lowa Cevedale, Sportiva Trango, Zamberlan Guide, etc). I've found that the more ones footwear tends towards stiff and mtn-ish the harder it is to get your sneak on. How do you reconcile the need for support and load carry capability with the need for mobility and delicacy in the woods?

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
"Hunting Big Mule Deer" book is available for purchase

Thanks for buying the book. Good question. With the techniques in the book, most are condition dependent, meaning the conditions have to be right. I pretty much only still-hunt when the conditions allow- warm and moist, soft forest floor, fresh snow, after a rain, non-frozen ground, etc. So foot wear is not as important BUT I totally agree with you that the lighter, the better when I am still-hunting. It just can be hard in the backcountry as I can't have multiple footwear choices like at a base camp or hunting from home. I end up with stiffer boots for the reasons you stated. I've killed big bucks in clunky boots but only because the conditions were right. Now take early archery hunting, always using lightweight footwear. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad92

FNG
Just read the book. Awesome book. I am a newbie from Texas but i feel hooked on the mountains now

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Just read the book. Awesome book. I am a newbie from Texas but i feel hooked on the mountains now

Thank you Chad! That was one of the intentions. Best of luck in those mountains and hope to hear about your mule deer adventures.

DEW0341

WKR
Great book, read it, loaned it to two friends new to hunting they loved it and learned from it, I have Re read multiple parts of the book. It's awesome I have it tabbed and high lighted. Such a valuable tool

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey DE... thanks for the feedback. I'll be watching for your buck photo on here!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

netman

WKR
Mentioned this book to my wife. Couple days later she hands me Hunting Big Mule Deer. This year will be my first trip west for Mule Deer. Drawing for Wyoming and Colorado.
Great read!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Mentioned this book to my wife. Couple days later she hands me Hunting Big Mule Deer. This year will be my first trip west for Mule Deer. Drawing for Wyoming and Colorado.
Great read!
Take great care of that woman--she gets it!

Hop you enjoy the book. Thanks

DEEF

Lil-Rokslider
Great read Robbie! I'm new to hunting deer even though I've stumbled on them several times black bear hunting in CA. After reading your book, I feel more equipped and I'm pumped to find some mature muleys in my old bear hunting grounds.
Great job on writing your book.

Thanks for sharing all your knowledge and experiences—incredible value here.

Blessings Brother!

- Dustin Faddis

Status
Not open for further replies.