Colorado unit 44 4th season deer tag

bobhunts

WKR
I knew I would not draw the tag this year with 14 pp's. If anyone drew the tag.. I took the week off and will be up scouting to see what it will be like when I draw the tag in a year or two! Let me know if you need another pair of eyes on the ground. Should be fun seeing the bucks in the rut.

Ur a few years behind on that tag still, 19 points got one this year. I have personal friends that have 16,and 18 points and did not draw this year either. The point creep on that tag is getting outrageous I'll be in the area though as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That's the tag I've been waiting for........and waiting for. So I decided to blow my 14 points elsewhere this year just to get rid of the points so I can start hunting deer again.

I hunted 44 3rd about 3 years ago. Decent Hunt. Needs weather to be awesome. Got weather the last weekend. Went from seeing 10-15 bucks per day to 40-50 last 2 days. Passed on a couple 180+ bucks. Missed a 30+" heavy 4 PT (175-180)the last day in a snow storm. If only I had a couple days left.....

bigmoose

WKR
Most over rated Colorado buck tag

It will be interesting to see what comes out of 44 this year with the season dates later than usual. I'm sure a bunch of guys with lots of points will be dumping them on this unit this year. It is not a slam dunk hunt by any means. I would love to have a third season tag this year.. or any year.

I knew I would not draw the tag this year with 14 pp's. If anyone drew the tag.. I took the week off and will be up scouting to see what it will be like when I draw the tag in a year or two! Let me know if you need another pair of eyes on the ground. Should be fun seeing the bucks in the rut.

Bob- I will be hunting 44 with a friend who has a 2nd rifle tag. Tough hunt, but with late dates he wanted to give it a swing and would not be living in state much longer. He is making a few trips up over the summer and I'm trying to get up there in August with him. I'll have an OTC elk tag in case we bump into them. We've been hitting the maps and FS website hard figuring things out.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
oh and by the way bobhunts, you're doing it right if you want the most out of that hunt- good job. I just checked the odds and that tag jumped to 16 points (16% chance) up from 15 points (85% chance) for resident. 22 points, up from 20 (non-res)

For a weather-dependent hunt with no tag refund available up to day of season, that's a lot of years to risk tag soup.

Ftguides

Lil-Rokslider
I've been in the unit a ton. Father use to be main outfitter in it during the 80's and early 90's. Population has gone to shit but still great deer, but yes overrated.

Late dates could be good/bad. Access can get difficult into some of the better rut areas after heavy snow accumulations. Private hay fields on brush creek are a hell of a refuge.

Tags #s actually bumped up this year, I was told. Everybody knows that with the sensitive winterrange development there, one bad winter and 44 is history.

I've been in the unit a ton. Father use to be main outfitter in it during the 80's and early 90's. Population has gone to shit but still great deer, but yes overrated.

Late dates could be good/bad. Access can get difficult into some of the better rut areas after heavy snow accumulations. Private hay fields on brush creek are a hell of a refuge.

Tags #s actually bumped up this year, I was told. Everybody knows that with the sensitive winterrange development there, one bad winter and 44 is history.

Who is ur father?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tanner

WKR
If a guy can't find a deer in the 190" or better range in 44 during the 4th season, you have really messed up somewhere along the line. Seriously.

Tanner

RaceBaja

FNG
I have a 4th season 44 tag and would love any help I could get.
Anyone know the areas that I should start looking at?
I checked out some of the Scrabble mnt area just above the golf course and housing track (Eagle Ranch) on Saturday.

Thanks in Advance.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Reactions: FYT
OP
B

bobhunts

WKR
I will be back in touch! I will not draw until next year with 15 and maybe another year. But I will be up there scouting. My e-mail is [email protected]... Try and stay in touch and I will do the same. After I get a feel for it we can stay in touch via cell and maybe put you on a big buck and return the favor. I have the week off work so I will be out and about! Bob.

vanish

WKR
Looks like bobhunts is still waiting since only 50% drew with 17 points.

Did you scout?

Did you meet up with RaceBaja ( who never posted again :( )

my guess is no. A few guys on monstermuleys did the same thing as RaceBaja. The warm weather didn't help and a lot of guys ate tags and/or shot subpar bucks. Just because you wait 20 years doesn't guarantee anything. Sad part is there are a ton of low point units where guys could put bomber bucks down every year instead of waiting for one good hunt.