Colorado unit 44 4th season deer tag

topher89

WKR
my guess is no. A few guys on monstermuleys did the same thing as RaceBaja. The warm weather didn't help and a lot of guys ate tags and/or shot subpar bucks. Just because you wait 20 years doesn't guarantee anything. Sad part is there are a ton of low point units where guys could put bomber bucks down every year instead of waiting for one good hunt.

Last year would have been a terrible year to draw a high point tag.

Fireman5569

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy and I saw a ton of does and two decent bucks while elk hunting by sylvan lake 3rd rifle last year but it was 66 deg on the first day and no snow until almost DEC.

Bar

Banned
I could never do what you guys are doing. I got my buck tag the last two years with no points and it has a 50-60% success rate. It's not a trophy unit but sometimes a trophy is taken. It's not an easy unit to hunt though.

ColoradoV

WKR
My 73 year old father drew this 4th season this year. He grew up in glenwood graduated high school there in 62.. Haha he is gettin to be a old! He hunted these area's growing up but much in the past 20 years and much has changed over that way. We know it is weather dependent and will be over a few times to scout as well as a full week before the season until the end. Looking forward to it should be a fun hunt and if we get a buck or not we have a bunch of fun and hit it hard to hopefully turn up a monster.

He got all of his points by drawing a unit we elk hunt as a 2nd choice for many years and hunts deer with a long bow. So he ended up with a bucket load of points and decided to burn them this year. He used to run marathons and has stayed in very good shape for a 73 year old so not afraid of hikes up to 3-4 miles one way. We have atv's and 4x4's with chains. My uncle who still lives in glenwood will be joining us on the hunt.

We also know much has changed with development as such so any information or guys who have hunted it the past years would be appreciated. Feel free to shoot me a pm. I also have good intel about high country deer and elk in most of the units in central colorado.

Thanks and I like talking deer and big deer with folks.

How is the deer hunting in the High Country? I am wanting to get a feel for the country and terrain for Sept. Any good glassing, vantage points that one can spot and see a few decent muley bucks? How has the deer population rebounded? Think there is more than 2000 deer in 44? Fun to just see the animals!

I have 3rd season tag this year in 44! I have not much information as of yet. But starting to do my homework. A y advice. Locals? And especially you Robbie.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I have 3rd season tag this year in 44! I have not much information as of yet. But starting to do my homework. A y advice. Locals? And especially you Robbie.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Good luck man. I’d just say first and foremost, stay off the trigger. Be sure what your shotting at. And don’t be afraid to hunt till the very end. It gets better each day. Even if the weather is warm. As far as areas, that unit is so cut up with private land, you just Gotta have BaseMap or onX and find country with a mix of oakbrush and aspen/juniper and does that aren’t getting pestered constantly. The bucks will be near those does at first and last light. Even though they’re rutting, don’t be surprised if they hole up during the days. I’ve seen that in many units in Colorado. And look at the ground, not just through optics. Tracks don’t lie. You’ll be hunting closer to civilization than you think in some places. No need to send me a PM. That’s all I know. Seriously, best of luck.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
And don’t be afraid to hunt till the very end. It gets better each day.

Well heck, a guy should just show up the last day then, as it should be the best day for hunting.:D

I have a buddy that shot his bull the last weekend of archery 3 years in a row. So his wife told him he should stop hunting the rest of the season taking so much time off work, and just hunt the last weekend from now on.o_O

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Well heck, a guy should just show up the last day then, as it should be the best day for hunting.:D

I have a buddy that shot his bull the last weekend of archery 3 years in a row. So his wife told him he should stop hunting the rest of the season taking so much time off work, and just hunt the last weekend from now on.o_O

It could work. But Id sure hate to put all my eggs in that basket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob- I will be hunting 44 with a friend who has a 2nd rifle tag. Tough hunt, but with late dates he wanted to give it a swing and would not be living in state much longer. He is making a few trips up over the summer and I'm trying to get up there in August with him. I'll have an OTC elk tag in case we bump into them. We've been hitting the maps and FS website hard figuring things out.
Hi Bob. I drew.a 3rd season this year. Wondering if you would like to compare notes? I would also maybe be interested in scouting with you in may.