2016 Idaho Mule Deer

Juan_ID

WKR
Ok well here goes... The day was June 24th and I had managed to doze off on the couch (I have Fridays off) while my baby was napping too when I feel my phone vibrating. I wake up and see it was my buddy Ryan calling me, so I answered it and he asked if I had checked the draw results. I responded with a "no, are they out?!" or something along those lines. He proceeds to tell me he drew an archery elk tag, AND an archery deer tag. So in all my disbelief I hang up the phone after telling him congrats on his good fortune and jump right on the F&G website to punch in my license number to see if I too had gotten lucky. Wouldn't ya know it, I had drawn the deer tag as well! I couldn't believe it, instantly plans were getting made and made over again for the first scouting trip to area which is new to both of us. That next Monday I put my time off request on the calendar, I was set to have the first 2 weeks of the season off if needed...

With life and everything that comes along with it we weren't able to make the first scouting trip to the unit until the weekend of July 10th. We loaded up and met at my house around 2am, we were loaded and ready for the long drive to the new area, after a long drive in the dark we arrived at the base of the mountain and it was time to unload the 4wheeler and head up. Once on top we were met with very cold winds and temps much colder than anticipated and HUGE amounts of country... While we were seeing lots of deer we hadn't seen anything of interest just yet. We stayed on top as long as we could before the cold and wind got to be too much and we headed for some slightly lower country. We were looking for a camp spot a great friend of mine told us about while glassing and checking out the roads to see if we would be able to take the trucks up the road loaded with gear on the opener.

After getting a little lost we finally found the campsite around 9am, the area behind the camp looked great and while the sun was already out we decided to glass it anyways in the off chance we caught any deer on the move to their beds. That's when I spotted several deer a long ways off and after getting the scope on them I quickly realized I was looking at a BIG buck. The heat waves were bad and the sun shining down made it hard to get a great look but I managed to get a pretty crappy pic and counted at least 5 on his right side and 6 on his left not counting eye guards. We had high hopes of turning him back up in the evening and hopefully getting a better look at him. Well as luck would have it he stayed in the timber til just before dark so a better look didn't come that evening. Luckily his 2 buddies came out with plenty of light and they both looked like they would finish out nicely. We went to bed that night with high hopes of seeing the big buck again the next morning from a closer vantage point... Little did we know how different mother nature's plan was... The BIG buck

thumbnail_FullSizeRender_zpsgt6lqf8m.jpg

The next morning we wake up well before daylight to again some super cold temps so we opted for the truck to get us to our other vantage point. Once there the first deer spotted were a couple does and fawns quickly followed by the two nice 4 points from the night before. They were headed up the hill to where we had seen them the previous morning so we knew the big buck had to be close. Then out of nowhere fog rolled in so thick you couldn't see 50 yards. We hunkered down and attempted to wait it out, after close to an hour it was apparent it wasn't going to go anywhere anytime soon so we hiked back up to the truck and headed back to camp just in time for the snow/hail mix and blistering winds! We debated staying but once there we threw our camp in the truck and decided to head off the mountain. Once we got a few thousand feet lower we decided to check out some lower country since the weather was much nicer, all we seen were a couple does and fawns... And just like that, our first scouting trip came to a close and we were headed home.

I got to get some housework done, so hopefully I can get on here before too long and get some more typed up!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Subcribed can't wait to hear the whole story and see some more pictures of Mr Toad

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
Having to stay close to home I was able to check out the area my little sister drew a rifle deer tag for and found a buck from the year before and he looks great. Hope he sticks around til October (hopefully more on him next month!), also saw some good bulls! Hopefully I can draw a tag for this area in the next several years!

179_zps3gjhdhjq.png

189_zpsewadpqkh.png

190_zps5gpyupqt.png

That following weekend I was going to make the trip up high solo as my buddy wanted to check out another area. I got there after dark the night of July 29th to find some other guys in the spot so I camped close by as I was wanting to glass behind the camp. Turned out to be 2 young guys scouting as well. The next morning I sat at the vantage point for several hours waiting/hoping the big buck would show himself but no such luck. Actually I only seen a handful of deer and only a couple decent bucks but nothing I was interested in for the opener...

239_zpsk1ez5mf7.jpg

248_zpsur72wwrl.jpg

Later that afternoon I made the decision to move lower to another spot I had really wanted to check out. On my way down I realized I was a lot closer to where my buddy had planned to look and as luck would have it I ran into him and his buddy. They had seen lots of bucks but nothing of any real size. That evening we seen lots of bucks but again nothing of any real size. The following morning was much the same, we saw one cool young buck with a couple extras but it was right as it was getting light so we weren't able to get any pics. I had commitments for the next following weekends so again, I wouldn't be able to make it back out til the weekend of August 12th which was the weekend before the opener...

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
Ok so I'm really bummed out, I had a bunch typed up then my computer decided to crash and reboot. Unfortunately I don't think I'll have the time to re-write it all so I'm going to sum it up and then hopefully get onto the opener... More to come shortly!

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
So I was able to make it back out on the mountain the weekend of August 12th and was finally able to turn up some great bucks! Saturday morning I seen several great bucks, one being a really really big typical! I had some commitments the evening of Saturday August the 13th so I had to make the long drive back home and planned on heading back out for the opening week of the season the following day. Here are some pics of a few of the bucks I had seen in the few days of solo scouting.
It's amazing what building a fire can do while in the mountains solo, at least for me!
091_zpssniqstd4.jpg

106_zpsxipbuvu9.png

105_zpsjlkehmxx.png

Here is a very poor pic of the big typical from Saturday morning, he was a very big buck.
thumbnail_FullSizeRender.jpg4_zps7hrcgqip.jpg

So Sunday after church and hanging around with my wife and baby for a while I loaded up a few things to take to camp and we hit the road with much anticipation for what the evening before the opener may hold! I was especially excited because I had turned up some great bucks the few days before while in the unit. After a longer than expected stop at Walmart we were headed to camp! We got to camp swapped out tents got the cots set up and were off for the evening glass! That evening we once again found the big typical and a few other big bucks, needless to say sleep that night sure was hard to come by!

If that's where I think it is I always wanted to do that hunt when I lived in Idaho. Looks like a fun hunt!
With the deer starting to come back I may need to start looking into doing some hunting in the home state again:cool:

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
Monday August 15th the alarm went off and it was time to get up and get ready for opening day! We were up well before daylight had some breakfast and hit the road in hopes of being the first ones to our glassing spot. As luck would have it we were not only the first ones up there but we didn't see anyone for the first few hours of the morning. We were glassing as soon as we possibly could in hopes of finding the big typical, shortly after getting there I spotted a buck not far from where we had seen him the night before and instantly thought it was him but quickly realized I was looking at yet a different big buck! Best we could tell he was a big heavy 3x4 with matching kickers off his g2's, yet another shooter buck we had not seen up to this point. Just then another buck came out just below him and I thought for sure it was the big typical and I was wrong again. It was yet another big buck, this one appeared to be a big wide heavy 3x3 also with matching kickers off the g2's. I couldn't believe it, 2 new big bucks we hadn't seen before and they were both pushing 30". During this time we had also seen numerous other bucks and a few of the other bigger ones we had hoped on seeing but no big typical.
Here's a couple pics of some of the bucks we seen that morning, the top pic with the 2 bucks are the 2 we hadn't seen before.

thumbnail_FullSizeRender.jpg5_zpspmiuydyj.jpg

thumbnail_FullSizeRender.jpg6_zpskwl23oei.jpg

001_zps2v1xkhzi.png

The 2 big bucks had fed into what looked like a stalkable spot and presumably bedded down. So a plan was made to drive around to get closer and hike in to see if we could get into bow range. As we were getting close to the last know location Ryan hung back while I slipped my boots off and snuck over the ridge to see if I could locate the bucks. As I crested the ridge the wind was blowing in my face and all looked good, once directly above where I thought the bucks were I quickly realized the brush was way too tall and thick to look into. Even if the bucks were there they'd literally have to walk right below me for me to even see them. So after sitting there for about 20 minutes straining my eyes trying to pick out an antler I decided it was best to back out and come up with a different plan for the evening hunt. So with that we headed back to camp to kill the much dreaded hottest hours of the day.

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
So after hanging around camp for a few hours we decided we would split up for the evening hunt. I was going to go low and attempt coming in from the bottom and try for one of the 2 30"ers and Ryan was going to go high and after the big 3x3 pictured above. We decided to head out early to give us plenty of time to get hiked in before the shadows got long, I parked the 4wheeler way down the hill and began my hike in. Almost immediately I was blowing deer out left and right, luckily I was still close to 1/2 mile from where the big bucks were last seen. As I got closer I ran into the same problem as earlier that day. I thought the brush was too thick and tall, and I thought I was too low to see anything unless it came out directly in front of me. So I opted to once again go high... That was one of my worst decisions on the hunt, to say the brush was thick and tangled is quite an understatement. I don't know how I made it to the ridge but about 45 minutes later I finally made it through the brush and onto the ridge. Once again the wind was still good but I decided just to make a loop and get back down to the road in hopes the big bucks came out while there was still enough light to at least see them. While making the loop I saw several other bucks but nothing I was interested in.

I made it down to the beat down road about 8:30 and deer seemed to be popping out everywhere. As I continued walking down the road I saw a spot about 1/4 mile off the road that just looked "deery" know what I mean? I put my binos up and instantly seen what looked like a good buck. I quickly fumbled with my pack to get my scope and tripod out to size the buck up. He looked to be an old big framed deer with some very cool character in his front forks. I quickly got my phoneskope set up and took a short video, after looking him over for a bit I packed up my stuff just in time to turn around and see the big 3x4 with matching kickers come out way above me. I quickly got my stuff back out to get a much better look at this buck we were so fond of from the morning. He sure was a great buck, not near as big as I thought originally but still a very nice buck that I'd shoot if given the opportunity. I took a short video and packed up my stuff and continued down the road as it was getting dark fast and I still had a ways to get to the wheeler. On the walk down my mind began racing as I thought about what to do the following morning with all these big bucks ...

The big 3x4 with matching kickers
017_zps7lv6st29.png

The big framed old buck...
018_zpspnionj7v.png

**Sorry for the picture quality or lack there of, most are taken from videos in very low light conditions... :(

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
Once back at camp we had dinner and after a little bs session around the campfire we were headed to bed. Not knowing what I wanted to do in the morning I figured I'd sleep on it and see what I decided. Once again the alarm sounded well before daylight and we repeated the process, back to the glassing location we go! Once there I had decided that I would try for the big 5x5 that had been frequenting the same flat the last couple days. Well this morning they were headed high instead of low and we once again split up to try and keep tabs on him. Ryan went to watch the backside while I sat and watched them from the original vantage point. They were headed high and from watching this particular buck before I knew I had to make a move if I wanted to have any chance of intercepting them before they bedded. I had made the decision a little too late, as I went creeping up the ridge with arrow nocked it became obvious the buck had beat me to the timber and I didn't feel like playing that game so I hiked back down to the wheeler.

Once there I was unsure where Ryan was headed so I decided to go and look for the big framed buck from the night before. It was late in the morning and I hadn't anticipated seeing him so it wasn't much of a surprise when I got to my vantage point and didn't see him. Since it was starting to get hot and I hadn't put anything to bed I decided to head back to camp again to wait out the day there til the evening hunt. Again I was conflicted on what I wanted to do for the evening hunt, we left camp a little early again to be sure we got back on the mountain with plenty of time to move wherever we needed to with plenty of time to glass. We split once again and Ryan went after the big 3x3, at the last minute I changed my mind from going after the big 5x5 from the morning to going low and looking for the big framed buck just because of the location he was in... I thought he was my best chance at getting a shot at a deer that evening...

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
I got there with plenty of time left in the evening, and luckily it didn't take long to start seeing deer, the shadows were getting long on the south facing slopes and the deer were up and feeding. I got set up on a little rock outcropping and got comfy as I had planned on sitting the rest of the evening there regardless of what I seen. About an hour after sitting on my perch I see a buck directly below me on the other side of the creek about 300 yards away, and I instantly knew it was a buck. After getting my binos on him I saw he was a good buck, so I quickly and quietly got my scope and tripod out to get a better look. He indeed was a very nice buck and one I'd shoot if given an opportunity.

He slowly fed away from me and I quickly saw my chances fading fast. Not long after spotting him I see another buck come out very close to where I seen him originally. He was just a young 4x4 buck, not one I was interested in. After sitting there and watching the bucks for about half hour I see another deer come out below me and on my side of the creek. I quickly recognized him as the big framed buck from the night before. I got some awesome video of him and again watched another great buck feed out of sight. I had quietly became surrounded by cows and they knew I was there so I was pinned down unable to move any closer. This whole time I had been texting my wife as I had service in this little hole, I had packed up my things and planned on trying to slip by the cows and get closer to either of the bucks. When suddenly I watch the buck on the other side of the crk come back into view and walk down towards the creek, he disappeared into the thick brush when I heard hooves hitting rock as he was crossing the creek. He soon came back into view and wouldn't you know it he had gotten the attention of the other buck and they had decided to head up the hill in my direction. They were about 250 yards out and light was fading fast, I said a few prayers asking for an opportunity but remembering how truly blessed I am to even be able to enjoy doing what I love. I was hoping for a chance but if it didn't present itself I'd still be grateful for the experience. I txtd my wife and told her they were coming my way and she quickly responded wishing me luck.

The bucks were closing the distance quickly and I became to get the oh so familiar shakes, I nocked an arrow and readied myself. Soon they were 150 yards and still closing, I couldn't believe they were going to get in range! I began attempting to range things that were in their path and was getting several different yardages probably due mostly to my uncontrollable shaking. 100 yards and still closing... When the lead buck hit the bush I had ranged at 60 yards he got extra weary and kept looking up in my direction as if he knew something wasn't right but kept on inching forward. The buck was within range now and it was time, I said a handful of prayers asking to let my arrow fly true if given a shot opportunity. The buck was still coming and before I knew it he was directly below me at 40 yards in the thick brush, I had one more opening to try and shoot for but as he reached it I began to draw and as quickly as he was in range he was out of the opening and in the thick brush with no other shot opportunities.

032_zpsbehamxco.png

My attention quickly shifted from him to the big framed buck and doe that were at the 60 yard bush. The doe quickly followed the other bucks lead and was soon out of the picture so I was only contending with one set of eyes. He was very pre-occupied with the feed and I was ready. Very shaky but ready, not long after he stepped out from behind the brush and quartering away. I drew my bow and hit my anchor points and steadied my bubble while moving my pins up his body. For once everything felt perfect, once I got the right pin inline with his offside shoulder I held and squeezed the trigger... The buck jumped and kicked his hind legs at what I thought was the sound of a solid hit. He barreled down the hill and I stood in all my excitement in an attempt to keep him in sight. He made it about 50 yards and came to a screeching halt, I began shaking again really bad. Not wanting to fall off the rocks I sat back down and said another prayer thanking the good Lord for the opportunity regardless of the outcome but hoping for the best. I quickly shot off a txt to my wife letting her know I thought I had hit one of the bucks then called Ryan and let him know what happened.

I quickly got off the phone and went down to look for blood, not 5 feet from where he stood I seen the first sign of blood and had a gut feeling he was down, rather than follow the blood I had decided to just go to where I last seen him and there he lay... I couldn't believe it, what a crazy turn of events! I truly am blessed beyond words, I snapped a few pics notched my tag and was headed to the 4wheeler to meet Ryan and unload all the excess gear for the packout. While on the hike to the wheeler I let my wife know it was going to be a long night, she couldn't believe it either! We made it back to the buck around 9:30 took a few more pics then began the caping and quartering process. We didn't make it back to the 4wheelers until midnight and being extra careful with the velvet riding on the seat with me we made it to camp around 12:45. Followed by a quick dinner and clean up in the creek and off to bed to wake up and attempt it all again in a few short hours! A day I will not soon forget!
A couple pics when he first stepped out
084_zpsp2zhblz5.png

081_zpskfyhtkti.png

036_zpsugn9kxtm.jpg

What I seen as I walked up on his last known location...
039_zpsxrlie9w2.jpg

054_zpsdc9k2np5.jpg

BD4A34DF-F954-4B8C-B354-E1D69DF7FF22-2282-000003347537886F_zpsxiwhb5pp.jpg

8A6BF5AB-2728-4C53-AF4F-52F239A0B854-2282-000003347C01779F_zpsmz15qxjk.jpg

I feel truly blessed to be able to do what I love and am beyond thankful of how supportive my wife is of my hunting habits and holding down the fort while I'm gone, she's more than I could ever ask for! Thanks for reading and good luck to all with tags still! God is good!

Last edited:
You ol dog you. What you got out there honey buns? Haha Them deer came that far to YOU. I tell you what I need some them honey buns or that luck you got.

Great deer and awesome story congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Juan_ID

Juan_ID

WKR
Juan, love those photos!

Randy
Thank you Randy!

If that's where I think it is I always wanted to do that hunt when I lived in Idaho. Looks like a fun hunt!
With the deer starting to come back I may need to start looking into doing some hunting in the home state again:cool:

We may never know if it's the same area... ;) But yes it was a very fun hunt, short but very fun!

You ol dog you. What you got out there honey buns? Haha Them deer came that far to YOU. I tell you what I need some them honey buns or that luck you got.

Great deer and awesome story congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll just go with luck haha, I couldn't believe it either! Some things are just meant to be! :) And thank you!

Last edited:

CaseyU

WKR
Great write up and congrats on a smoker buck. Thank you for sharing

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great write up really enjoyed following along. Congratulations again what a great buck

PNWGATOR

WKR
Congratulations!

Thank you SO much for taking the time to post the story and photos. Members with experiences and results like this, who are willing to share, are what make Rokslide great!

Way to go Juan!

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congratulations!

Thank you SO much for taking the time to post the story and photos. Members with experiences and results like this, who are willing to share, are what make Rokslide great!

Way to go Juan!

Chris said exactly what I was going to say. That story and those photos are what make ROKSLIDE great. Hopefully in the next couple of months, we can hear many, many more!

Randy