2017 CO Early Rifle Deer Hunt - Opinions

I'd love to hear some opinions on doing an early rifle deer hunt in CO next year. I'll only have 2 preference points going into the draw, so I won't be looking at any of the high end units of course. But it looks like I would be able to draw some of the high country above timberline hunts with only 2 points. Are any of these good options? Or would I be better off looking at using my points during a different season possibly? Not looking to hold out for a 180" buck or anything, just want to have a fun wilderness backpack hunt with the opportunity to see a few deer hopefully.

Gonna be tough to draw as a non res. Off the top of my head I think 47 or 471 would be the best you can draw. Maybe 44,45,444 but I would have to look. If you are willing to hunt with a muzzy it opens up a lot more possibilities and it's the same season.

You could draw muzzy in 43 but not rifle.

Regards, Branden

bbrown

WKR
Keep in mind that for the next couple years the early rifle opens the same day as muzzy so the only advantage you have is the ability to take longer shots.

OP
M
What are people's thoughts on the timing of the early rifle seasons? It looks like some of the units open around Sep. 3rd. Can you expect these high country bucks to still be hanging out in their summer locations the first week of Sep? Or do they tend to head down and bury themselves in the timber by this time due to archery hunting pressure, etc? If the whole idea behind an early rifle hunt is to be able to find deer out in the open, I'm worried it could be tough if they get chased around for a week before that...

Ftguides

Lil-Rokslider
For the areas that open first week of Sept. (it varies a little, areas with less hiker/backpacker traffic open earlier it seems), you can find bucks in the wide open of their summer range. Just keep in mind that even a little elk hunter pressure can push them to the timber.

The earlier the better. But guys kill big bucks every year in the high country with a muzzy. Which are the same dates as most of the early rifle seasons. I would rather hunt muzzy in a better unit then early rifle in a mediocre unit.

Here is an early season rifle buck.
29892483492_f4905c3e4f_h.jpg

bbell

WKR
That's an awesome buck. My buddy and I are sitting on 3 pts and trying to decide what to do for a muzzy hunt next year. There is so many choices and it is hard google earth scout every high country unit in colorado😀 Good luck in whatever route you pick

cnelk

WKR
There is a big difference between Early 'High Country' Rifle and Early Rifle

One ends in Hunt Code E1R, and the other ends in ER2 - two completely different seasons.
ER1 is for above 10,000 ft and ER2 is for any elevation

Here is a buck my buddy shot in the ER2 season a few years ago

robie

WKR
We did a unit 36 early rifle (ER1) hunt. I would not do this again for the simple fact it opened to late in the month, Sept 10th.

We scouted and found some good deer in August, and talked to some people that still saw deer labor day weekend. Winds picked up weather got colder and we saw 2 does the entire trip. It is a low density area and we didn't expect to be covered up in deer, but the deer that were up high just weren't there anymore. Could have been pushed by bow hunters but I doubt all of them were.

I talked to the DOW officer and he stated they pushed the hunt back to avoid conflict with hikers Labor Day weekend. I'm not sure if that is the only reason but that really annoyed me. I can deal with a tree huger if I can be up there as early as possible.

I think its a fun idea of a hunt but find a unit that opens as early as possible.

We did a unit 36 early rifle (ER1) hunt. I would not do this again for the simple fact it opened to late in the month, Sept 10th.

We scouted and found some good deer in August, and talked to some people that still saw deer labor day weekend. Winds picked up weather got colder and we saw 2 does the entire trip. It is a low density area and we didn't expect to be covered up in deer, but the deer that were up high just weren't there anymore. Could have been pushed by bow hunters but I doubt all of them were.

I talked to the DOW officer and he stated they pushed the hunt back to avoid conflict with hikers Labor Day weekend. I'm not sure if that is the only reason but that really annoyed me. I can deal with a tree huger if I can be up there as early as possible.

I think its a fun idea of a hunt but find a unit that opens as early as possible.

I agree later isn't better but it can still be done. Lots of big bucks get killed during muzzy and that starts the same time as most of the early rifle hunts. The buck I posted I think I killed it on the 10th also. It wouldn't surprise me if archery hunters pushed those bucks. From my research bucks move down once the plants lose nutrients from freezing. Or from pressure. But September 10th they should still be up high unless they are getting pressured from other hunters.

OP
M
Lots of great info here. Thanks everyone! I've always had my heart set on doing a high country deer hunt, but I just want to be fully educated on the pros and cons of all the options.

vanish

WKR

One ends in Hunt Code E1R, and the other ends in ER2 - two completely different seasons.

The codes are not consistent in this regard. They only seem to use the E2R code if the unit also has an E1R hunt. I know of end-of-september early rifle hunts that are E1R.

30-338mag

FNG
The codes are not consistent in this regard. They only seem to use the E2R code if the unit also has an E1R hunt. I know of end-of-september early rifle hunts that are E1R.

Unit 6/7 early season is little different as 6 is above timberline and 7 is within Rawah Wilderness Sept 3-Sept 11. When they did unit 6 early Sept 26-Oct 4 they used E2-R. If you look at early Sept 3-Sept 11 unit 14,16,161 Mt Zirkel Widerness when they did Early Sept 26-Oct unit 16 it's E1-R.

cnelk

WKR
All I know is that I have 2 Deer PPs and I will be using them next fall on an Early Rifle Deer Season and it wont be the Above Timberline one.
Some really good bucks down in the lower timber to be had.

MRidge

FNG
Good thread and I'll continue to follow - Certainly don't want to hijack the thread, but came to start researching the same thing. My wife is currently sitting on 14 points, so appears any of these hunts are doable for 2017. She's pretty adamant of harvesting one with her bow, however the early high mountain tag would give an opportunity for that, as well as using the rifle if it came down to it.
I know there are other late season options, but Sept works better due to work schedules. Just starting to weigh some options out.

Good thread, I'm in the same situation.I think I settled on a unit just gotta make some phone calls and see what they say. Good luck to you on whatever tag you try to draw!

HiMtnHntr

WKR
You got some good advice above about earlier the better. . .

Also, key in on high country areas that have abundant and productive winter range where the deer spend the winter. Some have a tendency to think all high country will produce magnum deer, but if the other half of the equation isn't good, than neither will the deer be typically.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Here is an early season rifle buck.
29892483492_f4905c3e4f_h.jpg

Where abouts did you get that one? I have never seen a muley buck during September with the white face and winter coat already. Everywhere I've hunted in CO they're still summer brown in September. Oh, and did you ditch the hunter orange for the picture?

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider

Here is a buck my buddy shot in the ER2 season a few years ago

Dang man. Sweet buck. Looks like I need that ER2 tag...in that one unit...and to hunt over by that there tree. I got 5 points and I'm liking the early hunts in CO!!