My First Successful Hunt

This may not be the most epic story you will hear this year, but I figured some of you may enjoy the perspective of some first time success. I also wanted to thank this forum for so much information, help, and even some great 2nd hand gear I was able to pick up from the classifieds.

This is my 4th year hunting in Washington, mostly deer but also some elk. This year i have been inspired by this forum, as well as a few podcasts like the Gritty Bowmen, to get out not only chase some elk, but also get further out into the wilderness. This year I really fell in love with backpacking and climbing my way into some places I'm almost glad I didn't find animals ;) This year has been the best year of hunting I've had even before taking my first animal. After a few long weekends of elk hunting and one close encounter with a bull, I was really excited for mule deer season to start.

Opening day the weather was supposed to roll in, with snow above 6000ft. I gathered that a good strategy would be to hunt just above the snow line, and scouted a decent looking area from google earth. I get up to the trailhead right around sunrise, with one other hunter already there, but he was set up just a few hundred feet off from the road glassing an opening in the brush. I had the rest of the ridge to myself. I hike up the ridge a few miles to "my spot" but unfortunately the clearings seen on google earth are actually burnt out areas that were full of hip-high logs that made the trek up there a nightmare. I was able to find a decent spot to watch just as a snow storm blew in.
7duMVyGl.jpg

When I couldn't stand the cold any longer, I decided to head back to the truck as I wasn't seeing much. After getting turned around in the woods, I made it back to the truck cold and wet. I had made plans to stay with a friends father and uncle in the trailer for a night, then spend my 2nd night up on the mountain, hoping to get away from any people up in the hills away from the roads. After a mid-day nap, I headed back out and ended up at a familiar spot glassing the hill below me for the evening hunt. I heard a gun go off fairly close by, either this hunter wasn't a great shot, or he was laying down cover fire, because I heard him crack off about 8-10 rounds over the course of 60 seconds or so. I figure every living thing around me (including me) had been scared off of the mountain. I barely had enough time to find another spot to check before the sun went down. Not a great first day but theres always tomorrow.
The next morning, I planned to hunt relatively close to our camp, then pack up for an overnighter afterwards. I head out to a spot near where I saw the forks the day before, on some cliffs above a farmers field. The weather was great, it had been raining most of the night and had cleared up a few hours before sunrise.
bPMF0ksl.jpg

I make slowly make my way across the steep hill, working my way up and across multiple cliffs and shelves. About halfway across the area, I spot 3 doe down a little ver 100 yards below me feeding on a shelf. I couldn't see the whole shelf, so after some glassing, I continue still hunting across the face, peaking down below every time i get a new angle. As I reach the end of the face, I finally get a good angle on the shelf below. By now, Ive counted 5 doe, and low an behold, a buck feeding behind a bush, about 165 yds away. My heart jumps a little after I count 3 large points on his left side. I could hardly believe it after I counted what looked like maybe 4 more on the right. The buck had no idea I was there, and I had all the time in the world to make the shot. I am able to get into a decent prone position, edging out over a ledge and notice my crosshairs dancing wildly around the buck.I lean back from the scope and have to remind myself to take a few deep breaths, and that I can take my time with the shot. there will be plenty of time for excitement later. I was impressed how well I was able to calm my nerves, and am able to squeeze off what felt like a solid shot. I was so excited, I went into full autopilot and slammed the bolt back, loaded another round and got back into the scope in case i needed to make a follow up shot. I found him in my scope limping away, only 20 yards or so before bedding down. I could tell he was down for the count.
LCLqT44l.jpg

After about a minute he toppled over, and I couldn't believe it. Sheer joy, followed by terror as I realized the weight of responsibility now upon me to care for the meat. I drop the gear I didn't need, and head down to the buck, finding him right where i last saw him. He ended up being a nice little 5x3, not much compared to some of the monsters i see on this site coming out of the rockies, but certainly not bad for Washington, especially my first deer. I obviously had to take the obligatory selfie before one of the guys in our group arrived to help me through the gutting process.
5apg1Ubl.jpg

There ended up being a road a few hundred yards below, so we were able to drag him right down to the truck. After skinning him at camp, a friend of mine back at home convinced me to attempt to butcher him ourselves. Im still not sure of that was a great idea, I felt like I wasn't able to save as meat as I hoped. Although it certainly was a learning experience, and I know so many things I would do differently next time to maximize the meat. (bonus points for whoever can figure out what the wrench is for, lol)
4w9TEGLl.jpg

The amount of excitement, relief and thankfulness i have right now is crazy. I put in countless miles on my boots (even though I ended up harvesting my deer within dragging distance to the truck), committed ridiculous amounts of time learning/planning/strategizing, and spent more money than i really want to add up. I feel like it has all culminated to this moment.
Thank you for reading my story, hopefully you enjoyed it. I truly am thankful for the information and help that is posted on this site. I have gained so much knowledge from you all!

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for taking the time to put the story together. Great read and congrats on the buck!

Dodge

FNG
Nicely done! Beauty buck. The wrench is definitley for fixing that Ford.

garrete

FNG
What meat did you lose by self butchering? Maybe you were just surprised at how little there is when it's all said and done? A 180 pound live weight deer when butchered yields about 50-60 pounds of meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congratulations! Your post brings back the memories of when I killed my first deer. They will last a lifetime glad it finally all worked out for you

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
P
What meat did you lose by self butchering? Maybe you were just surprised at how little there is when it's all said and done? A 180 pound live weight deer when butchered yields about 50-60 pounds of meat.

I lost at least half of the neck, and most of the ribs and scraps. Probably didn't add up to a whole lot, I just hate seeing anything go to waste. I feel better thinking it was a good learning experience and now I know what to do better for next time.
Those numbers make me feel much better though. I'm not sure what he weighed on the hoof, but I got about 50lbs of meat off him.

OP
P
Nicely done! Beauty buck. The wrench is definitley for fixing that Ford.
Great buck! Wrench is for fixing the ford no doubt.

Ouch! Hahaha, I really walked right into the Ford comment, huh?
it was actually the closest thing I could find to help pop off the replacable Havalon blade. I thought it looked funny sitting on our butchering table.

Congrats man! I just tried my hand at my first muley hunt in the Winthrop area this year and discovered what a pumpkin patch really is. Great pics, love the snow shot.