2016 NM Mule Deer

I couldn't be more happy with my first mule deer. I'm glad I held out for a nicer buck. Quite a few smaller legal bucks tempted me, and I caught some grief and jabbing from my hunting buddies. Having been in NM for over 3 years, I knew there could be a big buck behind any one of the sand dunes out there.

Day one was mildly successful. We saw a young whitetail that tempted me quite a lot, but he was too young and I've shot several his size already. We got rained on and spotted 3 legal muleys in the morning. We relocated for the afternoon hunt, but about an hour into it we got hit with a substantial thunderstorm. I'll post a pic of my soaking wet self sometime soon. We didn't quit right away... We waited for the hail, lightning, and 40mph winds before we realized we're not invincible.

We walked more than 5 miles, crossing over hundreds of sand dunes, before my buddy spotted the stick that did not look like the others. He was only a little over 100yds away so I glassed him through my scope set at 4 power. All I could see was the deep fork on his right side. I knew immediately he was a buck I'd be happy to take.

I laid prone, looked back at my buddy, and settled the crosshair on his neck. I closed my eyes and exhaled. When I opened my eyes, the crosshair was exactly where I wanted it to be so I executed the trigger squeeze. The bullet hit exactly where I intended, and the buck barely flinched. He was dead.

It all happened in less than 30 seconds. I honestly thought he was a 3 yr old 4x4, nothing special. I hadn't really taken a good look at his rack. I thought he was my minimum standard for the trip. As we got closer the buck flinched a little and I saw his rack was as tall as the oak scrub we were walking through. I said to my buddy, "I think he's a little better than I thought." Sure enough he was.

074f78539e44ffc5b0e16d7bb58f46b0.jpg

9ea0b06bd90d1aec9225df81f468a076.jpg

This is almost exactly how he was laying when I shot him. The only difference was his head was on the ground to the right a little. It amazes me how these deer lay like dogs with their heads on the ground.

It was a long hike out. 4.2 miles and we did it in 2hrs.

b2c9bc7120c44b1ccf2e8bafb2234635.jpg

ae382956a7ebb6ed6b5e9e07fbd2a423.jpg

a44eebaee514b5aa540cbf4044c8494c.jpg

Last edited:
OP
sn.outdoors
Here are some pics from day one

f22578de9b8986b8d6cc0cc2f71f366f.jpg

This is one of only a dozen or so trees in the area. Naturally the deer were drawn to it. I think we saw a dozen deer within 500yds of THE tree.

6f8811b2555c584b721f2c44f9625d5c.jpg

Glassing was pretty unnecessary in the rain. You either saw them with the naked eye or they weren't there.

2bc7eca25997760ce5b7732125eec45d.jpg

It rained a lot the first day. It reminded me of the long, cold, wet days I spent going through training, which is why you see the smile on my face. I always enjoy the suck. I think it's what separates the boys from the men, the weak from the tough, and the smart from the stubborn.

TBoschma

Lil-Rokslider
Nicely done CJ, that place gets hammered so its great to see a nice old buck!

OP
sn.outdoors
Nicely done CJ, that place gets hammered so its great to see a nice old buck!
Thanks Tyler. I'm surprised I even found a buck this old. I'm guessing he's 7-8 yrs old. He barely had any teeth left.

TBoschma

Lil-Rokslider
Dude I always love knowing the age of my deer. you can send the front bottom tooth in to be aged if you still have it!!

Nice buck CJ and cool country. Almost looks like he has double bases on that one side.
Nice to meet you and thanks for the boots. Good luck in Mountain Home. If you have any questions on deer hunting the area give me a shout.

OP
sn.outdoors
Nice buck CJ and cool country. Almost looks like he has double bases on that one side.
Nice to meet you and thanks for the boots. Good luck in Mountain Home. If you have any questions on deer hunting the area give me a shout.
Thanks!

It was nice meeting you too. I'm glad the boots will work for you.