West Nebraska Mule Deer advice

I'm giving some serious consideration to driving out to West Nebraska and doing a 4-day public land spike camp archery hunt for Mulies this coming October. I have a few questions...are there OTC buck tags, what is the non-resident cost, and is this a good option, if anyone has done this, any advice would by so appreciated. My understanding is that there are areas of grassland broken up by bluffs and coulees, making for spot and stalk opportunities, true?

Ebby

WKR
They do have OTC tags. There are some good deer out there. I did exactly what you are talking about with some buddies a few years ago. We hunted a mix of public and private around Fort Robinson and had some luck. I killed a 170" class and we saw some bigger deer. I wouldn't expect to kill a giant but a 130-160" is reasonable and there is a possibility of finding a bigger one. There is a lot of pressure during the gun seasons but I bet you'd find some peace and quiet during archery.

Lee

OP
Warren1726
They do have OTC tags. There are some good deer out there. I did exactly what you are talking about with some buddies a few years ago. We hunted a mix of public and private around Fort Robinson and had some luck. I killed a 170" class and we saw some bigger deer. I wouldn't expect to kill a giant but a 130-160" is reasonable and there is a possibility of finding a bigger one. There is a lot of pressure during the gun seasons but I bet you'd find some peace and quiet during archery.

Lee
That's awesome! Thanks for the info. I'd be thrilled with a 130" deer, having never hunted Mule Deer.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm giving some serious consideration to driving out to West Nebraska and doing a 4-day public land spike camp archery hunt for Mulies this coming October. I have a few questions...are there OTC buck tags, what is the non-resident cost, and is this a good option, if anyone has done this, any advice would by so appreciated. My understanding is that there are areas of grassland broken up by bluffs and coulees, making for spot and stalk opportunities, true?

I grew up in the area, fairly close by. The OTC archery hunts are either sex and either species tags. You'll have to look at the specific area you are going into but I now the Pine Ridge unit doesn't allow taking mule deer does anymore. Just FYI. Non resident tags are around 250$ give or take. If you're spiking out via backpack I would look at the wilderness over by Ft. Robinson. That would at least give you assurance that everyone coming in is walking. That country is fairly breaky and open with burnt timber. I always thought it'd be cool to check out during season but never have. The grasslands and more open rolling hills with some occasional bluffs and coulees. Spot and stalk is perfect in both places.

OP
Warren1726
I grew up in the area, fairly close by. The OTC archery hunts are either sex and either species tags. You'll have to look at the specific area you are going into but I now the Pine Ridge unit doesn't allow taking mule deer does anymore. Just FYI. Non resident tags are around 250$ give or take. If you're spiking out via backpack I would look at the wilderness over by Ft. Robinson. That would at least give you assurance that everyone coming in is walking. That country is fairly breaky and open with burnt timber. I always thought it'd be cool to check out during season but never have. The grasslands and more open rolling hills with some occasional bluffs and coulees. Spot and stalk is perfect in both places.
Thank you so much Jordan! I'll look more into it.

OP
Warren1726
It should only be $242 ? I have hunted in NE the last 6 years. Unless things have changed this year, you don't need a license in addition to a deer tag.

Oh, ok! That's good to know. In KY you have to buy a hunting license and the deer tag. State to state laws are so damn confusing.