Wyoming Unit 87 Deer Advice

tracker12

WKR
Looking at Unit 87 in 2017 for deer. Area was just recently recommended. I hunted antelope in the area about 7 years ago but was never in the deer country when I was there. Any info would be appreciated. Was wondering if I can find deer in the public land area.

I was out there in '15 for an elk hunt and I saw deer on public and private. Not a ton of deer but I did see some ok bucks. They were in pockets here and there. Would be a fun hunt

Jimss

WKR
87 would be a "quality" hunt with few hunters. It is still in recovery mode since a couple winterkill years followed by a couple drought years. I spend time in that unit and see lots of pretty crappy genetics. Lots of old 3x3's. It was a 4 pt or better unit for at least a couple years and that program hurt the genetics more than anything. From time to time I'll see a whopper buck but it will take a lot of time and boot leather to find them. There is also lots of private in the south 3/4 of the unit.

Last edited:

wyodog

FNG
The area 87 trophy quality was a bit disappointing in 2016. There were a lot of bucks that are looking to nice trophys in 2018. The area is in recovery and the snow this year is way deeper than it has been in years. The additional moisture should help. Not seeing near the numbers of deer in winter ground this year, probably because of all the snow. The number of permits was doubled for 2016 and I hear rumors that permits may increase again in 2017.

Fellad31

FNG
I have 2 points now, and adding a point in 2018. How many points would I need to draw for 87 as a non-resident for rifle?

Trial153

WKR
I have 2 points now, and adding a point in 2018. How many points would I need to draw for 87 as a non-resident for rifle?

You'd have 50/50 in the special draw with 8 points with last years applications.
In the regular draw you need max points.

With only two points you only chance is in the random draw with brings you down to about 2% ...i wouldn't bank in it.

Fellad31

FNG
So here's another question. I'm looking at a DIY Muley hunt for Wyoming. I'm not looking for monster deer, but I'd be pretty stoked with a 150" buck. What are some regions that offer that caliber of deer and won't need 8 points to draw?

Trial153

WKR
So here's another question. I'm looking at a DIY Muley hunt for Wyoming. I'm not looking for monster deer, but I'd be pretty stoked with a 150" buck. What are some regions that offer that caliber of deer and won't need 8 points to draw?

Just do you don't hear crickets chirping, which is the standard response for asking for unit advise. You can bump in to a 150 in just about any unit in WY. Just do some research for a easy to draw unit that has decent access and amounts of public land that isn't wilderness.