New mulie hunter wanting advice on early season archery hunting

boom

WKR
OP...archery in CA opens late july. the main opening is early August. we have an "archery only" tag, they creatively named the "AO" tag that opens up damn near the entire state for bowhunters. only the X-zone, and some random zones are draw only and off limits.

i know one that you have to work your ass off. hike high and deep, and be really stealthy. the AO tag is 100% draw, so it is basically OTC.

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
You say your in good shape but I would seriously have some sort of routine workout. the air tends to get thin around high country mule deer areas and some areas can be steep. Its going to be bigger and steeper than you think it will be and a much harder hunt than what your used to on private land. I hunt heavily pressured whitetails in Indiana by heavily pressured I mean hunter density exceeding 1 hunter for every 20 acres in a single hunt day and take mature bucks in areas where odds of doing so are in excess of 1 in 80 this comes from mandatory check in information not just something made up. I also pack in up to 2 miles with stand on back something around 20-30 pounds sometimes wading through swamps for a while crwling through brush etc with everything and even with that hunting out west is more physically demanding so the 1000 acres your farming mature bucks on will not prepare you for early high country mule deer which is what I'm assuming your after? The gear list in itself will be a lot if your looking at packing into areas. I would really get a exercise routine down. Also altitude sickness is a possibility I take WA altitude advantage and noticed a difference from the trips I didn't take it. Now you can do day hunts for early season deer as well which will req a little less equipment I would keep all things in mind when deciding on a hunt area not sure what kind of gear you already own but if its not a lot it may be a steeper investment for a backpack hunt than you realize too. You can shop around and find good deals on stuff which is what I do but its still going to be a gear investment your not really going to come out with the whitetail equipment you use in Missouri and do a pack in timberline hunt for aug mule deer. We all started somewhere and if your like many of us you will become addicted to the mountains in all honesty I would give up whitetails in a second to hunt the mountains. Also realize if you hunting this year that your options will be limited with no points lot of archery tags still to be had but you wont draw the 1 point units in CO etc or you can try and draw somewhere with slimmer odds then fall back on a OTC tag. Now with that said some areas are experiencing harder winters which could result in big winterkills in some areas so thats one other thing to keep in mind while researching you may have to make a few calls to get an idea how things are doing in your area depending on where that area is and if it recieved a lot of snow.

Last edited:
OP
T
You say your in good shape but I would seriously have some sort of routine workout. the air tends to get thin around high country mule deer areas and some areas can be steep. Its going to be bigger and steeper than you think it will be and a much harder hunt than what your used to on private land. I hunt heavily pressured whitetails in Indiana by heavily pressured I mean hunter density exceeding 1 hunter for every 20 acres in a single hunt day and take mature bucks in areas where odds of doing so are in excess of 1 in 80 this comes from mandatory check in information not just something made up. I also pack in up to 2 miles with stand on back something around 20-30 pounds sometimes wading through swamps for a while crwling through brush etc with everything and even with that hunting out west is more physically demanding so the 1000 acres your farming mature bucks on will not prepare you for early high country mule deer which is what I'm assuming your after? The gear list in itself will be a lot if your looking at packing into areas. I would really get a exercise routine down. Also altitude sickness is a possibility I take WA altitude advantage and noticed a difference from the trips I didn't take it.
I have a 60 lbs vest that I've been training with. I've been doing hill running with it and regular crossfit workouts with it on. I train 5x a week and wear it 2-3x.

Obviously I can't replicate the mountains, but I'll be as fit as possible while living in MO. I find as many stadium steps and big hills as I can. I'm pretty well suited for this type of activity since I am a former collegiate athlete and 6'4" 215 lbs. Backpacking comes pretty naturally to me. I recently got back from a hiking trip in Costa Rica where I hiked daily in the mountains with a 30-40 lb pack, although the elevations were not quite as high. The gradients were similar and I felt pretty good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like your on the right track fitness wise you should be fine so many guys in whitetail country THINK they are in shape but quickly realize they are not anywhere near where they want to be which would really suck to figure out on a trip you looked foward to all year. I live in Indiana which is as flat maybe even flatter than a pancake and I seem to do ok always can improve but the workout routine will greatly increase your odds of success and just make for a better hunting experience. Sounds like you probably have a basic amount of backpacking eqp which should make this year a little cheaper for you :D. It was an investment for me optically to just transition from Elk to Mule deer. I could get by with just some 10x42s for Elk but not Mule deer hunting. Not sure what kind of optics you have but a tripod of some sort with some 12x, 15x, or spotter would come in mighty handy. I just got a suiri tripod with a benro s2 head this year I think came out to like 170 bucks total not to bad seems like a good set up will find out this oct on a rifle deer hunt. I had a thread started a while back in the optics section on recommended backpacking tripods. I got a pair of 10x, and 16-48x65 spotter and plan on getting a pair of 15x56s this year which go anywhere from like 400-2200 bones. The optics will be the biggest investment if you don't already have them you just don't want to go out with only a 8x or 10x for most mule deer hunts unless your maybe still hunting timber. Some guys are going the 12x bino route instead of carrying 10x and 15x, I think it depends on what you feel like carrying your budget and uses. I know I got off topic of areas to hunt but I just figured I'd give some insight as to what your getting into beyond the hunting unit. Theres a lot to take in hunting out of state for new species, mature whitetails are difficult to kill just like any other mature big game animal they are just generally different hunts that req different skills.

Last edited:
OP
T
Looks like your on the right track fitness wise you should be fine so many guys in whitetail country THINK they are in shape but quickly realize they are not anywhere near where they want to be which would really suck to figure out on a trip you looked foward to all year. I live in Indiana which is as flat maybe even flatter than a pancake and I seem to do ok always can improve but the workout routine will greatly increase your odds of success and just make for a better hunting experience. Sounds like you probably have a basic amount of backpacking eqp which should make this year a little cheaper for you :D. It was an investment for me optically to just transition from Elk to Mule deer. I could get by with just some 10x42s for Elk but not Mule deer hunting. Not sure what kind of optics you have but a tripod of some sort with some 12x, 15x, or spotter would come in mighty handy. I just got a suiri tripod with a benro s2 head this year I think came out to like 170 bucks total not to bad seems like a good set up will find out this oct on a rifle deer hunt. I had a thread started a while back in the optics section on recommended backpacking tripods. I got a pair of 10x, and 16-48x65 spotter and plan on getting a pair of 15x56s this year which go anywhere from like 400-2200 bones. The optics will be the biggest investment if you don't already have them you just don't want to go out with only a 8x or 10x for most mule deer hunts unless your maybe still hunting timber. Some guys are going the 12x bino route instead of carrying 10x and 15x, I think it depends on what you feel like carrying your budget and uses. I know I got off topic of areas to hunt but I just figured I'd give some insight as to what your getting into beyond the hunting unit. Theres a lot to take in hunting out of state for new species, mature whitetails are difficult to kill just like any other mature big game animal they are just generally different hunts that req different skills.

Thanks for the advice. I know EXACTLY what you are talking about when people say they are in shape but aren't really aware of what they are capable of and what they are not capable of. I've seen it in many forms throughout my years in the fitness industry!

Fitness, archery, and basic hunting knowledge are all strengths of mine and are skills that I hope I can use to my advantage.

Finding an area with mule deer, finding the deer in that area, and basic spot and stalk techniques are things that I am unsure about. Most of these things I'll have to learn or roll the dice on when I get out there.

I used to have a great pair of 18x50 cannon image stabilization binoculars, but unfortunately they were stolen. I have my eye on a pair of Vortex 15x50s right now. My dad also has a pair of 15x binoculars that I can barrow. having a good pair is defiantly a requirement for me. Hopefully I can put them to good use. I know glassing is a skill acquired through practice. My glassing skills are a foreseeable snag in my hunting trip.

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
This site has a butt load of info just become a sponge and soak it in. Robby Denning has an article on top 10 glassing mistakes somewhere. Also has an article on finding big bucks with diagrams of different habitat types. Also several guys have reviews on tripod binos from Vortex vulture 15x56 to Meopta 15x56 and I think a few others. Obviously the swaros are nice but many a hunter has killed nice bucks without them infact I think Robby actually used the Vultures for an entire season just to prove a point that they will find big deer if used correctly. I'm not sure what 15s I'm going to get yet but I doubt I can get any north of a 1000 this year so I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for a really good deal worst case I may get the vultures to use for a few seasons and then upgrade when I can. I'd rather have the vultures than no 15s. Honing skills only comes from practice everyone sucked at everything they do or did at somepoint when they started :D if we started out good it would be boring

Last edited:

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
My suggestion would be find a spotting scope 15's are a great start and vortex is decent for the price but get a decent spotter. I am worthless woth out my spotter it lives in my pack.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
c3e98051387a3c535a020363764d9f2b.jpg
07635368d71d779956d67bba39e26a3b.jpg
9434247a16cb9fda8cf0945917192e9d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting muley and whitetail is completely different this is undisputible...I am from upstate ny and a have been hunting whitetail my entire life. I just did my first muley hunt this past sept. and tagged out with a 170" muley on public land using 1 pref point...i know lucky me. What I learned with the help of a friend who knows a lot more than me is find an area that produces quality deer using the internet followed by lots of Google earthing. Find a place that is HARD to acess and give your self plenty of time to scout before the hunt. And hope for the best! We used this technique and all 3 of us tagged out on beautiful mule deer. It's not easy by any means but get in shape and be ready to push your self to the limits. I found hands down with public land muleys the hardest part is getting to them. There senses were not as good as a whitetail for sure. Mind you I had a muzzle loader so I only had tip get into 80 yards for my kill.

TheCougar

WKR
Don't let these guys scare you away. If you want it bad enough and are willing to endure the suck, then mule deer hunting is for you! Az has great deer everywhere, but they are just few and far between. put it like this:
Preseason food plots, cameras, trimming shooting lanes= map and google earth scouting and talking to game and fish
Setting up stands/Sneaking to tree stand=Hiking to camp and a glassing point
Sitting in a tree stand= glassing
?= stalking
Shooting=shooting
Game cart = pack out
My advice is to just buy a tag and go do it, with realistic expectations. I hunt with a buddy who grew up whitetail hunting. He can't glass worth a damn, but he can still hunt and has knowledge that transfers to the west. Get good boots, quality binoculars (10x42 is a good place to start), a tripod, and a decent pack. Learn to shoot long range with your bow. I mean 80 yards. Find someone who can show you the ropes, and then hit it!

OP
T
Hunting muley and whitetail is completely different this is undisputible...I am from upstate ny and a have been hunting whitetail my entire life. I just did my first muley hunt this past sept. and tagged out with a 170" muley on public land using 1 pref point...i know lucky me. What I learned with the help of a friend who knows a lot more than me is find an area that produces quality deer using the internet followed by lots of Google earthing. Find a place that is HARD to acess and give your self plenty of time to scout before the hunt. And hope for the best! We used this technique and all 3 of us tagged out on beautiful mule deer. It's not easy by any means but get in shape and be ready to push your self to the limits. I found hands down with public land muleys the hardest part is getting to them. There senses were not as good as a whitetail for sure. Mind you I had a muzzle loader so I only had tip get into 80 yards for my kill.
Thanks for the advice. My strategy is going to be exactly as you described. Fitness is going to be my best asset.

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
TheCougar is also spot on. I never thought glassing could be so hard...but I found I pretty much suck at it. We don't have to do it close to that extent in the East. Let me tell you though after you see that first good sized muley buck out there you'll be addicted. Good luck!

OP
T
Don't let these guys scare you away. If you want it bad enough and are willing to endure the suck, then mule deer hunting is for you! Az has great deer everywhere, but they are just few and far between. put it like this:
Preseason food plots, cameras, trimming shooting lanes= map and google earth scouting and talking to game and fish
Setting up stands/Sneaking to tree stand=Hiking to camp and a glassing point
Sitting in a tree stand= glassing
?= stalking
Shooting=shooting
Game cart = pack out
My advice is to just buy a tag and go do it, with realistic expectations. I hunt with a buddy who grew up whitetail hunting. He can't glass worth a damn, but he can still hunt and has knowledge that transfers to the west. Get good boots, quality binoculars (10x42 is a good place to start), a tripod, and a decent pack. Learn to shoot long range with your bow. I mean 80 yards. Find someone who can show you the ropes, and then hit it!
Thanks! Great advice. Glassing is the thing I am most unsure about.

I don't expect to hit a "home run" on the first try but just looking to prepare as much as possible and do my best that I can.

skindaddy

Lil-Rokslider
whitetails i would consider harder to stalk in most areas not all. only because there is usually lots of leaves and such that make way to much noise. growth rubbing on your pants is nowhere like crushing nice fluffy oak leaves 4in thick:) at cold temps

Yooper25

FNG
Nebraska archery starts September 1st. OTC archery tag lets you hunt the whole state from september through december. Next year will be my second season in NE and I plan on doing at least 2 trips to the western part of the state. I am not positive but i am pretty sure there isnt a quota for non resident archery tags here. I am curious to see how bad the pressure on public land is. I hear lots of people saying that there are tons of people everywhere you look but i am used to hunting in Michigan and i feel like theres no way there is more pressure here than what i have done in the past.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I just saw this. Welcome to Rokslide.
Plenty of late August/early September opportunity in about every Western state. Just pick your place and get busy. You'll do fine. Thanks for picking up the book.

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
Some years back, my whitetail killing cousin came out from Kentucky for a archery mule deer hunt in Nevada. We were glassing a far off hill, and he said there was 2 bucks, up by the "low-cut". After figuring out that low-cut was Kentuckian for saddle, I found the deer he was looking at, 2 adult does. I could make them out through my 10x leica's, but he swore they were bucks through his Bushnell's. A quick look through the spotter, and he conceded that he'd never seen deer with such a set of ears...lol. He didn't kill a buck, but went home with a new respect for spot and stalk hunting, along with a well deserved respect for a mule deer's senses.
Mike

Hiking your stadium stairs with a heavy pack should be your best friend right now. Robbys book is a great read with a ton of valuable info so that's good you read it. I highly recommend you read two more books before the scouting season. Hunting Open Country Mule Deer by Dwight Schuh and Public Land Muleys: The Bottom Line by David Long. They both have tidbits of some seriously invaluable information that will no doubt make you a better Mule Deer hunter.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk