Idaho 48/49 general rifle

mlucashr

FNG
Hey guys, first post but been on here for a bit reading all the great info.

3 of us are headed to Idaho next year for rifle deer. We hope. Looking at units 48 or 49 right now and accumulating all the info I can. I like to be prepared, a couple of scouting trips will take place this summer but as you all know trying to narrow down a unit can be hard not being from the area. We are experienced and in good shape, good glass, good equipment, and always up for a challenge. We are by no means trophy hunters but a couple of 4 points would make us very happy (not worried about counting inches). We would like to backpack this hunt but are open to any type as long as we can find a little space and not see 10 other hunters per day. We are from Oregon and used to large crowds but trying to escape that somewhat. We know Idaho is steep...so we can get that out of the way.

So I guess questions?

Would you even bother with these units?
How busy do these areas get?
If hunting hard is it out of the question to shoot a couple of good deer?
If not one of these units, what units would you suggest if your willing?

Any help is much appreciated. These questions get asked all the time so I apologize for the redundant topics but we'd really like to expand our reach on places to hunt and country to see. Thanks again.

FreeRange

WKR
Generally the further from Boise you are the less hunters you're going to see and those two units are still a little over crowded. 39/43 are totally inundated with hunters during rifle deer season, 48 and 49 are getting better but probably still more crowded than the quality of hunting deserves.

The IDFG site appears to be down today but there's a ton of good info on there including hunter numbers and success statistics and with a little digging you can find better units. You can get away from the crowds anywhere but getting away from 700 other hunters is much easier than getting away from 4000 other hunters. I've not hunted those units but have hunted two other units close to there but further from Boise and the hunting was great and we saw very, very few hunters more than a mile from the road and none away from the pack trails.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of Public land crawling with hunters however real pretty country. It will probably be super busy this year as it was last year I know first hand born and lived there until 27 have hunted it almost every season since I was 12. Curious as to how you settled on these units in particular? This place has become very busy between FirstLite headquarters, Meat Eater show and some write up a guy did in Field and Stream advertising how great it was. I have done well here in both units in the past, however the hunting was incredibly hard there last year for both bow, and rifle due to the amount of people both from in state and out of state. I have never seen that much traffic in my life time. The whole valley is covered in 5ft. of snow right now and it could be a bad winter kill time will tell. The deer here are highly pressured but you can find a decent buck every so often. It will take some serious work likely unless you just get lucky which does happen once in a while. Unit 50 is not a bad option as well less traffic however does not run until the 31st of October. This years rifle season was miserable with heavy heavy rain both times I went back for rifle which caused it to be way harder than usual. Any of the country is good if you can get away from the crowds it becomes harder with every season but is still fun.

Calbuck

WKR
I hunted 49 elk and bought otc deer tag since I was there. Saw one forky I chose to pass on..guys camped next to us absolutely slaughtered the deer, so much that they all went and got second tags. There was 5 people in that camp and every buck they shot was either a forked horn or small 3 point. I chose to go use my tag elsewhere..

OP
M

mlucashr

FNG
You guys are awesome. Thanks for the quick responses. I was wondering if first lite and meat eater had an effect on that area. Wasn't real hard to figure out where they could have been on those episodes based on the access of the country. Well shoot. I'll take a look at unit 50. Not looking for any honey holes but any other regions/units you guys would consider pointing me towards besides 50? Much appreciated, we live in some crazy times of fancy gear and tv shows. Woods are crowded, but I'm not giving up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
You guys are awesome. Thanks for the quick responses. I was wondering if first lite and meat eater had an effect on that area. Wasn't real hard to figure out where they could have been on those episodes based on the access of the country. Well shoot. I'll take a look at unit 50. Not looking for any honey holes but any other regions/units you guys would consider pointing me towards besides 50? Much appreciated, we live in some crazy times of fancy gear and tv shows. Woods are crowded, but I'm not giving up.

Well, 48,49 and 50 are all good units. May ruffle some feathers here which I've done before on this topic BUT get away from roads and get away from them atv's. Personally can't tolerate them and they have ruined quite a lot of country in Idaho. You can find good hunting in all those areas and one thing I would suggest is stay away from the opener or weekends. Things tend to settle down a bit after the opener and also the weather has some play in where the deer are.
You could always try Colorado..............:rolleyes:

Randy

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
I do not own a four wheeler I hunt off the beaten path. Been doing it since I was a kid. Places that do not usually have people where packed last year.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Also I agree with mtnrunner ATVs are garbage and they blocked off some of the roads at least. Nothing worse than ATVs road hunters and people who shoot a bunch of dinky bucks. Also 43 where it buts up to 48 is not bad there is a lot of country but its filling up quick due to media attention.

OP
M

mlucashr

FNG
Random question looking over numbers. There are a few units like 47 where there were 9 hunters and zero success in 2015. I've ran across a couple others that are similar low tags and zero success. Weather related? Seems to be plenty of area to hunt. Just seems random.

bigdesert10

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience, while 48 and 49 don't get the pressure from Boise that 43 does, those units are some of the "default" units for hunters to the south in the Magic Valley. Not only that, but there are a fair number of hikers, cyclists, bird watchers, and other recreation-seekers that frequent those units due to the proximity to the cities of the Wood River Valley, depending on how close to highway 75 you get and the time of year. You're probably going to see people, as that country isn't exactly the most remote in the state, but it just depends on what you are willing to tolerate.

FreeRange

WKR
Random question looking over numbers. There are a few units like 47 where there were 9 hunters and zero success in 2015. I've ran across a couple others that are similar low tags and zero success. Weather related? Seems to be plenty of area to hunt. Just seems random.

The IDFG site hasn't worked for me the last 2 days, anyone else having this issue?

In regards to 47 you must be looking at whitetail hunt results or some other hunt. There are definitely plenty of successful mule deer hunters in that unit in all seasons and I know I've looked at the stats with my own eyes before and they were nothing like what you're seeing.

47 is a draw hunt for rifle. 46 is open for rifle though. I think the 9 hunters in 47 were archery hunters as it is open for archery but that number is skewed as i know for a fact more than 9 guys hunted it. I looked it up as well and it does show only 9....?

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
48 and 49 are actually the go to for Magic Valley as well. From what I hear there are a few decent bucks in 47 if drawn depending on if the snow pushes them down out of the hills from NV better to hint this later.

Juan_ID

WKR
I see a few have commented on atv's, closing "some" roads to atv's does absolutely nothing since they've also opened every single track trail to dirt bikes...

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah but a lot of those are closed to dirt bikes after August 30th in 48 and 49. However you get a lot of mountain bikers and earth muffins running around. Whether the dirt bikers choose to respect it is a different story.

Juan_ID

WKR
Yeah but a lot of those are closed to dirt bikes after August 30th in 48 and 49. However you get a lot of mountain bikers and earth muffins running around. Whether the dirt bikers choose to respect it is a different story.

I guess the areas I farted around in last year aren't those areas where they're closed after a certain date, not a single sign on any of the trails and dirt bikes everywhere. I ran into several of them and asked about the trails and they were all "under the assumption" they were open to dirt bikes. I guess I'll have to make some calls and ask this spring, that hurts the hunting much more than atv's IMO. Sure an atv can go a few places you can't take a pickup but dirt bikes can go basically anywhere there's any kind of a trail. I'm not a huge fan of road hunters shooting dinky bucks either, but I can't bash all atv riders/hunters because I too use an atv from time to time to get to a few places then hike from there...

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah but Juan lets just be real with each other you had an epic season brother. Nothing wrong with ATVs if used in the right sense. I would like it if they shut down even more access roads. Also people ignore a lot of the single track closed signs. Fish and Game will pop them and if I catch them there will definitely be a confrontation. I kinda wish they would turn 48 and 49 into unlimited draw or 4 pt only for rifle to cut down on the crowd. Make people choose and then keep it general archery. Haha I am no biologist just another Idaho hunter who cannot draw for shit.

backcountryguy

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt exactly how you described off my back and away from roads I use packgoats to get me in further then most guys will go and I can honestly say after hunting 49 and 50 last year. You will be disappointed if you come all the way from Oregon to hunt it. I've never seen more people in my life. No matter how far I hiked there was people. With the winter we have had and projected winter kill I would save my money and hunt 26/27 or something where you can get extremely deep. I'm not saying you won't see people but you have a better chance of not seeing people and the adventure would be worth the trip in my opinion. Plan on hunting with people if you decide to hunt 49 or 50. Not trying to discourage you Just an honest opinion from a guy who lives and hunts the state of Idaho. If I see you where I hunt I'll tip my hat in respect because you earned where you would be. Best of luck

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Backcountryguy hit it on the head it used to be great but now those units are pretty blown out. You can go deep but there is just nothing deep enough to get out of the overwhelming crowds looking for that high mountain adventure for elk and deer and I go back way far and did probably over 150 miles in my 25 days of archery and probably 40 miles in my 6 days of rifle in both units. I stay on top of mountains and literally cross stuff that makes your butt pucker and still I see foot prints. I had trouble in bow season which over the last 5 years has become also very crazy. The deer are spooky and yes you could get real lucky and find something decent but you will have to hunt real hard in my opinion. I own a house in Hailey and up there. Place is nothing like it used to be but I still love it. I am looking into other units this year and went out of the norm last year and was able to find some untouched country I will be going to this year. Good luck with it though.