Idaho fly in trip

Hey there everyone was hoping to get a little information on some of these areas me a buddy and my old man are planning on making a trip mostly what I am asking for is a decent place terrain wise for the pops he still gets around well and can hike for a day or so but he's gonna want to stay close to camp and hunt from there I'm willing to spike camp out from there but I'm not sure how far he will want to go so if anyone has some info and a decent airstrip in the 26 27 unit area that fits this that would be much appreciated and thank you!

Maybe other people are more generous than I am, but nobody who has a good spot and half a brain is going to share it. Generally, deer quality will be poor near the airstrips, and you likely won't be the only guys there. The aviation companies will share info if you call them up though, they will likely answer all of your questions.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
There aren't any "secret" airstrips. We got us a 26/27 thread goin, jump in.

OP
J
Thanks guys not looking for any secret spot just interested in what kind of terrain to expect right at the airstrips and how hard it is to get away from these airstrips I've watched some videos that show the terrain pretty well. But everything changes when you see it in person

Tod osier

WKR
I've flown into that area exactly once. I saw signs of a lot of camps in the area within 2-3 miles of the strip where I was. From what I heard (and what I saw as far as signs of old camps confirms it) there are times when the good areas are elbows to assholes. The area I was in was all that they say as far as being steep and rough and everywhere that was not steep had signs of old camps. If you don't have a very specific plan based on prior knowledge that would be a very tough (or boring) hunt for someone physically or mentally limited to the area around a strip.

Last edited:
OP
J
Great I'll give them a call I've been seeing lots of good reviews about almost all of the different charters I'll be contacting them soon thanks for the help!

mntnguide

WKR
There is no such thing as "easy" terrain in the Frank. 26/27 are very rough and brutal country. And when you start at the airstrip..the only way you can go is up! If there is thoughts of not wanting to hike hard and be in the best shape possible..you may want to look at a different area to hunt. Animals are not close to the airstrips especially earlier in season. You will be fighting other hunters and also outfitters with horses and camps out of most major airstrips

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RAHC

FNG
If your group isn't prepared to go 5-10 miles from an airstrip,camp out, hunt for 5 days then pack 3 animals back I wouldn't even consider it. If you are then keep poking around and you might find something that peaks your interest.

OP
J
How is the water situations in the area looks like alot of creeks run though the ravines do they keep a good flow through out the year or do they dry up through out the summer?

martin_shooter

Lil-Rokslider
There is no such thing as "easy" terrain in the Frank. 26/27 are very rough and brutal country. And when you start at the airstrip..the only way you can go is up! If there is thoughts of not wanting to hike hard and be in the best shape possible..you may want to look at a different area to hunt. Animals are not close to the airstrips especially earlier in season. You will be fighting other hunters and also outfitters with horses and camps out of most major airstrips

Exactly.

mntnguide

WKR
How is the water situations in the area looks like alot of creeks run though the ravines do they keep a good flow through out the year or do they dry up through out the summer?
Unless it is the main river or a major drainage,do not expect water in most places. The frank is incredibly dry country. I have thought I was going to die of dehydration more than once through the years in there...what has water in early August can lose it by mid September very easily

Fire_9

WKR
Don't let these guys scare you. Go for it and have fun but don't expect anything big. Some of the strips on the middle fork have fairly easy terrain. It's steep and tall but doable

sneaky

"DADDY"
We're not trying to scare him off. Just want him to be aware. If you've never been to the Frank you're in for a rude awakening, so to speak. I've marked places in the Frank on my GPS as "Never Again". Might not be the best hunt for a first time fly in. I think you guys would enjoy a fly in caribou hunt in Alaska way more than a deer hunt in the Frank.

excaliber

WKR
It sounds like this area is going to be more than you and your pops are wanting. Go to Google Earth and look at this terrain. That part of Idaho is steep and requires some effort to get away from others. The easier to climb areas are usually the most pounded areas and devoid of game.
Unless you draw a nice controlled hunt allot of Idaho is steep and it takes some work to get the elevation needed to be in game. If I were you I would put in for some of the better controlled hunts and if you don't draw buy the OTC tag.

Kimbersig

WKR
I've looked at the Frank for a mule deer hunt....i'm in good shape and been on a couple sheep hunts. no way am i going in there for a mule deer. they don't kill enough big ones that you can't find in other general season units to make it worth it. the only way i'll go in there is for a sheep. maybe this year! The suggestion above about a caribou hunt is a good one. you can do DIY caribou hunts for pretty reasonable or sitka blacktail deer on kodiak.