Wyoming mule deer 2017

I was going to put in for a region H tag this year. I've hunted it before and love the area. But all this talk of really high winterkill rates has me a little leery. I've been keeping an eye on weather in towns in/around the winter range such as big piney and la barge, but since I've only been over there a couple times so far this year, what do you residents say who have had a lot more eyes on the scene? Would I be foolish to use my points on the tag this year? Is it too early to tell, or have things gone past the point of no return and the herd will need some time to recover?

griffinit

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the same boat, but winterkill can't kill everything. You never know when you'll be unable to climb mountains or breathe in and out. Go and Hunt, and enjoy a Wyoming high!

Good luck man!

OP
back country
There is still a lot of winter left. There's no rush to decide right now, the application deadline is May 31.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/WGFD/media/content/PDF/Hunting/WGFD_APPDATES_1.pdf

I know there's still a while...but other states will close long before wyoming does. Just trying to plan ahead :D

If the winterkill does end up to be pretty bad this year, it will probably affect the next couple to next few years just as much if not more than this year due to all the fawn deaths.

I probably will end up doing it, I was pretty let down I didn't draw last year and have been patiently waiting for this app season....

OP
back country
I decided to go for it this year in Wyoming, regardless of the bad winter because I think the next few years could be just as grim if not worse than this year. And that's assuming we don't get hit by another bad winter in the next year or two...

Anyway, I'm pretty stoked that I drew and I'm ready to get in to the high country! Anyone else luck out on mule deer in Wyoming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup drew ok not really got res General as 2nd choice which I'm alright with. I to will be in H. And congrats on drawing should be some good bucks to hunt this year !!

Last edited: