Wyoming Region G

The one and only time I am happy to be a resident. All other cases I am not happy.

You're right about that. But in all reality it will help that unit a ton by cutting 200 tags. The potential from that 200 tags alone being gone would really create some giants.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4ester

WKR
Thanks for the heads up on the tag cut. That reduction should help a bunch. Deer had a rough winter.

JustHunt

FNG
I don't think reducing Region G by 200 tags will do much when there are 5,000+ residents hunting it each year with OTC tags.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
200 non res tag cut ain't much. Could have that many residents step in and off set that in a hurry.

200 non res tag cut ain't much. Could have that many residents step in and off set that in a hurry.

But don't dare mention putting a cap on residents in Wyoming for general tags or allowing non residents in wilderness areas with out a guide lol... residents don't seem to want to help the situation while non residents are ok with tags being low and having to draw less often for better quality.

But don't dare mention putting a cap on residents in Wyoming for general tags or allowing non residents in wilderness areas with out a guide lol... residents don't seem to want to help the situation while non residents are ok with tags being low and having to draw less often for better quality.

I disagree on residents. It wanting to help. Most just want the opportunity to hunt and that is why I am a proponent of the 3 points or better. Most of the reg updates I do not agree with as they have gotten rid of the restrictions.

JustHunt

FNG

I wont argue with that. I always just shake my head when I see the resident blowback when someone mentions something constructive that could help the deer in that region. The people of WY know what they got in Region G, but a good number of them are too short sighted to be proactive and try to preserve what good things they still have going for them in G. The F&G knows what to do, but their too afraid of their own residents to make it a first choice or limited entry unit or any other thing that could limit the take. So they do the only other thing they can and cut a percentage of the NR tags. Looks like they shortened the seasons a bit, which makes me feel all nice and cozy, but that just puts all of the pressure in a shorter time frame. Doesn't allow the pressure to spread out, potentially making this hunt less enjoyable.

That's all I mean by the comment I said also was it could be such a great quality state for deer if only better managed. Then you wouldn't just have G, you'd have multiple units capable of G status. Just limit the opportunity but not being a resident I also do understand getting to hunt every year as to why I go to Arizona for archery. So I know it'll piss some off, I guess I look more towards quality than opportunity when I have to buy points regardless. And I do buy points for every species in Wyoming even tho I don't agree with all the politics. At the end of the day we all want to hunt and kill big animals. But things can't remain the same with the amounts of ppl hunting today compared to 30 years ago.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member

Yip. Non-residents are always the scape goats. I get it, but when it doesn't really help the deer, it seems silly.

sfischer

FNG
You would be surprised at the number of locals who would like to see it go to a draw. There are other areas beside G.

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
You would be surprised at the number of locals who would like to see it go to a draw. There are other areas beside G.

This. There are many residents who want something like a draw system or a choose your weapon and area done so that our deer can rebound. Even if it was put in place with the idea that eventually things go back to the way the are now where there is more opportunity to hunt.

This. There are many residents who want something like a draw system or a choose your weapon and area done so that our deer can rebound. Even if it was put in place with the idea that eventually things go back to the way the are now where there is more opportunity to hunt.

I would second maybe third this. The biggest problem is the game and fish won't listen to the residents. Every year my family, friends, and I get the surveys from the game and fish. We always say we need a preference point system, a select weapon system, and all around just a better system. Every time I begin to say all those things the survey people say let me guess, preference points and weapon choice. It's a canned response due to the number of people asking for it.

JWP58

WKR

Man by how bad it sounds I'm suprised nonresidents apply at all. Poor guys.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man by how bad it sounds I'm suprised nonresidents apply at all. Poor guys.
Nothing wrong with with pretending to help deer numbers by limiting non residents who impact herd numbers​ the lest. Sound management for sure

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sfischer

FNG
What's crazy is I can hunt region "G" every year, it's my backyard. But not guaranteed a decent antelope tag?

HOT ROD

WKR
I am a resident of Wyoming. Like WyoBowhunter21 and other residents. We do care about the mule deer. Every year on the big game survey.. I put add sum more draw units. Make several units in a gen area... Point restriction 3 or 4 point gen units... Sum how limit access to atv.. Please do sum thing to help the mule deer. Its frustrating when U put miles on the boots. In a week end. And all U see is does and small bucks.. And a shit load of atv...

wyo_gasman

Lil-Rokslider
Point restrictions would do a great deal to help G. The last two years Ive seen a boat load of yearlings hauled out of there by residents, usually county 4. If they went to a "pick your area" type of a thing that would help too, although I think most of the people who hunt it now would pick the same area. As bad as Id hate to see it, a draw might be the best solution.

JustHunt

FNG
Glad to hear the "other" WY residents chiming in here giving their honest opinions on this region. I've heard so many of the vocal WY residents who almost always oppose ANY changes or even potential ideas for change. Been hearing so much of the "just get rid of all NR tags in G and it will be better then ever" theories that its hard to even have a good honest discussion.

I am no biologist, ill admit that right off the bat. But I don't think point restrictions have been too successful in the past. Two major complaints are that too many young bucks get shot and left to lay when guys find they don't have the required points to be legal, and the other being that too many of the bucks with better genetics (4pts) get shot out, leaving big 2 and 3 points to do most of the breeding. Proponents for point restrictions argue that the doe's carry 50% of the genetic potential as well, meaning big antlered bucks could still come from the doe's side. But this region is very well known for having some of the best genetics in the world for large antlered bucks, so why water it down? If you think about it, if a doe who say, has 4pt+ genetics gets bred by a dominant 2 point buck, her fawns antler genetics have been watered down slightly by the 2 points genetics. Then when those fawns reach breeding age, and they get bred by another 2 point buck(or 3 point) and waters those genetics down further, and so on each generation... Then the opportunists will argue that not everyone is out to shoot a big 4 pt, and they just want their meat buck and don't care for big antlers. But why risk watering down the genetics of such an amazing mule deer herd? There is so much mule deer country across the west, each and every state has mule deer herds which may not have the genetic predisposition for large antlered bucks, so why mess with one of THE best herds in the lower 48? Its so valuable.

But "trying" to make a change is better than sitting on your hands and not doing anything at all. A pick your area rule would definitely be a move in the right direction.

My 2 cents, winter range habitat (preventing further development and range improvements) should be the #1 focus, and the states (not just WY) need to address (and regulate) certain advancements in technology, we are just too efficient of killing machines. And in this very case, alternate solutions need to be looked at instead of leaving this region as an unlimited/OTC area. Lot of other things as well, but I've rambled and already made this too long as it is.