Wyoming Region G

Point restrictions would do a great deal to help G. The last two years Ive seen a boat load of yearlings hauled out of there by residents, usually county 4. If they went to a "pick your area" type of a thing that would help too, although I think most of the people who hunt it now would pick the same area. As bad as Id hate to see it, a draw might be the best solution.

Hey now don't be calling out sweet water county. Good thing I don't have that plate anymore ha. I will attest and say I agree. I saw way too many little bucks get killed last year. A buddy killed a 3 point because it was a 3 point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for this discussion.

I started buying nr points in Wyoming a couple years ago with the intent of hunting G in a few years. I hadn't realized the total number of resident hunters or the other issues facing the region. I may look elsewhere now.

A very strong case for point restrictions is whitetail in PA. I know there are a lot of PA guys on this forum and whitetail guys in general (being the most hunted big game species).

The number one factor in antler growth is age. If the 1.5 and 2.5 forkies and 3 points live another year they will gain points and mass. Yes habitat food water pressure all help but age and maturity will always be first.

Any 8 pt used to be pretty nice where I am from in North Central PA. Now there are many P&Y and a few B&C class whitetail taken on public ground every year.

Yes there will always be some who shoot deer that are sublegal but the majority will follow the regs.

And yes harvest will fall as well

4ester

WKR
Except that 42% of 2 year old bucks are already 4 points per the WY G&F. You won't have any young deer to save as most died this winter.

Isn't that easy with Mule Deer.

Went to the meeting last night to review tag limits and seasons. They lost 99% of collared fawns and that last one was barely alive. They also lost 25% of collared adults.

They cut 200 non-resident tags and shortened the season by 4 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
What did they gain by those two things against the winter kill not much. You gave it lip service by limiting the non resident tags but what % is nr harvest in the whole mix?
Isn't it typical for the deer to move into more heavily forested area as the season progresses making harvest numbers low towards the end of the season any way?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
You're right about that. But in all reality it will help that unit a ton by cutting 200 tags. The potential from that 200 tags alone being gone would really create some giants.

How so? In ANY state it isn't the NR hunter killing the majority of the deer, it's the residents. The residents shoot everything, whereas the NR are far more selective and a lot will eat the tag before they'll shoot a small buck. Earl and his buddies riding around and shooting everything they see is far more of a problem. Those 200 fewer NR tags aren't gonna change anything other than draw odds and point creep.

bradb

WKR
They must restrict resident tags also if they want it to make a difference

4ester

WKR
What did they gain by those two things against the winter kill not much. You gave it lip service by limiting the non resident tags but what % is nr harvest in the whole mix?
Isn't it typical for the deer to move into more heavily forested area as the season progresses making harvest numbers low towards the end of the season any way?

Actually the harvest numbers are quite high towards the end of the season. It is higher then most all the season, not counting the first couple days.

4ester

WKR
How so? In ANY state it isn't the NR hunter killing the majority of the deer, it's the residents. The residents shoot everything, whereas the NR are far more selective and a lot will eat the tag before they'll shoot a small buck. Earl and his buddies riding around and shooting everything they see is far more of a problem. Those 200 fewer NR tags aren't gonna change anything other than draw odds and point creep.

According to the G&F, the lower numbers of deer will lower the success rates from 46% down to 20-30%. This will discourage hunters and the number of deer harvested will drop. They have seen this in the past.

I would be willing to bet that a high number of non-residents are wanting to fill a tag at the end of season, rather then eat tag soup. I've seen plenty of out of staters harvest a young deer. Same as residents.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the insight. I have no problem with anyone shooting a deer that makes them happy it's thier tag. Anyhow I truly hope these measures make a positive impact on herd retention

mntnguide

WKR
99% Mortality of Fawns ...here is the article with facts like stated above. This winter effects will be seen and felt for the next 5+ years. Don't be surprised to see major changes in western Wyoming in the coming years because of it...mature bucks are the 1st to go because they are body fat deprived from the rut right when winter started. Not really looking forward to what I am going to see this summer scouting the high Country

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
99% Mortality of Fawns ...here is the article with facts like stated above. This winter effects will be seen and felt for the next 5+ years. Don't be surprised to see major changes in western Wyoming in the coming years because of it...mature bucks are the 1st to go because they are body fat deprived from the rut right when winter started. Not really looking forward to what I am going to see this summer scouting the high Country

Thanks for sharing the research

Me either. I am extremely nervous about the deer I saw last year. Not sure if they made it through. Definitely going to be pertinent to scout this year.

I am going to be very selective this year and the next few. If I don't see something that really excites me I'm gonna go shoot a whitetail somewhere instead. No reason to kill a muley around here when everybody and there mom will be blowing them away like usual. Way too many damn people around here these days!

sneaky

"DADDY"
According to the G&F, the lower numbers of deer will lower the success rates from 46% down to 20-30%. This will discourage hunters and the number of deer harvested will drop. They have seen this in the past.

I would be willing to bet that a high number of non-residents are wanting to fill a tag at the end of season, rather then eat tag soup. I've seen plenty of out of staters harvest a young deer. Same as residents.

Ok, I'll bite. 20-30% of 600 tags is 120-180. 20-30% of 5000 or so residents is 1000-1500. Which group needs to see a reduction in tags to benefit the deer? I know more people who have hunted G as NR who have eaten tags than I do that have shot small bucks. To each their own, but cutting 200 NR tags is just doing lip service to the bigger issue.

4ester

WKR
Ok, I'll bite. 20-30% of 600 tags is 120-180. 20-30% of 5000 or so residents is 1000-1500. Which group needs to see a reduction in tags to benefit the deer? I know more people who have hunted G as NR who have eaten tags than I do that have shot small bucks. To each their own, but cutting 200 NR tags is just doing lip service to the bigger issue.

I don't disagree with you, as I would like to see a more aggressive management plan. But you also have to think that's ultimately you have to save the does to increase numbers.

If were so concerned you should have attended the meetings, as I see you are from Utah.

You can submit comments through the fish and game website here:
Wyoming Game and Fish Department - Public Meetings

They are looking for other good ideas if you have some.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I don't disagree with you, as I would like to see a more aggressive management plan. But you also have to think that's ultimately you have to save the does to increase numbers.

If were so concerned you should have attended the meetings, as I see you are from Utah.

You can submit comments through the fish and game website here:
Wyoming Game and Fish Department - Public Meetings

They are looking for other good ideas if you have some.

Ha, I live in Utah but I am from Tennessee lol. I don't wanna get lumped in with the idiots in Utah :) I'm on the road for work or I would have tried to have made it to the meeting. It's definitely going to change my approach to when I'm going to cash in points in Wyoming. 2018 was looking like when we were going to, but that might get put on hold, if not for deer numbers for tag reductions and point creep. G really isn't my first choice, the creep is getting out of hand already and is only going to get worse. Just have to wait and see how this pans out looks like.

CorbLand

WKR
Is winter kill really going to be as high as every says though? I know we had a harder winter than the last 5 years but it blew out about as quick as it blew in. Most of the hills are clear of snow around my part of the woods and the deer seem to be doing ok.

I know nothing about hunting Wyoming but I will throw my two cents in. There really is only one of two ways to manage wildlife in a state, trophy or opportunity. If you want trophy, your going to have to wait years upon years to get a shot at even hunting. Opportunity, well the name speaks for its self. Seems to me that Wyoming is going for more of an opportunity style. Personally I would rather have opportunity. I would rather shoot a two point every year, and eventually get a big one, that wait 10 years for one shot at a big one. Horns look pretty on the wall but not matter how you cook them they don't taste good.

Last edited:

204guy

WKR
Is winter really going to be as high as every says though? I know we had a harder winter than the last 5 years but it blew out about as quick as it blew in. Most of the hills are clear of snow around my part of the woods and the deer seem to be doing ok.

I know nothing about hunting Wyoming but I will throw my two cents in. There really is only one of two ways to manage wildlife in a state, trophy or opportunity. If you want trophy, your going to have to wait years upon years to get a shot at even hunting. Opportunity, well the name speaks for its self. Seems to me that Wyoming is going for more of an opportunity style. Personally I would rather have opportunity. I would rather shoot a two point every year, and eventually get a big one, that wait 10 years for one shot at a big one. Horns look pretty on the wall but not matter how you cook them they don't taste good.

Well said. I can't hardly stomach the thought of someone saying you can't shoot a small deer because I think it should be bigger?(antler restrictions, never mind the studies that show it's an abysmal failure.) As far as the guys pushing for PP points and limited draw areas. If you only want to hunt once every, maybe 10 years, it's a great plan. Unless the state goes to all limited draw for deer, which I wouldn't support, the regions in G will have draw odds less than 10%. Just give me a pair of boots, a pack and an opportunity to hunt and I'm happy. Look at a state like UT where guys are going on 20 years to draw a tag and I shake my head in disbelief that someone would advocate for that.

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
Something I think that would be interesting to consider is instead of cutting tags, make tags for different parts of the season. Have an archery only tag, make a muzzleloader season, and have 3 or 4 weeks of rifle hunts with high country options. Have the archery hunt 2 to 4 weeks, then give the muzzleloader guys a week, and each rifle section a week. Then have people choose their weapon and week, distribute the amount of tags among the different season with more tags being allocated for early October when deer are traditionally harder to successfully harvest, and fewer tags for the early and late hunts. Maybe even offer a late season rut hunt for archery equipment, or look into a very limited quota rifle rut hunt. This would help dissipate some of the pressure, still have opportunity, and maybe help the funding issues the game and fish claims to have. Obviously I'm not a biologist or wildlife manage so this is just something I think would be worth considering.

On another note, in discussions at the work place a theory was presented that the game and fish considers non resident hunters to be more dedicated than resident hunters. I feel this is true, and feel that if I drew a tag that required 5 or more points would make anyone feel more dedicated. I also don't blame anyone who waited for years on a region G tag killing a deer to not go home empty handed.