Wyoming Region G

backcountryguy

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys as most of us know unfortunately points creep has set in on region G. I didn't draw with 4 points last year and my buddy's did. I'm wondering if I need to apply with special money this year with 5 points to even have a chance? I know there are people on here that are far smarter then myself. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys as most of us know unfortunately points creep has set in on region G. I didn't draw with 4 points last year and my buddy's did. I'm wondering if I need to apply with special money this year with 5 points to even have a chance? I know there are people on here that are far smarter then myself. Thanks in advance

I believe 5 points now is only a 19.1% draw odds for NR. While special is 100% with 5 points and 11% with 4 points. As of right now 6 points is 100% draw regular

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Point creep, nothing a really bad winter can't stop. I believe huntstrong quoted you right on odds

OP
backcountryguy

backcountryguy

Lil-Rokslider
Point creep, nothing a really bad winter can't stop. I believe huntstrong quoted you right on odds

Robby in your experience with tough winters like this where there will be most likely higher winter kill numbers how hard does it affect your older mature deer? It obviously hurts the fawn survival rate which effects long term numbers but have you seen the mature buck numbers dip lower then usual after a tough winter?

I believe 5 points now is only a 19.1% draw odds for NR. While special is 100% with 5 points and 11% with 4 points. As of right now 6 points is 100% draw regular

I have a friend who told me Monday of this last week that he didn't draw last year and he said he did the special draw for G and he said he had 6 points going into the draw. Maybe he brainfarted and had 5 points going in to the draw and not 6.

Either way, nothing is ever guaranteed when it comes to the draw system it seems. For example, last year I applied for H in the special draw with 1 point. According to the draw odds from the year before last, H special with 1 pt was a lock to draw for sure. You can imagine my disappointment when I didn't draw. The reason I didn't draw is because the number of applicants for special in H w/1 point jumped like 150+ AND the amount of tags allocated decreased by something like 20, so those two factors combined are what kept me from hunting H last year.

I'm really not trying to be a downer here, just go in to the draw hoping for the best but prepare for the worst, unfortunately

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also have 5 and planned to head to G this season by applying for special. My hunting partner had neck surgery so we are going to wait now. It'll be interesting to see how people apply their points after the extended winter this year. Point creep will only grow this year is probably the best one to hunt G for years to come.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I also have 5 and planned to head to G this season by applying for special. My hunting partner had neck surgery so we are going to wait now. It'll be interesting to see how people apply their points after the extended winter this year. Point creep will only grow this year is probably the best one to hunt G for years to come.

If I had a few more points I think me personally I would risk the winter and go hunt, given that it does only take 5 points special normally I think it would be worth the risk of going. But I'm a few points shy so looks like Idaho for me this year since I'm also a point shy of guaranteeing me a tag for my selected Utah unit.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I had a few more points I think me personally I would risk the winter and go hunt, given that it does only take 5 points special normally I think it would be worth the risk of going. But I'm a few points shy so looks like Idaho for me this year since I'm also a point shy of guaranteeing me a tag for my selected Utah unit.

I agree this the year or be prepared to wait for the rebound. My partner can not pack in heavy until he heals up so going isn't an option for us this year.

I agree this the year or be prepared to wait for the rebound. My partner can not pack in heavy until he heals up so going isn't an option for us this year.

I will have my points again for G by the time of the rebound unless winter is bad like this again in the near future. So may even end up using them elsewhere as there are a few other regions that have really good deer

Yeah I'm going to apply special money and hope I draw this year But plan for the worst.

That's what my plan is. You never know what will happen in life...you gotta just carpe the diem!