2017 Utah

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everyone!

This summer I will be working in Logan, and I am hoping to hunt the opening week before I have to go back to school. I will be able to put a lot of time in scouting and was wondering how exactly does the tag system work in Utah. I can pretty much go anywhere, but I would prefer to stay either around Logan, or go to Wasatch. I am not picky, just trying to learn how the tag system works. Thanks for any input!

Skyler

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you want pm me your number and I'll walk you though it. Everything is a draw tag except regular archery elk. Archery elk season depends on the unit some are spike only some spike or cow only and few places are any bull or cow. The deadline for application is March 2

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I should be rifle hunting the cache this year.
If I can get the time off work I'd be happy to help spot and pack during the archery hunt if your interested.

JimCraig

Lil-Rokslider
I'm very familiar with that area, and I might also be hunting the cache so let me know if you draw a tag.

CorbLand

WKR
The early archery hunt for deer in Utah is great for going to school. Thats what got me into archery hunting to begin with. Like most have stated you will have to put in for the Cache Archery Deer tag, you have until March 2nd for that. It does have very good odds of drawing, generally 100%. Cache can be a tough unit to hunt but there is plenty of land to hunt on and there are some big deer if you can find them.

CorbLand

WKR
How much snow is there right now?

In the valley a couple inches, I was up at third dam today and there was about 6 inches. I haven't been farther up the canyon but about a month ago I was told there was a good 10 feet around the summit. I don't know if that changed with the warm weather we had over the last couple of weeks.

Snotel says there is 120 inches at the Tony Grove station.
Still a bit much to see any deer besides the valley.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Snowing up there right now. I live north of Logan and we got 5-6 inches at the house and it's still socked in up Logan canyon and the other peaks. Snow through tomorrow looks like.

CorbLand

WKR
Snowing up there right now. I live north of Logan and we got 5-6 inches at the house and it's still socked in up Logan canyon and the other peaks. Snow through tomorrow looks like.

Hey we aren't too far from each other.

There was about 5 inches when I woke up this morning. May take a trip up the canyon tomorrow, we will see what happens though.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Hey we aren't too far from each other.

There was about 5 inches when I woke up this morning. May take a trip up the canyon tomorrow, we will see what happens though.

Yep, I'm in Cove, where are you?

CorbLand

WKR
Yep, I'm in Cove, where are you?

I read that as North Logan, not North of Logan but I live in Logan, a couple blocks from the border of N. Logan and Logan. Still not terribly far from you though.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Nope, not at all. I'm in Smithfield and Logan all the time when I'm not on the road for work.

OP
Skyhigh

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
I do not know much about winterkill, do you guys think there will be much with the amount of snow thats been falling?

sneaky

"DADDY"
Depends on how much piles up again from this storm and any subsequent ones. They got a reprieve the past couple of weeks with mild weather, but the past few days haven't worked in their favor for sure. Fingers crossed it isn't too bad, but it could be.