S.D.deer

Alpineman

FNG
I will be hunting elk and deer in Wy. this September. I may have some spare days up my sleeve toward the end of the month so rather than kill time/days sight seeing I would rather do some more hunting. S.D. I believe has over the counter archery deer tags and the season is September please correct me if I am wrong. My question is where would be the best places to start looking for public land to hunt either Mule deer or Whitetail. Thanks in advance.

West River and the Black Hills both have unlimited archery tags but you still have to submit an application in advance. The hills will have a lot more whitetails.

OP
A

Alpineman

FNG
West River and the Black Hills both have unlimited archery tags but you still have to submit an application in advance. The hills will have a lot more whitetails.

Apparently from further research you don't have to submit an application in advance? Does anyone have anything further to add?

drrice

Lil-Rokslider
You will need to apply online for your tag even though it is guaranteed. You will be able to do this in June or July.

"APPLICATION DEADLINE
Applicants may purchase a license throughout the season by applying to the License Office in Ft. Pierre either online or through the mail. Please allow ample time for the license to be processed and mailed to you before you leave for your hunt."
-From page 16 of the deer application brochure.

yeah you can get them during the season if you want to. know people who have just waited to see if they were going to get out west river, then bought them once they knew they had time to do it. as far as finding either whitetail or mule deer (from the little i have done in the prairie), you can usually find both in most areas. Just remember that has been in the few areas I have been too and there are many many areas I haven't even thought about going to. Black hills are fun, but you will see more whitetails than mule deer; some areas in the hills have higher concentrations of mule deer though. Due to the EHD that has gone through areas of the state multiple times, some areas numbers are less, but that has reduced deer tag numbers and IMO has improved the quality/age of the deer somewhat.