Colorado Mule Deer?

stykbow14

FNG
Went elk hunting last year and had a ball. Going this year again but during rifle on a guided hunt with my 73 yo dad. Since I can't chase elk with a bow, I'm thinking about going back where I went last year for archery and chase mule deer. Looks like the area I was in are zero points units for NR. I saw quite a few mule deer last year. Like a couple a day at least. It's not high country but lots of public land. Nothing big but I could care less.

Is it worth it? It's a long way from home, but the chance to roam those mountains again is really calling! Also, what is a good strategy to chase them? I'd saw them randomly while elk hunting and never could find rhyme or reason why they were where they were. Last, what elevation would they be mostly...areas ranged from oak brush, juniper flats up to dark timber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if you got the time and money why not go.. It gets you outside and chasing animals. As for the specifics its hard to say. Don't know where your hunting, different parts of the state are different. Deer by my house come and go based on the rut and weather otherwise they dont move much, however deer in the high country migrate mostly while some may stay resident in towns or around agriculture..Sometimes you can turn up a good buck in the strangest of places, other times you gotta test your lungs and get high into steep and deep country to find a good one.

I'll second the book. Even though your not necessarily going after trophy animals its still a great read and got me fired up to get after some mule deer.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hunting big mule deer, how to take the best deer of your life by Robby Deming

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JO.

Lil-Rokslider
Like others have said, if you have the time and the money, why not? If you've hunted that area before and saw enough deer to consider returning to make a hunt then it sounds like it may be worth the time. Part of hunting out of state entails making a few sacrificial hunts to find areas that work and are worthwhile. Even around the state I have tried new areas for different species that I can check off and some that I try to hunt each year. Areas that require 0 pts may not yield monster bucks or bulls but the possibility is always there. A week chasing them is a better week than at work thinking about them.

JustHunt

FNG
Colorado is ALWAYS worth hunting. Mule deer hunting is much different than Elk hunting. It seems like there was no rhyme or reason for the places you found the deer in, but they didn't show up in those places randomly. But it may seem that way in comparison to elk because when you get into elk, you really get into them, and when your not in them, they seem like unicorns. But deer can be found individually or in smaller groups in a lot of different places. For that reason I think deer are more fun to hunt.