Utah Question

Grundy53

WKR
Quick question. This is my first year applying for Utah. So I'm still trying to learn the ins and outs. I only applied for limited entry permits. Will I still be able to purchase a leftover general season tag when I don't draw a limited entry tag? Thanks for the help.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

I believe any remaining general buck deer permits go on sale in July around the time that general elk permits do. It has become harder and harder to obtain a good general season deer tag over the years.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

JustHunt

FNG
Utah is a little different in that you can apply for two Mule Deer Tags (but can only draw one). You can put in for a limited entry deer hunt, and put in for a general unit deer hunt. So you should have put in for the general deer draw. There may be some leftovers in some units after the draw, but I don't know much about that.

OP
Grundy53

Grundy53

WKR
Utah is a little different in that you can apply for two Mule Deer Tags (but can only draw one). You can put in for a limited entry deer hunt, and put in for a general unit deer hunt. So you should have put in for the general deer draw. There may be some leftovers in some units after the draw, but I don't know much about that.
Maybe I was mistaken but I thought that they changed it so that if you drew a general tag you would lose your bonus points for limited entry.

JustHunt

FNG
In Utah, it's as if they treat general mule deer and LE mule deer as two different species in that you can build points for both.

Now, maybe someone that knows the Utah system will chime in and correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that You would burn your LE deer points if you drew a late season muzzleloader tag on a general unit. Those hunts are on a general unit, but are considered LE, and if I drew, I WOULD treat it like a LE tag. They can be real good hunts. But you would not burn your LE deer points if you drew a tag during the general season on a general unit.

Firehawk

WKR
Maybe I was mistaken but I thought that they changed it so that if you drew a general tag you would lose your bonus points for limited entry.

Actually, if you try to draw a "general season tag", and are unsuccessful, you earn a point (i don't remember if they call them preference points or something else). But...if you put in for a general season tag and draw your second choice option, you will have the tag and will lose your points. I guess in the past this may not have been the case, but that was changed this year.

Limited Entry tags utilize bonus points. You can apply for both Limited Entry and General season mule deer. You can only have one buck deer tag, so you would have to turn one back in if you drew both (Unless the system automatically gives you the LE tag if you drew it). You can only apply for one species of LE tag each year. And you can also apply for the Once in a Lifetime tags.

I hope that this helps.

Good luck out there.

FH

sneaky

"DADDY"
Actually, if you try to draw a "general season tag", and are unsuccessful, you earn a point (i don't remember if they call them preference points or something else). But...if you put in for a general season tag and draw your second choice option, you will have the tag and will lose your points. I guess in the past this may not have been the case, but that was changed this year.

Limited Entry tags utilize bonus points. You can apply for both Limited Entry and General season mule deer. You can only have one buck deer tag, so you would have to turn one back in if you drew both (Unless the system automatically gives you the LE tag if you drew it). You can only apply for one species of LE tag each year. And you can also apply for the Once in a Lifetime tags.

I hope that this helps.

Good luck out there.

FH

As a NR he can apply for all the LE species tags. If you draw a general season tag it has no effect on your LE points. LE points are completely separate. Nonresidents have the advantage in being able to apply for every species. Residents have to pick one between elk or deer, and one species from the OIL tags.

sneaky

"DADDY"

No, what they changed was losing your points if you drew a 2nd thru 5th choice. Used to be if you drew something other than your first choice you got to keep your points. Now you lose your general season points if you draw any of your general season choices. No affect on your LE points.

OP
Grundy53

Grundy53

WKR
Thanks for the info guys. I really appreciate it. Now I'm kicking myself for not putting in for a general tag. Oh well, guess it's part of the learning curve. Hopefully I'll be able to pick up a leftover tag.

Firehawk

WKR
As a NR he can apply for all the LE species tags. If you draw a general season tag it has no effect on your LE points. LE points are completely separate. Nonresidents have the advantage in being able to apply for every species. Residents have to pick one between elk or deer, and one species from the OIL tags.

Didn't catch the NR part of this. Didn't even cross my mind that the LE is handled different. Sorry about that. But we are all in agreement regarding the changes made to the General season deer tag points.

FH

Grundy,
You can still purchase a general season deer preference point for next year for another week.
There may be more leftover tags this year with the change to the way preference points are lost.

OP
Grundy53

Grundy53

WKR
Grundy,
You can still purchase a general season deer preference point for next year for another week.
There may be more leftover tags this year with the change to the way preference points are lost.
Thank you. Hope you're right about there being more leftover tags.

2blade

WKR
There were general deer tags left over last yr in some of the units up north. I have no idea on the quality in these units cause I live down south. and like mtnrunner said, with the change to the point system, there could be leftovers elsewhere.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
My prediction is tons of left over tags but they'll sell out in a couple hours after they go on sale. With the change no one is sure how it play out.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Most of the leftover tags get bought up by guys who have no intentions of hunting those units, but wait till the extended units open on the Wasatch front