Idaho panhandle unit 1 mule deer.

ICEMAN86

FNG
I am more than likely going to be relocating in the next few months to the Sandpoint area and would like to start mule deer hunting. The question is, is the mule deer hunting in unit 1 any good? I have never looked into this area until the last week or so but cant find much.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Very tough place to hunt mule deer. But yes they are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
I

ICEMAN86

FNG
thats kinda what i thought i would hear but since they are there i might as well try. I planned on getting a regular deer tag anyway and planning a week long trip somewhere around unit 27 possibly and then hunting around unit 1 if i do get moved up there by the time the season rolls around.

Crazy thick country, low deer densities, but the potentials of giant deer. Keep an eye out for whitetail too as that is one of the best whitetails areas in the state. A few years ago my dad had a moose tag north of Sandpoint and up to Bonners Ferry. We found a net 188" typical whitetail dead head up pack river.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
I

ICEMAN86

FNG
i know what you mean about thick, ive hunted the Dworshak zone for the past 20 years and its the land of regen you cant even walk through. i think i saw a picture of that 188 buck on a different thread, that things a toad.

OP
I

ICEMAN86

FNG
i know this is the mule deer section but hows the bear hunting in this area?

b0nes

Lil-Rokslider
Bear hunting can be great, no bait and no dogs I believe. Spot and stalk only. If you end up relocating maybe we can spend a few days in unit 1. I hunted mulies in 1 this year, only located does and small bucks, but I only had 1 day per weekend to hunt though during november. If you have an atv you can access the high country in a few places. If you get off your atv and hike up top you'll be alone, everyone just drives the trails up there and never hikes. Also saw a 320ish class bull in the area I deer hunt, too had it was a week after elk closed. In unit 1 always be prepared for encounters with grizzlies also, on yeah and don't forget your wolf tags!

OP
I

ICEMAN86

FNG
Never leave home without a wolf tag in my pocket, even got to fill a couple a few years ago. I do have an atv, i like to use it mostly to access areas and game retrieval, not a big fan of sitting on them all day hoping to get lucky. What i would like to do is get into the high country and do a lot of glassing and spot and stalk type hunting. Im hoping i can make it up there this spring bear season for a weekend and do some exploring if the snow isn't to deep still.

Depending on where you go atvs are out. Most of the roads here are gated. Not to mention that alot are now washed out and they won't repair them. There is alot of pressure on mullies here because everybody wants one. I seen soooooo many doe last year it wasn't even funny . I was within 10 yards of most of them. Didn't see one buck......not a one! Bear here is decent. No bait in unit 1. Go online for the regs. Just download the pdf. Get a wolf tag or 3....they are cheap.