Flatland muleys.

So im headed to SD this coming fall. First out of state hunt. First mule deer hunt. Not going to say where im hunting. Just that its prairie country and fairly flat with occasional draws, cuts, coulies, whatever you want to call them. I will be bowhunting. Im confident out to 70 yrds. Practice past 100 daily. Anybody have advice on trying to get in close?

JigStick

WKR
Play the wind. Glass in the morning. Watch them until they bed. Make your stalk. Wait for them to get up. Shoot

drrice

Lil-Rokslider
Hopefully you can find them bedded in the perfect spot. Wind is going to be your biggest challenge. What time of year are you going? Public or private ground?

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
judging distance can be really tricky on deer in wide open terrain. Practice that a lot and range everything you can on your stalk.

quibton

FNG
So im headed to SD this coming fall. First out of state hunt. First mule deer hunt. Not going to say where im hunting. Just that its prairie country and fairly flat with occasional draws, cuts, coulies, whatever you want to call them. I will be bowhunting. Im confident out to 70 yrds. Practice past 100 daily. Anybody have advice on trying to get in close?
We are in the same boat. In for some more info.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
Check and see what the winter has done this year in certain parts of the state there have been a pretty big winter kill. Pm me if you dont want to say on the open forum i can let you know how hard the area has been hit.

NYSKIER

WKR
Just a heads up North Western South Dakota is having a rough time according to one of the conservation officers that I spoke with. Might want to get a hold of some of the CO's in April after the snow clears to see how things are looking. I was planning a trip to south dakota as well but might be reconsidering.

KurtR

WKR
That is opening weekend of rifle antelope might want to reconsider and come a week earlier. Other wise wear orange and watch your back sneaking around that week is not some thing i would do.

drrice

Lil-Rokslider
Just as KurtR said antelope season is Sept. 30th - Oct. 15th. You can still find the deer during this time but if I were you I would either come the first week of the season or the week right before West River rifle deer season opens.