Strip vs Kaibab

jm1607

WKR
Have a fun hypothetical one for you guys...

Assuming you hire a good outfitter and not counting weapon preference (like, I want the strip tag because I prefer my bow or rifle cause I have a better chance of getting something down), which would you rather have in hand and/or which are you more likely to kill a bigger mulie?

13A Early Archery tag or a 12B Late Rifle rut tag?

kennyt

FNG
I would pick 13a archery. It is a long season and the guides will have the bucks patterned. Sometimes rain can mess you up as most bucks are killed over water.

JustHunt

FNG
If your considering guided, 13A hands down. Most of the deer that move into 12B during the late season come from either 12A or the Pauns in UT. I don't know what kind of quality of bucks come in from the Pauns, but don't count on finding a big buck (190+) coming from 12A. I was once brainwashed by magazine articles, forum chats, tv shows and books talking about how great the Kaibab is or once was for big bucks. But truth be told, its a TOUGH place to hunt if your looking for a buck of some size. The really big bucks on the Kaibab are very few and far in-between. It takes A LOT of scouting and some luck to turn up a good one. If you have the points to draw 13, don't waste it on a 12 hunt. That said, both of those hunts are really different. You'd see a lot of deer on the late hunt, but few deer on the archery strip hunt.