Montana Draw Question

I just got the opportunity to go on a guided mule deer hunt in eastern Montana and it appears that I need to put in for the draw for a non-resident license by the 15th. We we instructed to put in for the deer/elk combo to better our odds to get a license. I noticed the state allows you the option to give back your elk license if you were not picked for a permit and get a refund for the elk license while keeping your deer and other licenses. Since this is strictly a deer hunt could I intentionally submit for an elk permit to an area that I wouldn't get drawn so I can still be in the larger pool with better odds of getting a deer license this year? Or would that some how bump me out of that pool. I don't see how it would but since this the first time applying for out of state I thought I would ask.

dble07

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure I see the logic in applying for the elk/deer combo if you are only wanting to deer hunt since the draws are separate for each species. You said Eastern Montana so I'm assuming you are wanting the general tag since there is only one permit area on that side of the state for non residents. General deer licenses have been undersold the in the past which means you could pick one up after the draw but that is not a guarantee so I would still apply before the deadline. Sounds like you need to get with the outfitter and have him explain his logic further. Someone chime in if I'm missing something.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
C
it looks like only 4,600 deer combo licenses are available for non-residents and that 17,000 are available for the non-resident for the deer/ elk combo. I was told that the deer combo was 50/50 since demand is higher than supplied compared to the deer/elk where supply is greater than demand. I'll be calling the outfitter tomorrow but wanted to make sure I don't over look anything since the deadline is just few days away.

JustHunt

FNG
The last 5 or 6 years, both the Elk/Deer Combo and Deer Combo were 100% draw odds. The last 5 years there were even leftovers for both after the draw. Truth be told, the deer combo leftovers sold out much faster last year than it had the previous 5 years. I think they sold out the day the leftovers went on sale. It is possible that they may sell out all deer combo tags this year in the draw, and some guys may not draw, as demand may be higher than the supply. Reason being, a pretty well known hunting show host has been touting Eastern Montana deer hunts since last fall and seems like there is a lot of interest from his viewers. So its possible you may not draw the deer combo, but the odds will still be much higher than the 50/50 odds your guide told you about.

The deer combo and the deer/elk combo are different allocations and different draw pools. Statistically, the deer combo has always been harder to get than the deer/elk combo, with the exception of the last 7 years since I-161 passed. It's all about risk I guess. Odds are pretty decent that you will draw the deer combo if you apply for it. You are probably guaranteed to draw if you apply for the deer/elk combo and then opt for the refund.

My personal opinion, is that is making for one pretty expensive deer tag if you draw the deer/elk combo and do the 80% refund/LE permit gaggle. Why not just take the elk tag and go on a DIY elk hunt for a few days afterwards?