Colorado 3rd season mule deer

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
Hello I'm trying to draw a 3rd season tag in unit 15 or 41. I only have 1 point so it looks like I would have a chance at drawing these units. I'm wondering what the deer density and hunting pressure is like in these unit during the third season. I also wanted to know how much public land is in the middle to low elevations in the units considering there is a possibility for significant snow fall during the 3rd season. If you prefer to pm me feel free to do so. Thank you for any help in advance.
Pete

wildcat33

WKR
Lots of public land in both those units, low and high. Totally different vibe though terrain wise. Having not have hunted either of those (but spent a decent amount of time camping and fishing in both) I would decide based on what kind of experience I was looking to have. To over simplify: 15 is going to be dense with lots of timber and blowdown (i.e. sarvis creek) and more of a classic aspen-pine landscape. 41 is going to be more open views, P-J, and west slope-mesa type country (unless you're on the grand mesa of course).

I'd pick whichever one of those sounds like better camping to you and/or you're hunting style.

Expecting hunting pressure to be high in both those units.

OP
Pistolpete28

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I have never hunted in the PJ type country, but I've always wanted to try it. Based on your description I would be more comfortable in 15. I'll think about it some more than decide, I was just worried about picking a unit with not much public land in the lower elevations.

wildcat33

WKR
Go here, all you need to know about land distribution:

Colorado Parks and Wildlife Atlas

I'd also suggest to download the huntX map for phone or gps, it will help you tremendously, especially when you get into the BLM land. There are LOTS of public parcels that are not clearly marked.

530Chukar

WKR
Hunted 41 for 3 years now and deer density can be very good in the right basins. Find some high spots that you can glass a lot of country. Once you find the deer numbers just glass them for hours. I'd wait until the second half of the season when the mature bucks really start to rut.