Anyone have any experience in South Western Nebraska

NYSKIER

WKR
Hey guys I'm looking to do an OTC muley hunt while I collect points in other states so I can gain some knowledge. I like that Nebraska has a Sept 1 opener because it should make it a little easier to pattern deer an hopefully they will be out in the open. I was wondering if any one on here as any experience with Cedar Valley WMA or Wapita WMA in the south western portion of the state. Just looking to see if its worth the effort or I should look somewhere else. Feel free to PM me

Thanks in advance

Our place is about 45 min south of you. There's some really good deer in the area but you'll have to work for them. Not sure about pressure because I'm fortunate enough to hunt our ranch. Yeah they're easy to pattern. Go sit at the windmill and wait.

Hope this points you in a direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
Thanks for the help it's good to hear from someone who lives in the area. I don't mind putting in the effort. If I do end up going I'm looking to get down there a few days before the season opener to scout. Time to start scouting hard via topos and google earth.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
I am from Sidney, which is basically the area you are talking about. Are you looking to hunt in the sandhills?

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
I thought about the sandhills but I heard there isn't much cover for stalking and a lower deer density

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
I thought about the sandhills but I heard there isn't much cover for stalking and a lower deer density

While there is less stalking cover there are still decent stalking opportunities, usually should be capable of getting under 60 yds using the hills themselves. Also because the hills are made of sand it makes for quiet stalking. I have had pretty good luck during the summer/ early fall with finding mule deer on the public land spot I go to, which I would be willing to share glassing spots and such with you. If you look up heartland bowhunter and the Bowmars both have sandhill bowhunting videos. Figure its another option anyway

OP
N

NYSKIER

WKR
Thanks for the help I appreciate it. I'll definitely look into those videos I'm a big fan of heartland bowhunter. I'll send you a PM

vanish

WKR
My wife and I are switching our annual Nebraska hunt this year from rifle hunting reservoirs to archery hunting the open country. Would love any more advice people have on hunting those sandhills, which would probably be the same advice NYSKIER could use!

Hi - new to Rokslide, browsing through the forum and just came across this thread. i just started bowhunting about 3 years ago and have spent quite a bit of time in SW Nebraska - long archery season from Sept 1 - Dec 31 seems like it was a good way to spent time in the field and figure it out a bit. I've primarily been chasing mule deer, however, there is very little public property. The public property available is mostly around reservoirs and primarily whitetail habitat. Getting access to private property is REALLY TOUGH - i grew up in NE many years ago and it was a big surprise to me how much the attitudes have changed towards allowing access (in many cases, it's no doubt justified). I ended up doing a lease with a rancher, but also have spent a bunch of time near Wapiti - in particular check out the Open Canyons Initiative (OCI) - there is a bunch of OCI property near Wapiti and in what's called the Loess Hills - a band that runs East to West about 30 miles south of North Platte - there are probably 15-20 OCI properties - I didn't "discover" these properties until late last year, but they definitely hold mule deer (and turkeys). The OCI properties show up on the onXmaps app, as well as the interactive map available from the NE game and parks website. Hope that helps. LOTS of spot and stalk opportunities - and lots of blown spot and stalks for me! :)