WY & 8 Pts

jm1607

WKR
How so?

I don't see very many people that are already "invested" dropping out over a few more dollars?

Maybe less new people coming in though?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I think (depending on how much the increase will be) there will be people that once they burn their points will get out of the WY game completely. I'm 1-2 years away from my Elk and Antelope tag and I probably won't start collecting points again once I use them. Deer I probably will though since Region G & H are pretty obtainable..

wytx

WKR
As the winterkill results get known tags may be cut further in the next few years. If biologist determine that large numbers of animals in certain age classes are not represented in the population they will adjust the seasons, so you may find tag cuts in the next few years. That may affect your draw odds more than the PP pool of hunters. Deer numbers are up in some regions and ratio are awesome for buck/doe. Patience and persistance and you can find a good one. Some seasons have been extended this year and may be adjusted again in the next few years as they tweak the ratios through harvest.

vanish

WKR
I am one of those hoping to "drop out" of the Wyoming points game this year, assuming I draw. I wasn't applying in Wyoming for a trophy, but just to increase my opportunity. The increase is more than "a few more dollars" when you add up increases to the tag, app fee, point fees and archery permit. Since I live in Colorado I'm going to hunt those same species anyway. I decided I would rather take that money and hunt something more exotic.

OP
Jdog

Jdog

WKR
thanks for all the inputs fellas--very much appreciated.

We want to hunt this year--who knows what the future holds.

Still in research mode.

J

204guy

WKR
Unfortunately I think the odds are going to drop across the board. The increased license fees and the possibility of points going from $40 to $75 is going to cause a lot of guys to say screw it I'm done collecting points in WY. Especially considering that unless you have 9-10 points you aren't really gaining ground. The $70 archery permit is insane and BS also. I'm not even sure that $ goes to anything archery related anyway. WY is really not an archery friendly state. The winterkill will offset some of this but I bet it's not much.

204guy

WKR
Except for a type 9 license the archery permit has always been an extra to hunt during the archery season.

wytx

WKR
Wyoming is very archery friendly. For an extra fee , small fee, you get to hunt 2 different seasons.

JWP58

WKR
I don't get the "should I burn points " conversations. Do you want to hunt??? You can hunt every year if you don't thumb your nose at the "lesser units"....or hoard your points and don't hunt...less crowds for me.

Big deer can be found in any area. Are there more in some? Yes. But if you're lucky you might just find that 180" buck in a lowly general area.

Last edited: