WY & 8 Pts

Jdog

WKR
Fellaz - anyone willing to share info on WY deer hunts that would be solid for DIY guys & 8 pts...

I've only elk hunted once in WY.

Any info is appreciated--PM me.

Thank you.

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Jdog. I hunted south of Riverton think it was unit 82. Had max points three years ago. Was not impressed. Shot the biggest buck I saw, a 3x3 26" wide, heavy but not what I was expecting. He was skinny, other deer looked the same. Eastmans rated it as a blue chip unit. Pretty tough call with the bad winter it had this year. Drove through G and H and seen real decent bucks near a major highway. That's my two cents and only WY experience. Hope it helps. Rob

FURMAN

WKR
I don't think this year is going to be a year to burn 8 points in WY with the winter they have had. I also don't think Wyoming has any secrets.

wytx

WKR
I wouldn't wait to burn those points. The winterkill will be more apparent in a few years when the age gap shows up. Hunt in the next year or two, mature bucks will still be out there. Find a LQ tag that takes 8 pts and it will be a good unit.

jm1607

WKR
I don't think this year is going to be a year to burn 8 points in WY with the winter they have had. I also don't think Wyoming has any secrets.

X2

I would save for at least this year and see how things shake out. Also, you should be close to winning a max point unit? I would hold out at this point..

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
X2

I would save for at least this year and see how things shake out. Also, you should be close to winning a max point unit? I would hold out at this point..

This is BAD information.

There are 2201 Non residents with 8 points going into this year's deer draw.

There are 5917 non resident ahead of him with 9, 10, and 11 preference points going into this year's draw.

Going hunting is better than not. I've got 11 points and I am not waiting because of weather, I'm just waiting to find a good place to go when I have enough vacation to use it. Points are just insurance for me. I ended up using 13 points for an AZ elk tag that took 8 last year because I had a time slot open this fall and I wanted to go elk hunting...

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I wouldn't wait to burn those points. The winterkill will be more apparent in a few years when the age gap shows up. Hunt in the next year or two, mature bucks will still be out there. Find a LQ tag that takes 8 pts and it will be a good unit.

Best advice. I agree 100%.

mcseal2

WKR
The big bucks that did survive the winter will likely have amazing feed with all the moisture. There will be less older bucks around but those that are there might grow amazing racks. I think it will take 4-5 years to get past this winter's damage, so unless you want to wait quite a while I'd hunt.

wytx

WKR
There are some regions where the buck/doe ratio is amazing right now and they are not LQ units. Big bucks are few and far between but are out there in units that don't take max PP. Waiting a few years will only put you hunting lower population densities in areas that are experiencing winterkill this year. G and H are not the only areas with big bucks. Spring moisture is looking good right now, wet snow this morning here, good snowpack for summer runoff, who knows what next year holds. I'm betting some other NR in your boat with 8 pts hopes you decide to not apply. Come hunt and have a great time.

TEmbry

WKR
The problem with going now/waiting a few years after a bad winter is that it's a crapshoot either way. In most areas, old bucks run down from the rut and fawns are the first to go.

No one can answer your question really without knowing your expectations from the hunt. What size deer you looking for? Archery or gun? First time mulie hunting or seasoned vet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FURMAN

WKR
I understand there are many different agendas here but I will explain why I would wait. The deer that are killed by winter kill will mostly be fawns and older bucks. The prime age bucks will be mostly unaffected which sounds great on the surface. There are not many limited quota units you can draw with 8 points. This leaves, for the most part, the better general units which residents can hunt anytime. You, most likely did not save 8 points to spend on a lesser LQ area. So if you go to a general area there will be less deer and, for the most part, the same number of hunters. The prime age bucks will be more effected in 4-6 years due to the lack of fawn survival. If I were saving points I would wait a year or two. I only have 5 points and I am not on the saving points agenda. I will be hunting a unit I can hunt every 2-3 years. Ultimately they are your points and either way you go is a gamble. I also have points in every state so sitting this year out in WY and ID is no big deal for me.

jm1607

WKR
On a side note, maybe best to burn this year before both the tag and PP price increase next year??

This is BAD information.

There are 2201 Non residents with 8 points going into this year's deer draw.

There are 5917 non resident ahead of him with 9, 10, and 11 preference points going into this year's draw.

Going hunting is better than not. I've got 11 points and I am not waiting because of weather, I'm just waiting to find a good place to go when I have enough vacation to use it. Points are just insurance for me. I ended up using 13 points for an AZ elk tag that took 8 last year because I had a time slot open this fall and I wanted to go elk hunting...

I guess we have different opinions on how to use preference points. I would rather hold out longer than burn points on a unit that takes much less points to draw in most instances..

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
On a side note, maybe best to burn this year before both the tag and PP price increase next year??

I guess we have different opinions on how to use preference points. I would rather hold out longer than burn points on a unit that takes much less points to draw in most instances..

My main point was he is a LIFETIME from being close to max points tag. He has close to 6000 people to go thru before he gets to the 2000 in his point pool.

Definitely go for an 8 point unit, or share with a buddy and both go to a 4 point unit...but waiting for a MAX point tag when you are 6000 people behind is not smart.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
And I don't worry too much about the press a unit gets. I took this bull last time in the unit I drew for this fall. And was on many more, larger. Always rated "poor" by the "experts".

Definitely different strokes for different folks. I'm happy to be hunting elk with my longbow this fall.

204guy

WKR
J-dog. Looks like Units 87 & 89 are going to be the best way to get max value out of your 8 points. Both were about 50% odds last year with 8 points in the special. Of those 2 I'd lean towards 87 as it has better access. There's some rough and very isolated country but it's more of a high desert type hunt. If you want a true high alpine backpack hunt I'd not feel to bad about burning the points for G and going hunting.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a feeling the odds will change this year will the price increase coming.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mtnboy

WKR
I have a feeling the odds will change this year will the price increase coming.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
How so?

I don't see very many people that are already "invested" dropping out over a few more dollars?

Maybe less new people coming in though?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Chad E

WKR
I think the speculation is that people holding points right now will burn them before the price increase thus making some tags harder to draw.
How so?

I don't see very many people that are already "invested" dropping out over a few more dollars?

Maybe less new people coming in though?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk