Anybody planning on backpack hunting eastern sierras, X9-X10 D7-D8

klxracer92

Lil-Rokslider
I am tentatively planning on applying for the archery season in X9C. Tags didn't sell out last year so I have a good chance to draw. I am looking for anyone who is planning on a backpack hunt that may want help scouting and/or hunting in any of these units. Or joining me for any of my planned hunt/scouting trips. I will probably be focusing on D17 and D14 for archery deer/bear this year.

I'm just looking for a little change in scenery, and the opportunity to gain more experiences out in the field. I am working up a plan to hunt bear in the sierras this year as well.I am also training to hike Mount Whitney in late July, so I should be in great shape.

Thanks,

Jake

I hope the snow melts enough by July so the pass will open to get down there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seansheds

FNG
Where do you live and how long have you been hunting?

desertcj

WKR
There's a reason that x9c had leftover tags. It's probably one of the most difficult units in the state to fill a tag. If you just want to hunt and hunt hard, then you may find that old ghost of a muley we all dream of...why not?

JustHunt

FNG
If I were dead set on hunting CA every year and willing to eat tag soup trying for a big one, x9c is where I'de be going myself. Haven't hunted it, but have heard of it. Might try it one day. I like the fact of how remote it is. I believe the deer in there are considered Rocky Mountain mule deer while the ones across the Owens in the sierras are a smaller deer, California mule deer, I believe. So you have a chance of seeing a bigger one in there, but may not even see a deer...

MAVinWA

Lil-Rokslider
Based in WA, OTC archery public land in AZ, UT, so
I live within a mile of the Camp Pendleton Vandergrift backgate.
this is my southern CAL house.
3 years off & on here now and figuring out/scouting this S.Cal muley hunting is no easy task. Yet to purchase non-resident license for Cal.
From my WA state residence, a 3 hour drive put me in good muley country, 5 hour drive put me in excellent muley country.
In southern Cal, 8-9 hour drive gets me to AZ for the holiday OTC seasons and about same for UT if I draw general archery late August.

scouting southern Cal areas here....I could cry if this was my only hunt option.

seansheds

FNG
Last year was my first year hunting CA. Moved from PA a few years ago.

I can definitely tell you skip D8. I did two 3 day scouting weekends in several areas and saw sign but no deer. They I hunted a couple areas for 5 days and only saw two spike deer. They were together and it was when I was driving to another spot!

This year I'm planning to hunt D5-D7 because the populations are much better the farther north you go. I'll also be getting another A31 tag which is either sex. I saw more deer hunting Angeles Nat Forest.

X9C is a super high risk of tag soup. I feel I have much better odds with AO and A31

The deer in X9C, X10, X9B and at least most of X9A are Inyo Mule Deer, and known to not have the rack size of Rocky Mountain Mule Deer. The hunting is these zones is tough (actually that is an understatement). For many, if not most hunters, it's tough to find a single buck, let alone multiple bucks. I hunt X10, rifle. I haven't checked the archery results in years, but I can tell you, that it went zero percent success for years, and for good reason. Yes there are deer in these zones, and some nice bucks, and of those nice bucks, once in a while, a really nice buck. But the better bucks are generally 22-24" wide 4x4s. And usually, you will need to work for them. I've never hunted X9C, nor have I ever scouted it, but from my understanding, a very good starting point is the hills and mountains around the Saline Valley. However, the deer will be far and few, and even moreso for the bucks. My advice would be to take the first legal buck you have an opportunity at, and utilize any left over time (if there is any) scouting. Go in with the mindset of learning the area, finding out some areas the animals use during the season (they will change use areas as the seasons change, moreso actually) rather than thinking your going to fill your tag. In other words, make a long term investment in the area, so that after a while, your success rate will be better than most). If I recall correctly the success rate in X9C is about 10% at best.

Can a guy take a good buck from these zones, yes. Can a guy take a good buck on a regular basis, yes. But it takes a significant amount of work-investment (I am not talking a monetary investment). I took a couple fairly new hunters under my wing, and we run about a 75% success rateñ but I have put them on their bucks every year except for last year, and since I am after a mature buck in this zone, I don´t always pull the trigger on the hunt, despite have ample opportunity on legal bucks. They just aren´t in the maturity class I am looking for. I have seen a few smoker bucks in the zone over the years, and blown a few opportunities over the years too. I´ve also harvested some nice bucks. My buddies, well since they consider themselves still fairly new, they are still just trying to fill their tags. But, kep in mind, that I have scouted the zone year round, and hunted it for about 20 years now. I´ve worn out several pairs of boots in just the scouting I´ve done.

Aditionally, these zones are steeper and much more rocky than most first think. Subsequently, the country tends to chew most up and spit them out. What I mean, is that between it being an ardous hunt, and few deer, the combonation of the two leave most feeling worn to the bone. On top of all of that, is weather that can be unpredictable. There are often isolated severe storms, so you need to be prepared for them. I´ve hunted in 85plus degree weather, to weather than never came close to rising above freezing. Then there are the north winds, that just come ripping through there, so you will want to be very aware of where you set up camp. I chatted with one gentleman a few years back. He was looking for advice, but decided to go with an area he found on his own. He took his young son and a single pack horse. He told me that on their first night on the mountain, it started to rain. About 5 days later it stopped. It was a freezing rain as I recall, and didn´t let up much. I still recall going out in it and spending the day huddled under a cedar. The next coupl days, I stayed in camp (a pack in camp), and did camp chores, mostly cutting wood. They on the other hand spent the entire time in their tent, wanting to do nothing but get out there. I had the luxery of a heated tent, the ability to dry my wet clothes... They on the other hand, were miserable. I´m not trying to scare you away from the hunt, I´m trying to provide you with some real world insight. So in short, I say go for it, but be prepared, and don´t have your expectations set to high.

OP
klxracer92

klxracer92

Lil-Rokslider
I'm about 3 miles from Naval Weapons Station. Unfortunately this is where I'll be living until I finish college. I am going to try and hunt AZ for OTC deer in January. I hunted with a bow and scouted a combined 20 days last year and got within 30 yards of buck on Camp P. Then ~40 yards in D17. It's definitely difficult in SoCal, but it's what i have at the moment so I will make the best of it. Good luck this year and thank you for replying.

OP
klxracer92

klxracer92

Lil-Rokslider
I actually killed my only buck up in D8. I may consider D5-D6 but it's quite the commute for me. I've considered A22 and/or A31 but have never hunted the Angeles forest. I've only hunted on Camp Pendelton which is in San Diego county. Thank you for taking the time to reply. Good luck this season!

OP
klxracer92

klxracer92

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately I am pretty dead set on CA this year. I've seen pictures of a few deer that have come out of X9C. I can't remember exactly, but I thought x9c was Inyo Mule Deer. I could be totally wrong. Regardless it's definitely remote and you may never see another hunter. I do believe there are some big deer up there.I'm used to not seeing many deer where hunt. I may try this zone this year, just for the heck of it. Let me know you want to hunt it this year. Thank you for replying. Good luck this season!

OP
klxracer92

klxracer92

Lil-Rokslider
Bubblehide, thank you for confirming they're Inyo deer. Really appreciate the advice, and i will look into those areas. Are you on Jesse's hunting forum also? I think I've read some of your hunting stories that have ended in some great bucks.

I definitely agree with you in going in with low expectations and focus on learning the area. I am really just wanting a change in scenery, like the ever ending of whats over the next hill. I wouldn't mind shooting a forkie in any unit because I've only killed one buck in the last 6 years or so. I will do my best to be prepared and hunt hard, then of course have fun. Thanks for the information and taking the time to reply. Good luck this season!

Bubblehide, thank you for confirming they're Inyo deer. Really appreciate the advice, and i will look into those areas. Are you on Jesse's hunting forum also? I think I've read some of your hunting stories that have ended in some great bucks.

...!

klx, I use to be on Jesses, but he publically stated that he does not intend to moderate the forum, and things were, well, out of hand. He prefers to rely on members reporting violations. From my experience, he has done nothing but give a weak warning, with the exception of one instance of me copying and pasting a bunch of rude posts (an understatement) from one out of hand member. I did it publically, so it didn´t leave Jesse much choice in responding to it firmly. JHO continued with the lack of moderation. So I ceased using JHO. That forum just lost it´s appeal. Besides, this forum is full of exceptionally knowledable people, and is actually moderated. Subsequently, it´s a pleasure to be here.

In the zone I hunt, it is exceptionally important to get to a good position before first shooting light, and just sit and glass for at least 2 hours. The deer are often there, just bedded, and usually hidden. If you don´t give a spot at least 2 hours, your likley passing deer and not knowing it. Keep in mind that there is no set go to rule in these zones, other than knowing spots that are heavily used, or spots that are used for specific reasons (such as protected from those winds out of the north), and sitting on them a while with as litle movement as possible. The issue is in identifying those areas, it usually comes with tons of burnt boot leather, or insight from a hunter experienced in the given area. I can´t tell you how many times I have sat in the dark waiting for the sun to come up, and continuing to wait for 2 plus hours, thinking I should move to another location, and then like magic a deer get up out of it´s bed, then another... to find 30 plus deer have been bedded 100 to 450 yards from me the whole time. To top it off, I not only glassed the whole area, but I gridded it with my spotter, finding nothing, or perhaps a couple does. Other times, the sun came up, and the deer have been returning to their beds. But in short, I try to hunt areas that other hunters in the area are not hunting. In 9c, your right, you will have plenty of area all to yourself. The frustrasting part will be finding the animals.

Best of luck to you too!

desertcj

WKR
I will give you some advice on D7 since it's my backyard and I've hunted/backpacked it extensively. Awesome scenery and good trout fishing, but bucks are few and far between! Success ratio is like 7%...I think that might be optimistic. 9000+ hunters, those numbers are real...lol

boom

WKR
my only bow killed deer was up at x9..i think it is an A-16 tag?\

buddy and i have enough points together to pull it off again. BUT. i found a decent spot in D7 i want to try to backpack in to. my usual spot is insanely busy now. people arguing and calling the game warden on each other. pass. it is a good hike to a beautiful spot tho.

desertcj

WKR
Boom, I haven't had much of a problem during Archery season. Just a lot of granola crunchers during that time frame. Rifle season, D7...lol. No thanks.