Region H

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and have been reading for a few years now and decided to finally join the conversation. I don't want people to take this post the wrong way, I'm not asking for specific info about region H. I just want to know peoples general feeling if region G is worth the wait over region H for a non-resident. I am not a trophy hunter per-say, however, I don't shoot young animals. I don't care if a buck is a two point if he's mature ( I realize sometimes its hard to tell age but I try hard to let the young ones live so I aim for 5 years+ age on a deer) I will shoot him every time! I also tend to care a lot more about the experience than the trophy. So if Region G is less of a circus during the hunt that would mean a lot to me. I am happy to help anyone out about Utah mule deer if they have questions. Any input is welcome!

jm1607

WKR
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and have been reading for a few years now and decided to finally join the conversation. I don't want people to take this post the wrong way, I'm not asking for specific info about region H. I just want to know peoples general feeling if region G is worth the wait over region H for a non-resident. I am not a trophy hunter per-say, however, I don't shoot young animals. I don't care if a buck is a two point if he's mature ( I realize sometimes its hard to tell age but I try hard to let the young ones live so I aim for 5 years+ age on a deer) I will shoot him every time! I also tend to care a lot more about the experience than the trophy. So if Region G is less of a circus during the hunt that would mean a lot to me. I am happy to help anyone out about Utah mule deer if they have questions. Any input is welcome!

From what I understand H is less of a zoo and just as equal in quality to G, but it's mostly wilderness so will require a guide or resident to accompany you. That's the only real world difference, 4-5 points for G as opposed to 1-2 (or whatever H is right now) is so that you can DIY

I hunt both every year. Both are over hunted but you can find spots with less pressure if you get into some nasty stuff. Finding mature deer isn't usually a problem, this year may be different.

Eagle

WKR
From what I understand H is less of a zoo and just as equal in quality to G, but it's mostly wilderness so will require a guide or resident to accompany you. That's the only real world difference, 4-5 points for G as opposed to 1-2 (or whatever H is right now) is so that you can DIY

If H is less of a zoo than G, I can't imagine what G must be like. H was incredibly crowded the year I hunted it, and while some of it is wilderness, the better deer areas are not, so it's a non issue. The most crowded areas within H are Cliff/Clause Creek and anything near Hoback from my experience and research, FYI.

I hunted H in 16. Was happy with my hunt. My dad and brother are residents and usually hunt G but dad harvested a great buck in H this year.
In my opinion it's not worth the extra years for G but I also have resident help for wilderness if that matters to you.

OP
M
If H is less of a zoo than G, I can't imagine what G must be like. H was incredibly crowded the year I hunted it, and while some of it is wilderness, the better deer areas are not, so it's a non issue. The most crowded areas within H are Cliff/Clause Creek and anything near Hoback from my experience and research, FYI.

Thanks for letting me know. I don't have anyone in Wyoming to go with and I refuse to hunt with a guide, guided hunting just isn't my thing. So I would be hunting the non wilderness areas. I cant imagine it would be too much worse than the Wasatch front rifle hunts in Utah?

I hunted H in 16. Was happy with my hunt. My dad and brother are residents and usually hunt G but dad harvested a great buck in H this year.
In my opinion it's not worth the extra years for G but I also have resident help for wilderness if that matters to you.

Congrats to your dad! Got a pic you could post? I love hunting H, was hoping to last year but didn't draw...hoping to this year :D

bricketts

FNG
To the WY Residents, what are your thoughts on how the hunting will be this year with the winter you have had in Region H? Also, @mtnrunner260 if you don't mind I'd love to see a pic as well, i love big mulies!!

4ester

WKR
Jury is still out on how bad the winter kill is. A large portion of the winter range is closed until May 1st. I think you will really know when shed hunting season opens and guys start hitting the hills. WY F&G lost nearly 100% of collared fawns and 25% of collared adult does as of a month ago.

Follow me on Instagram @ high_mountain_hunter

mntnguide

WKR
Jury isn't still out... we lost a ton of deer and biologists are expecting 80%+ loss of fawns and much higher than normal loss of adults... there are carcasses all over the hills as the snow recedes... game and fish is prolonging some of the critical winter areas around pinedale till a may 10th opening as of today as well

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Yes lots of loss but I don't think anyone plans on targeting a 1.5 year old buck. Robby has written some superb articles on winter kill and hunting the following year (s) everyone should read them. There won't be as many upper age class bucks. But there will still be prime bucks in thev4.5 to 7.5 age range.
I also like to say "it only takes one"

4ester

WKR
Jury isn't still out... we lost a ton of deer and biologists are expecting 80%+ loss of fawns and much higher than normal loss of adults... there are carcasses all over the hills as the snow recedes... game and fish is prolonging some of the critical winter areas around pinedale till a may 10th opening as of today as well

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

So the exact mortality still unknown, I'd say my statement was accurate. I know we lost a lot of deer, but they have not released a number as of yet. I've attended the F&G meetings, and talked to Fralic quite a bit about it. The mortality numbers they released back in March were from "collared" animals. I've seen fawns heading back up into the foothills, so some made it through.

It's bad, but exactly how bad has yet to be released.

I live and work in the winter range for these deer daily, so I watch them rather closely.

Follow me on Instagram @ high_mountain_hunter

Last edited:
Western WY is a brutal place in the winter. We have rough winters every 5 years or so. I think the deer hunting will be fine. We had several easy winters in a row. Sure a bunch of deer died this winter, it happens pretty often. There will still be a bunch of bucks in the hills