Muledeers should be hunting on flat or mountains?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
It appears it exceeds the limit to attach here, Robby. Suggestions?

You have to break it up into multiple posts according to the word limit the system gave you in the attempted post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bohntr

WKR
Bowhunting Mule Deer in The Sonoran Desert

Bowhunting Mule Deer
In the Sonoran Desert Range
By Roy E. Grace

Of all the different places I’ve bowhunted mule deer at over the years; I’ve discovered that the Sonoran Desert Range is one of the most difficult environments to consistently arrow a mature mule deer in. While generally not for lack of trying on my part, I discovered it usually came down to a few key factors that determined whether I would be successful, or simply just enjoy another experience away from work. I quickly learned that trying to outwit a desert mule deer buck was one of the toughest challenges I’ve endured as a bowhunter, with several seasons yielding nothing but exciting memories of a nomadic buck disappearing into the desert landscape. To say the least; I was hooked!

GETTING STARTED

When I first began to seriously bowhunt desert mule deer almost 30 years ago, I was living in the Sonoran Desert along the California/Arizona border. I really started pursuing them as a way to continue my bowhunting season, as Arizona offers a desert bowhunt from mid-December through the month of January. While many bowhunters from other states may not think this time-frame is important, it really is, as this is generally the time of year when the desert mule deer mate. Bowhunting mule deer in the rut can be very exciting, and usually increases your odds of seeing a mature mule deer during your hunt.

Most of the game management units (desert) in Arizona are open to bowhunting during the mule deer rutting cycle. While there are a few exceptions and slight variations, anyone interested in bowhunting the Grand Canyon State should check the current regulations to ensure you’re hunting a unit that is open. Arizona is a very bowhunter friendly state, as archery-only tags are truly over-the-counter and are valid for the calendar year.

Most desert units in Arizona offer three separate seasons for bowhunters to hunt mule deer throughout the calendar year; January 1-31st, late August to mid-September, and the last two weeks of December. This liberal season allows some bowhunters an opportunity to potentially take two mule deer during the same hunting trip if planned correctly (one near the end of December and another in January), providing they have the appropriate tags & licenses for the respective years. While extremely difficult to attain, the opportunity exists if you have the correct license and tags. Currently, an Arizona hunting license costs $160. Once your license is purchased, a bowhunter must also purchase an archery-only deer tag at an additional cost of $300.

LOCATION IS KEY

Finding a good location to bowhunt desert mule deer is becoming more and more difficult each year, as deer numbers continue to decline in the Sonoran Desert Range. Years of prolonged drought, inconsistent monsoon seasons, and an exploding predator population has really taken a toll on the desert mule deer. However, there are still some areas of the Sonoran Range that have stable concentrations of desert mule deer. As with all mule deer ranges, feed and water are the two key factors when hunting desert mule deer. However, it is more crucial with desert mule deer, as the abundance of each is much lower and far more inconsistent.

Over the years, I’ve discovered most desert mule deer populations tend to concentrate on the desert flats (sea level to 3000” elevation) where mesquite trees are prevalent rather than the higher elevations of desert mountain ranges where oak and juniper are usually found. Mesquite trees produce a bean pod that belongs to the legumes family which is very high in protein, providing necessary food sources that enhance antler development for desert mule deer. Mesquite tree thickets also provide cover for mule deer from the harsh conditions, while making it difficult for bowhunters to spot them. Because of this thick cover, coupled with the vast flat terrain and road less areas, desert mule deer have a tendency to reach maturity and trophy bucks are not uncommon in this range.

Prickly pear cactus, and fruits produced from barrel cactus are also common food sources for desert mule deer as well. Additionally, variations of bitterbrush are also found in some portions of the Sonoran Desert Ranges, which is a highly prized food source for the desert mule deer. Leaves from ocotillo and some desert grasses and forbes are also supplemental food sources for the desert mule deer.

Of all the key factors to look for, none are more important than water. Without a nearby water source, mule deer have a very difficult time surviving the harsh and arid environment the Sonoran Desert offers. Man made dirt tanks, guzzlers, natural springs, and seasonal water catches are a gem in the desert for all wildlife, and mule deer are no exception. Once a person locates these food sources, along with a nearby water source (usually within two miles), the odds of finding desert mule deer will generally increase.

One of the last factors I look for is terrain features. While not mandatory, I can generally increase my odds of locating a good buck if I can find a nearby vantage point (within 1.5 miles) to overlook the area I’m hunting. I will utilize several of these geographical locations throughout my hunt and glass from them during prime mule deer movement. Having high quality binoculars and a good spotting scope and tripod are crucial when glassing the desert for extended periods of time. These techniques not only allow you the opportunity to spot deer, but also learn their daily habits for future ambush spots. If you can find a location with good feed, water, cover, and a vantage point, you may be on your way to an exciting adventure in the Sonoran Desert Range.

bohntr

WKR
***CONTINUED***

BOWHUNTING THE RUT

“Hunt the does!” That was the answer I got when I first started seriously bowhunting desert mule deer in the rut. It was November of 1988 and I was on top of a small desert knoll glassing an open flat when an old gentleman stopped by my truck and hiked over to me. I was on a bonsai weekend scouting trip looking for a buck to hunt in December. The gentlemen turned out to be a long-time sheep guide in Arizona with a lifetime of experience and stories. He relayed to me countless encounters of giant mule deer he had seen over the years and he had my full attention as I relived each encounter with him. His advice to me was very simple; locate different groups of does throughout the year and continually monitor them until the rut approaches. He surmised that eventually a mature buck will show up to tend the does when they approach estrus.

I thought about the advice I was given and decided to try it that year. After locating a few groups of does before season, I made it a point to monitor them as the hunt approached. On the second week of my hunt (last week of December), I was beginning to get frustrated, as I had only seen two bucks and both of them were immature bucks. With only four days left to hunt, I tried covering a lot of ground, with really no plan at all. After failing miserably, and not seeing any deer, I decided to check on the group of does one more time before I headed home. Early the next morning, I spotted the group of does and watched them as they fed into an opening of the mesquite. I couldn’t believe my eyes, as a huge desert mule deer buck entered the opening right behind the last doe. The old sheep guide was spot on!

From that moment on, I have employed that tactic annually. Over the next few years I made it a point to locate several different groups of does within a large area (15-20 miles) and checked on them periodically until a mature buck I was willing to hunt showed up. While this technique has proven very reliable over the years, there is a requirement; enough time (days) in the field.

It has been my experience that most of the mule deer I bowhunt tend to rut the first two weeks of January. While there are some years the rut is earlier / later, the first two weeks of January have been the most consistent for the area I hunt. Having the ability to spend two weeks in the Sonoran Desert Range during this time of year will greatly increase your odds of encountering a mature desert buck. If you only have a few days to hunt, somewhere near the 6th of January may be your best bet, as most units will have some type of rutting activity during that time-frame.

CLOSING THE DISTANCE

Stalking a desert mule deer, during the rut, is one of the most difficult challenges a bowhunter can attempt. Not only is the sparse terrain a challenge, but mature desert bucks usually have several does in the herd, requiring a bowhunter to outsmart several deer at one time. Getting to within 150 yards is generally not the difficult portion of the stalk. While this distance is generally where most muzzleloader and rifle hunts end, it’s just beginning for the bowhunter, as an additional 100 yards is generally needed to ensure a high percentage shot. While many believe that shots less than 50 yards in the Sonoran Desert are unrealistic, it has been my experience that with a lot of patience, the ability to understand mule deer behavior, and the ability to be quiet, I can sneak in undetected providing the wind stays consistent.

I remember a few years back I was talking to a young bowhunter from Arizona in an area I checked on from time to time. I had spotted a mature buck that I’ve seen for the past four years; a heavy P&Y class three point about 24” wide. I decided to hunt the old desert buck and planned my stalk, as a young bowhunter walked up to me and asked if I was seeing anything. I let him view the buck through my spotting scope and told him I was just heading out after the buck. The young man was thrilled and asked if he could watch. While I didn’t really need the added pressure of an audience, I told him I had no objection. I explained where I wanted to get to (within 50 yards) and the route I was going to take. His reply shocked me. He simply stated, “No disrespect, but there is no way you’re going to get that close out here.” He proceeded to tell me how 90 yard shots are the norm here for locals so you need to be a good shooter to hunt these bucks successfully. I smiled and told him maybe this old buck is senile and will let me get closer than that. Two hours later, I was closing in on the bedded buck and trying to maneuver my way through some does and smaller bucks that were bedded amongst the herd. I glassed back towards my vantage point and noticed the young man had left, obviously bored with the amount of time it was taking me to get close. When I got to within 30 yards of the bedded buck, I simply waited another hour until he stood to check on some nearby does. One arrow later and a short tracking job of fifty yards, and the old 3x3 was down. As I packed the buck back towards my truck, the young hunter was driving by and stopped to see how it went. He couldn’t believe I had taken the buck at such a short distance. That’s when he noticed the “carpet” on my boots.

Over the years, I’ve tried several different items to increase my chances of stalking in close to desert mule deer. Since mule deer have some of the best hearing of all North American big game animals, even the most careful and deliberate footsteps will create enough decibels to alert them. While I usually take my boots off and stalk in socks for mule deer in the Rocky Mountains, I soon discovered that doing so in a landscape filled with cactus thorns and jagged rocks made it very difficult on my feet. I spent more time pulling thorns out with tweezers than I did stalking. I needed a better system. That’s when I discovered Carlton’s Cat Paws. This useful item has a thick felt pad that attaches to the bottom of your boots (via Velcro straps), allowing each of your steps to be cushioned, while eliminating nearly 90% of the noise created when your boots contact the dry desert vegetation and rocks predominately found in the Sonoran Desert. Hunting in them all day allows me to walk everywhere quietly and usually undetected. I can’t count how many times I’ve walked up on deer during the middle of the day as I worked my way back to my truck. Cat Paws are found at many archery pro shops and also on-line for about $40.00. There is also a similar product out that is equally as good and provides the ability to change the bottoms when worn. SneekTec offer their ‘Sneek Boot’ overlays and I have to say, my testing of them have shown great results. They retail for $49.

UNDERSTANDING DEER BEHAVIOR

When you talk to successful hunters who consistently take mule deer, you’ll soon discover they really understand mule deer behavior. Knowing where deer tend to feed, bed and move through certain areas are just a few of the traits a seasoned hunter will understand. However, knowing when a mule deer will stand up, bound off, or simply stand somewhat alert and take an arrow is highly beneficial to a bowhunter as well. There’s really no way to teach this skill-set, as it’s learned from years of watching mule deer in their natural habitat on a year round basis. One little thing I’ve learned, that has helped me at times, is looking for the subtle things a mule deer does at times. Next time you are viewing mule deer that are curiously looking at you, watch their tails. Most will flick their tail before they take a step closer or move a short distance. This small detail has helped me over the years, as I knew when to draw my bow and wait for the buck to stop again. While not always foolproof, it does work most of the time.

Knowing rutting mule deer behavior is also important, especially in the Sonoran Desert. I’ve seen bucks cruising areas in the middle of a warm day looking for a receptive doe. Sitting on a vantage point all-day is often required to get a glimpse of nomadic desert mule deer on the move and you’ll probably never see them sitting in camp. Having said that, it can also be a frustrating behavioral trait since desert mule deer have been known to travel long distances to check on does throughout a region. I can remember one year seeing a unique non-typical buck on a flat with some does about an hour before dark. I decided I would watch him until dark and try and hunt him in the morning. The next morning I located the does, but the buck was no longer with them. Two days later, I spotted him in an area I was checking almost 12 miles away! I learned a valuable lesson, if you have him in an area; you better get after him, as he might not be there the following day if there’s not a receptive doe ready to be bred.

MAKING THE SHOT

One of the most important factors in bowhunting desert mule deer is being able to make the shot when it matters. Being a better than average shot is important, but keeping a cool head when the moment arises is equally, if not more, important. I’ve seen some of the best archers in the business miss bucks at 20 yards simply because they allowed their emotions to overcome their shooting ability. Now that’s not to say that even the calmest bowhunters don’t miss animals; quite the contrary. I know I’ve had plenty of mishaps over the years on what should have been easy shots. However, most I could attribute to simply letting my emotions of the situation overcome my brain. I’ve found that if I practice or shoot with pressure applied, I can increase my ability to make the shot when it counts the most. Off-season hunting for predators, competing in tournaments with an audience, or simply shooting with friends as competition, is all ways to reduce an emotional influence and allow you to make a better shot.

CONCLUSION

Bowhunting mule deer in the Sonoran Desert Range can be very challenging and sometimes frustrating for those who have never tried it. However, it can also be highly rewarding, as many areas of the desert Southwest produce trophy quality mule deer with liberal archery seasons. If a bowhunter can find a potentially good location, spend enough time afield, and hunt with patience and dedication, the chances of taking a desert mule deer with a bow and arrow will greatly increase. It’s also a wonderful time of year to bowhunt, as most other states’ seasons have long been closed, offering a unique opportunity to continue our passion.