Nevada Units 43-46 observations/success

RokToy17

FNG
Never hunted in Nevada, and have never been up there, and will not have the time to get pre-season scouting in up there.

Anyone have experience in the area and wish to throw some observations my way? I have done some Google Earth scouting already and feel like I am going in the right direction.

-Looking for recommendations on personal water acquisition. I am planning on hiking in with 10L and keeping another 5-10 gallons at the truck site should I need it.

-Best camo pattern choice for the Mid August to Early Sept time frame. Of note, I only have Kuiu patterns (Vias and Verde) and do not have the coins to do a complete swap out to another companies patterns.

-Are there any special precautions to take in that area.

Thanks, I am in the military stationed in Hawaii, trying to get serious about the Mule Deer passion.

rdllrhd

FNG
I archery hunted this unit last year for five days. It's a unit that has decent road access if you have a four-wheeler or capable 4x4 vehicle. There are 3 small mountain ranges in the unit (Humboldt, Tobin and Sonoma) that are all accessible off of Highway 80 or fairly close by. As far as water goes....there isn't any. At least there wasn't last year. I packed in 300 oz and had to leave after one day due to running out of water. This limited my ability to get off the beaten path and away from the crowds. Antelope season runs concurrently with archery deer, compounding the pressure.

The deer tend to be found on the ridge tops and are most active right at first light. Once the four-wheeler activity began the deer took to cover or would blow out of the basins. It would be my recommendation to get as high and as far away from a road as you can. There are deer there but they definitely know it's hunting season. Bring the best and biggest glass you have. It's big country that benefits from thorough glassing rather than hiking and blowing through your water.

I don't think your choice of camo really matters. Wear whatever will keep you reasonably cool and provide protection from the sun. Don't overlook gloves and some way to protect your face/neck from getting burned. It's hot, dusty and dry.
Feel free to PM me if you have any other specific questions—good luck!