Unit 6 Nevada

Grundy53

WKR
I was fortunate enough to draw the 6 series early rifle mule deer tag the very first year putting in. Needless to say I wasn't expecting to draw anything with zero points. I researched this area prior to putting in for the draw however I was also researching other areas as well as other states. Now I get to focus all my research on this one area. However I admittedly know little of this area. I'm planning on taking a trip down there in a couple weeks to do some scouting and probably another trip in August or September. But that obviously won't be enough to really learn the area. I have a couple general questions that I hope someone will be able to answer. The first is will I be able to get away from roads? Or are there roads everywhere? Also, I know this area receives a relatively high amount of tags (at least by Nevada standards). Will I have a tough time getting away from crowds? Will hiking generally get me away? If not will I still have a good chance at success even with the crowds? What is the weather like early to mid October?

Thank you in advance for any help. If anyone has questions about hunting in Washington or the Idaho panhandle (for whitetails) I would be happy to help

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

mtndog357

FNG
Good morning, Good tag you drew. You will see many bucks, even 4 x 4's. Problem will be finding that big one. Most will be in the 20" range. Bigger ones are there, just hard to locate. No, you won't be able to get away from roads, mostly old mining roads. Quad or UTV type roads. I won't take my truck on most of them. Be careful on these, heavy rains have washed out more than a few. You MUST contact Maggie Creek Ranch in Hunter, Nevada. Right off I-80. They control a good chunk of land in area 6. They give out, yes GIVE, passes. But you must go register with them to get one. Friendly folks. Don't road hunt in the area of Red House. They watch very closely. But if your bored and want to see elk and huge Muley's, that's where they are. Glass the base of cliffs, in the shadows. Bigs bucks like to bed there during the heat of the day. That's an over view. Feel free to reach out for more specific info.

OP
Grundy53

Grundy53

WKR
Thank you for the info. I really appreciate it. I'll definitely bring my shotgun. I've never hunted chukars before but always wanted to.

I drew the archery tag for 6 last year and hunted two weeks in early to mid August. You will not be able to get away from roads and ATV hunters, except for the most rugged terrain. The problem was that the rugged terrain held very few deer and even less water (for camping).

With GoogleEarth you can see the ATV trails. But keep in mind that the GoogleEarth image is a few years old so there will be more trails by the time you get there. It seemed like everybody had an ATV.

The most success that I had was to look for the really plain-looking hills with minimal cover. By using your binos/spotter you will occasionally find a buck bedding up under an isolated mahogany bush. I slipped in to 20 yards and patiently waited for one to stand for two hours. When a truck drove up the nearest ridge he stood up. Only problem was that he was standing in a hole and his chest was covered by sage. The deer will bed in depressions under the brush. He finally blew out and ended the hunt.

Beware of the private land within the NF.

OP
Grundy53

Grundy53

WKR
Thank you. I have Onxmaps, so that should help with any private land issue.

I used OnXmaps last year. You really have to have it there. The problem is that there are private places that surround a lot of public. This effectively shuts out access to the public. I watched a guy drive his ATV over a fence (it was mostly layed down from other people before him). There is a good population of deer but you'll work for one.

OP
Grundy53

Grundy53

WKR
I used OnXmaps last year. You really have to have it there. The problem is that there are private places that surround a lot of public. This effectively shuts out access to the public. I watched a guy drive his ATV over a fence (it was mostly layed down from other people before him). There is a good population of deer but you'll work for one.
I'm fine with having to work for one. That's the fun part. At least for me. Besides, I'm used to hunting Washington state otc so I'm used to having to work for my deer. Lol.

OP
Grundy53

Grundy53

WKR
I'm trying to plan at least one scouting trip this summer. When would be better? July or August?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GeoHunter

FNG
I had this tag two years in a row a couple years ago. My first year was my first time hunting ever, and I really didn't know what I was doing. I road hunted the whole time and saw a lot of deer, but no bucks. Second year I actually parked the truck and went for a hike.

The difference was astounding. It's hard to find areas that are a long ways from a road, but they do exist. Even getting more than a half mile from a road reduced the crowds to almost nothing (though you can almost always see someone driving around on the closest ridge line), and I started seeing many bucks every day. I never did see any monsters, but they are out there.

If you would like me to point you towards some of the areas, feel free to send me a pm.

OP
Grundy53

Grundy53

WKR
I'm heading out tomorrow morning for a scouting trip. I think I've narrowed my focus down to unit 61 and the North end of 62. I can't wait to see some new country!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Things just got way more crowded. They did the same last year but waited until after the buck seasons. I hunted area 6 last year and there were people everywhere. with these new tags during the general season it will be an absolute ZOO up there this year. Good Luck

Nevada Department of Wildlife