Colorado unit 77/771/78 archery deer

I drew an archery deer tag for Colorado 77/771/78 and am looking for some help. If anyone has any experience in these units chasing mule deer, I would love some help on where I might start. It is a huge area! I live in AZ and am willing to trade any information for anyone looking to come to archery hunt in Arizona. I have hunted a lot of the state for all sorts of animals and would be willing to help if anyone wants to trade info.

By the way, today is the last day to put in for the AZ fall deer rifle hunts.

shoot me an email if want. [email protected]

thanks,
Darren

dotman

WKR
Some great bucks in all areas of the units. Good luck, I recommend you scout but if you can't just pick an area and hunt hard.

ccarter

FNG
Hey AZArcheryAddict,

I was up there for an archery elk hunt last year. We were down near the town of Chromo, near the NM border. That country down toward New Mexico isn't quite high enough for early archery deer, IMO. I'd head up north of Pagosa in the true high country if it were me. Never been there, but looking at it from a distance, it looked to me like true high country muley habitat. I believe there are places you can drive to get you up pretty high and hike from there. sorry I don't have more specifics for you. I only know that we saw a few does and small bucks where we were, but I would hunt higher if I were after deer. best of luck.

gumbl3

WKR
I'll be there too. first time and I won't be able to scout so I'm going in blind, I'm pumped! Going to try and be there for right around the opener for at least a week

OP
A
Thanks for the replies so far. I am super excited to get up there, and hope to try and scout sometime this summer. Too bad it's a 7 hour drive one way. I think we might try to go the first week in September. Trying also to decide if I should buy an elk tag for while I'm there.

Agla06

FNG
Thanks for the replies so far. I am super excited to get up there, and hope to try and scout sometime this summer. Too bad it's a 7 hour drive one way. I think we might try to go the first week in September. Trying also to decide if I should buy an elk tag for while I'm there.
A 7 hour drive is an easy long weekend scouting trip or 3. I'd kill to be able to do that. I'm 17 hours from Colorado each way. Heck, drop the wife off at a spa in Santa Fe and pick her up on the way home. Win, win.

dotman

WKR
A 7 hour drive is an easy long weekend scouting trip or 3. I'd kill to be able to do that. I'm 17 hours from Colorado each way. Heck, drop the wife off at a spa in Santa Fe and pick her up on the way home. Win, win.

That's what I was thinking, wish I was only 7hrs away, 14hrs one way to just get to the edge of the units.