Wasatch West advice for a first time bow hunter? (Utah)

Augustus46

Lil-Rokslider
This is my first year bow hunting and I drew a tag for Wasatch West. I'm thinking of going on the east side of Box Elder peak or near Twin Peaks. It seems like every where I try on the west face siding, I just can't get away from all the hikers, campers, and people with their dogs. I'm thinking I'm going to be banging my head against the wall for a while since I grew up rifle hunting, but any info or tips to lessen then pain would be much appreciated.

Would love to get some advice from anyone with experience bow hunting the area. If you live here in Utah, I wouldn't mind a hiking buddy as well.

PM's or even a phone call would be welcome if you don't want any info to be on the www.

You will have company from hikers and hunters. If you could go during the week it will help some.
It's surprisingly big Country for being so close to a city. Hopefully you can find someone to tag team the hunt with, your best strategy will be bedding a buck down and stalking in. Helps a lot to have a spotter with hand signals.

I've hunted the unit before. My advice would be to hike in as far from the roads as you can, which unfortunately isn't that far since there's a lot of roads in the unit. Even hiking in far still expect to see other hunters and hikers. Even the most remote spots will still have people. Try to get to your glassing spot before it gets light and watch them bed down then plan your stalk like mtrunner said.

Feel free to send me a pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
A

Augustus46

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, that's a good idea. I plan on taking a few days off for the hunt so I'm hoping hunting during the week will help.

HUNT JR

WKR
I hunted it last year, didn't have success but I think you can have some by hunting escape routes and hunting around other guys. Seemed like no matter where we went someone else was there which I think is common. Steep country, should be a fun hunt though.

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
I live close to the area and have an archery deer tag in the same unit. I hunted up there a little bit last year and would like to hit it harder this year. I live near Box Elder peak and trailheads to access it. I usually scout and hunt by myself but may be interested in a buddy to hike with. Shoot me a PM with info of where you're located and if you're interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
A

Augustus46

Lil-Rokslider
I've hunted the unit before. My advice would be to hike in as far from the roads as you can, which unfortunately isn't that far since there's a lot of roads in the unit.
Feel free to send me a pm.

This has been what I've been running into, seems like there are roads everywhere.

Start shooting your bow everyday.

Read Dwight Schuhs mule deer book, specifically the portion on glassing and stalking.

sneaky

"DADDY"
This has been what I've been running into, seems like there are roads everywhere.
Depends on which end of the unit you are talking about. South end has tons of roads, north end has hikers. I have that tag as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk