Paunsaugunt Utah Mule Deer

Benjblt

WKR
My wife and I are taking a site seeing trip through Utah. I was hoping to go find some big mule deer bucks to show her. It will be the 1st week of October. Does anybody have any suggestion on where to go to easily see some good mule deer. I realize this is a random question but seeing this is such a hard tag to draw and I won't be getting it anytime soon I thought there might be someone out there with a suggestion for just site seeing a few big bucks. Maybe its not that easy but I would enjoy looking.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Early Oct is a rough time to find big bucks they will be in heavy cover during that time. Early Nov much better prospect of finding some bigger deer.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

That's a tough time. If it's warm at the time, deer will still be up top. If it gets cold there's a good chance a lot of the deer will leave and start migrating.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Did you mention the pauns because that's the part of the state you'll be in or will you be in other places as well?
If you plans have you near SLC your best bet for big deer is Antelope Island. But even the LE units will have been hunted by that time and will take some work to find top end bucks.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Thanks guys. I realize it will be tough to see deer that time of year but we will be driving around that country so it will be fun to look around. We are going to be visiting many of the parks in the Southern half of the state for an 8 day period. I didn't know if there was a specific area that it would be good to drive out.

I worked at Bryce Canyon National Park for a few summers and falls and you can often see some nice bucks hanging out along the main road in the early morning and evenings. Might be worth a shot if you're already there. Probably won't see anything huge but they do like to hide on the park during the hunts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk