Idaho super hunt winner!

AzThor

FNG
I was going to intaduce myself in the FNG but I thought I would just dive in.

My dad won one of the Idaho super hunt raffle tags this year. I found out about this forum when I bought Robbie Dennings book. Im surprised it took me this lomg. I'm not an expert hunter nor am I a beginner I believe no one is an expert when it comes to hunting because you learn new stuff every time you're in the hills.

Being from Southern Arizona, I'm curious when the rut is truly on in southern Idaho. In Arizona it fluctuates from the north (The Strip/Kaibab) late November to the southern desert, mid to late December.

I'm not looking for secret spots by any means, I'm just curious if you could have any hunt in the state, what hunt would you choose?

We have about a month put aside to do this hunt and we are a father/son DIY team. With outside help always welcome.
We plan on starting in 45 and moving around after that to the 36s, 40s, 69 and end up in 54 if need be.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I know AZ pretty well for all big game and the draw process,if you need help. Basically a I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine.

I'm glad I found this site looks like its full of a wealth of informarion and good hunters.
Good luck this year and be safe out there!!

~Mark

elkguide

WKR
54 is definitely one that I would be looking at.
There are lots of very good areas but the good ones will require some boots on the ground.

Very jealous by the way and welcome to the forum.

If you really want to hunt the rut you want to be up here in November. I think at that time your efforts are best focused on unit 11 or unit 40 although a monster could come from almost anywhere in the state at that time of year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also I don't believe 54 has any seasons after October. Then I looked and I was wrong. Nov 15-30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RustyHazen

Lil-Rokslider
I would hit 44 early, since it starts before the others. I saw two bucks harvested out of there last year. My elk hunting partner and a friend's son. 195 and 214. There are bigger bucks in there, too.

OP
A

AzThor

FNG
Thank you 44 is on our hit list as wel . It's going to be nice being able to cross the road if need be.

OP
A

AzThor

FNG
54 is definitely one that I would be looking at.
There are lots of very good areas but the good ones will require some boots on the ground.

Very jealous by the way and welcome to the forum.
Thank you. We plan on putIng on some miles.