Idaho Unit 14

Steel4sam

FNG
Hey guys I drew the controlled mule deer tag for this unit. I've never hunted it before but will be there to put boots on the ground in 2 weeks. The season is long, I'll be doing most of my hunting during the otc Elk season. If anyone has tips, tricks or ideas for me. Thank you for your help! This will be a special trip for my dads 60th birthday!

Pueblo

FNG
I hunted it for a few days during the November heat wave last year for whitetail during the rut. Of course all I saw were mule deer bucks, some pretty big. They were hanging with does in south facing draws above creeks flowing west to the Salmon River. Those were also the least treed areas. I would think that they would be somewhere else when you are there. This would not be my choice for mule deer hunting as it’s way too forested for my style of hunting; like being in western Oregon where I live. It also has a lot of roads.

OP
S

Steel4sam

FNG
I hunted it for a few days during the November heat wave last year for whitetail during the rut. Of course all I saw were mule deer bucks, some pretty big. They were hanging with does in south facing draws above creeks flowing west to the Salmon River. Those were also the least treed areas. I would think that they would be somewhere else when you are there. This would not be my choice for mule deer hunting as it’s way too forested for my style of hunting; like being in western Oregon where I live. It also has a lot of roads.

Thanks for your help!

OP
S

Steel4sam

FNG

After scouting this country I would love to hear more about your experience is there a private message feature on this?

I have this tag. For some reason difficult to find any useful information on GMU 14.

OP
S

Steel4sam

FNG
Ha! I know! Have you been up there? I just got back from a scouting trip. Steep, insanely thick country.

Steep for sure. Found several spots I'm interested in. Should be easy to get away from human traffic. I love the steep stuff as do Mule deer. Fortunately, most people don't.